Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UFC 151 canceled, Jones-Machida 2 at UFC 152 in Toronto

29K views 364 replies 102 participants last post by  Budhisten 
#1 ·
@benfowlkesMMA
And there's the email about a forthcoming announcement from Dana White regarding UFC 151. Shit just got real.

@bokamotoESPN
Dana White to make announcement on 151 today during media call at 2 ET.

@DamonMartin
Dana White to make special announcement about UFC 151 today at 2pm ET. Stay tuned folks! #UFC

@arielhelwani
UFC just announced that @danawhite will hold a conference call at 2 pm ET regarding the fate of UFC 151. Stay tuned.

@mattlindland
Guess who is replacement? RT @arielhelwani: UFC just announced that @danawhite will hold a conference call at 2 pm ET regarding fate UFC 151

Not sure what it could be, so I didn't put this in the Hendo thread.

Reactions: No_Mercy
#146 ·
michael ‏@bisping
Jones said he's not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. .... Just sayin
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
Dana: good for you Jon Jones that you have money but there's a bunch of guys that needed to fight to feed their families.

The second quote is what really concerns me.

#148 ·
The PPV model with the one superfight promoted for months and months is so fragile and things like this is just bound to happen. Dana has no right to go off on Greg like that, Greg has no obligation towards the UFC, his only obligation is to advice Jones the way he thinks is best. And it's not like Jones doesn't have the final say in this matter. If he wanted to fight this weekend he would have fought Chael, regardless of what Greg is saying.

#149 ·
I'll be honest as much as I feel like slating both Jones and Jackson for this I am going to hold my tongue. I mean whilst neither Chael or Machida were really suitable opponents based on their current records. I really feel that he should have took the fight just because at the end of the day people paid to see him fight on that day. It puts a bad taste in people's mouths for the next event Jones fights at. Because what happens if he does it again? However the other guys I feel bad for are the fighters who busted their asses training for this event. The guys who spent money putting camps together and took time out of their lives preparing for these fights. That is who I really feel bad for.

#150 ·
On the positive.

Jones/Machida
Benavidez/Johnson
Bisping/Stann

Atleast they'll get a good number. lol

#152 ·
And all the undercard fighters that have trained for months now, with families to feed and whatnot... that just makes me ******* sick. Why not put this on FX as a free card with the Ellenberger fight as main event? Dana has stated many times that FX just can't get enough UFC footage. Surely they could have managed this in 8 days. This seems more like another of the Dana White hissy fits rather than a well thought out decision.

#155 ·
unbelievable was looking forward to seeing if Hendo could pull it off then excited to see if sonnen could hold his own on 8 weeks notice then jones said no!

Gained allot of respect for chael taking a fight on 8 weeks notice. Lost a ton of respect for jones buy turning it down.

Bull shit champions should step up and fight whoever they put in front of them. Once you earn that title you must respect the duty that comes with it namely taking on all challengers.

#156 ·
Ha, a rematch in the same city. Another one sided beating and another low draw main event for Jones.

I like Jones but he should of saw the dollar values with Chael vs Machida.

Oh well, UFC 151 will be a snoozefest for a main event. I hope the co-main event and undercard and prelims prove themselves.

I think Dana should offer bigger rewards for these guys since there is no Main Event.

#157 ·
I just caught the end of Jackson's response, he said Jones asked him what he should do and he told him to turn it down.

Dana offered Machida the fight, not sure if that was before or after he offered it to Sonnen and he turned it down. Why should Jones be flamed for doing the same thing idk but Dana is having a nervous breakdown.

#158 ·
Charlie Brenneman ‏@SpaniardMMA
@jonnybones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks. @ufc
One of my favs :)

#164 ·
Insane. I'm really bummed. I wanted to see if Hendo had something up his sleeve.

I can see both sides of the issue, but this is VERY bad for Jones, who has been making himself look like a complete jackass lately. This is only going to make things much worse. People already see Jones as this thin-skinned, immature, pompous young kid with a chip on his shoulder. He has a bad relationship with the media, the fans don't like him, he's not as big of a draw as the UFC wants him to be, and now fans and fighters alike are going to call him out for this. And knowing Jones, he'll react like a 12 year old and start throwing a fit about the backlash.

#167 ·
Insane. I'm really bummed. I wanted to see if Hendo had something up his sleeve.

I can see both sides of the issue, but this is VERY bad for Jones, who has been making himself look like a complete jackass lately. This is only going to make things much worse. People already see Jones as this thin-skinned, immature, pompous young kid with a chip on his shoulder. He has a bad relationship with the media, the fans don't like him, he's not as big of a draw as the UFC wants him to be, and now fans and fighters alike are going to call him out for this. And knowing Jones, he'll react like a 12 year old and start throwing a fit about the backlash.
This exactly. Just like the DUI, somehow he'll make it not his fault and it's all the "haters" kid is delusional.

Also just curious. Has Greg Jackson telling Jon to not take the fight been confirmed by Greg? Wonder what will happen if it turns out Jon just turned this fight down.

#165 ·
To everyone talking about just putting the card on Fuel or FX, I can't see they can do that with all the fighters contracts and the TV networks needing to make space. It isn't as easy as just putting it on cable.

#166 ·
Not so long ago there was this beast of a man named Mike Tyson. Nobody truly wanted to fight him, he made millions upon millions before success got the best of him and destroyed who he was.

Now there is a man named Jon Jones. His destiny is his own, what path is he chosing?

#168 ·
I am very disappointed by the fact that JBJ vs Hendo won't happen but that's about it.

I can understand that Jones won't fight a Cheal Sonnen on 8 days notice for the title! Somebody already said that Cheal had nuttin to loose while Jones had to make an unpopular decision.

Ask yourself what you would do in that very situation being the champion, having trained for a total different opponent.

Off course Cheal is jumping on this one, why wouldn't he?

I never thought I would actually defend Jones because I am far from being a fan of his. Yet I do understand that he takes the safe road. I can't really blame him and Jackson for this.

Dana is understandably pissed that his big fight is not happening but at the end of the day, it didn't happen because Hendo blew his freakin knee a week before the fight, not because of Jon Jones.

#169 ·
I think everybody can agreed regardless of Jones' position as champion. He just shot himself in the foot about PPV buys when Chael would of 'brought in the numbers' that he was looking for.

Plus, it would of been something new to watch and see the trash talks fly.

If he thinks his match with Machida is more profitable, it isn't as we fans seen this fight in Toronto before. It will be a repeat unless Machida get lucky.

I'm sure the world is cheering for Machida now as Jones just loss a lot of supporters for this fight in Toronto.

I like Jones but as mentioned before, he needs a PR for his mouth and opinions.

#172 · (Edited)
I wonder if they asked JJ who he would agree to fight on short notice...

I mean, is it just me, or does it feel like the UFC simply pulled the plug on this card without making any real effort to save it?

What about all the thousands of people who made plans to travel out to the venue?

Screw 'em.

What about the other fighters on the card?

Screw 'em.

Surely there's something we can do to save this event?

Nope.

Weak sauce, IMO. Whatever happened to, "The show must go on"??

#178 ·
I wonder if they asked JJ who he would agree to fight on short notice...

I mean, is it just me, or does it feel like the UFC simply pulled the plug on this card without making any real effort to save it?

What about all the thousands of people who made plans to travel out to the venue?

Screw 'em.

What about the other fighters on the card?

Screw 'em.

Surely there's something we can do to save this event?

Nope.

Weak sauce, IMO.

Machida was in the air and headed to Brazil apparently.

Chael was ready to go but Jon didn't accept and they can't make Jon fight, that left them with....Ellenberger/Hieron, and do you really think people are gonna go out of their way to see that?

Blame is 50/50 here, UFC should have put out a better product, even though they did have Koscheck/Ellenberger originally, and Jones for not fighting Sonnen.

#177 ·
I guess Jones also turned down Weidman as well? Going around a little on twitter.

How ****ed up is this. Guys who have taken fights on really short notice.

-Chirs Leben fought twice in two weeks
-Chirs Weidman fought Damien Maia
-Charlie Brennaman fought on ONE day notice
-Bisping fought Sonnen on eight days notice
-Oh and to really dig this one in, Jon Jones won the UFC title on short notice

Those are just off the top of my head.

#183 ·
Having more time to reflect on the situation, I guess I didn't realise just how many other people are negatively effected by this move. A truly selfish decision from the Greg Jackson camp. At first I was just thinking, what's the big deal, Chael didn't deserve a shot any way, but the consequences of cancelling this event are much bigger than that, so many people got screwed over.

If Jones had any dignity left, he'd contact the UFC headquarters, apologise and accept the fight with Sonnen. It isn't too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.