MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - MMA Move Advice for A Dad To Teach His Kid.. Thanks!

View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
SendThemHome
MMA Fanatic

SendThemHome has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life B Ez View Post
Okay, I feel like this has gone on too long. To be honest, reading through this today with a clear head, every part of ny brain is screaming stop. As an instructor I read parents like you. I mean that with all do respect and I don't want to offend, but it is exactly how I feel. Your son is training at a gym, he has instructors that are professionals and are paid/qualified to teach him. I'm sorry but you are not. If you were an amazing wrestler that great, teach him to wrestle, something you know about. DO NOT GO ON YOUTUBE and think you can teach your son something. It will lead to far more problems, I'm sure there are plenty of things that you can show him and they will work now because he's young and would have no real chance once he gets older and people know what is happening, meanwhile he hasn't been working on anything else because he hasn't needed to. You are asking for problems, I can't tell you how to raise your son, but I will leave you with this. His instructors aren't coming into your home and telling you what manners he needs or what morals he should have, that a parent's(you) job. So let the instructors do their job and stay out of it. Like I said if you want to help him teach him to wrestle, as you said you were an all American or something along those lines, you are able to teach that, not bjj or judo. Or if you really want to teach him bjj or judo get into the adult programs and learn before you do anything more.

I am truly not trying to offend you, I'm just telling you from my experience as an instructor things like this generally don't turn out good.

Edit: if you can afford it any qualified gym will offer private lessons, though they can be pricey. If you are concerned about your sons progress I would go that route. If the head instructor is too expensive or won't do it, ask if one of the ranked belts are available, they generally are cheaper and can help a beginner just as much.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

Thank you for your input. I get what you're saying, but with all due respect, I think that going on a forum for advice is pretty far from going on too long.. I'm just trying to figure out what to do to help my kid.

I have wrestled some of the best people in the world. I don't feel like I should really have to prove myself here. I know I am capable of taking out a lot of people.

My kid is young. I know in wrestling I would be fine w/ a dad teaching double arm bars or a fireman's carry even if he wasn't a wrestler himself. I can't imagine I would ruin his technique for life this young by showing him the basics of an arm triangle or an arm bar in MMA.

Working with him 5 days a week 1 on 1 being a wrestler since 6 years old w/ a college scholarship and having him in class 2 days a week has to be better than giving just 2 days a week to an instructor w/ 30 kids.

That being said, I'm going to see if I can get a black belt to teach both my son and I the basics of BJJ.

Does anyone here have an idea of what a good price would be for a private session with my son and I?

Thanks.

Last edited by SendThemHome : 08-22-2012 at 11:57 PM.
SendThemHome is offline   Reply With Quote