MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #314 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
My life has been in a state of flux. I thought I was likely to go and do my MA at SF State, in south San Francisco, but that didn't happen. Instead, I got accepted to a much better program at NYU, and decided to travel all the way out to New York to take full advantage of the opportunity.

At any rate, I'm very happy with my new life in the big city, though I've only been here about a week, and I'm still adjusting.

I found a gym that I liked: Mendez Boxing. The gym is a very traditional boxing gym, but [realistically] that is probably a good thing for me right now. The last few years my body has deteriorated in some important and troubling ways. I'm experiencing a lot of joint pain, especially in my neck and back and knees, and I think that a lot of that had to do with judo and jiu-jitsu. Those are still forms that I love, but I think that giving them a break for a while will be good for me.

Anyway, I did my first day at Mendez boxing today, and I'm feeling the burn in the cardio already. I worked with one of the trainers, Hector, and he was very helpful, though most of the form we were working through was fairly basic. He did have me drilling some new approaches to the uppercuts, and using them in rapid succession, which is something I've always thought would be very useful in boxing, but hadn't really drilled properly.

Overall, I'm looking forward to a new start in NYC and some time training in something a little more focused on the hands, with a very different understanding of conditioning.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote