Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UFC 151 canceled, Jones-Machida 2 at UFC 152 in Toronto

29K views 364 replies 102 participants last post by  Budhisten 
#1 ·
@benfowlkesMMA
And there's the email about a forthcoming announcement from Dana White regarding UFC 151. Shit just got real.

@bokamotoESPN
Dana White to make announcement on 151 today during media call at 2 ET.

@DamonMartin
Dana White to make special announcement about UFC 151 today at 2pm ET. Stay tuned folks! #UFC

@arielhelwani
UFC just announced that @danawhite will hold a conference call at 2 pm ET regarding the fate of UFC 151. Stay tuned.

@mattlindland
Guess who is replacement? RT @arielhelwani: UFC just announced that @danawhite will hold a conference call at 2 pm ET regarding fate UFC 151

Not sure what it could be, so I didn't put this in the Hendo thread.

Reactions: No_Mercy
#185 ·
Sorry guys it's not Jones fault the card got cancelled. He held up his side of the agreement to fight Hendo. Dan is the one that pulled out and Dana is the one that cancelled the entire card. Jones isn't obligated to partake in freak show fights with a MW coming off a beat down at 185.

Also, If Dana was concerned about the other fighters financial well being he would have salvaged the card or just paid them anyway(Yes he can afford it)...But he didn't do that. He obviously doesn't give a shit about anyone else except his own bottom line.

#189 ·
Without a doubt Dana told Jones that if he turned down this fight that the UFC would have to cancel the card. That and the fact that he'd be fighting another wrestler that doesn't have KO power should be enough motivation to get in there, make sure everyone gets paid and just fight.

It is sad that the UFC cards of late have been built like boxing cards. Its a disaster waiting to happen but in reality Jones is just being selfish and I really hope that this comes back to bite him in the ass.

#192 ·
Weidman just retweeted this article.

"We said we're all in," Weidman said. "We just have to wait for [Ray] Longo to land, but we're all in. Just put us in the mix. Who knows if it ever got back to Jon Jones though. But UFC knew."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/mixed-...-151-1.3923322

Looks like Weidman offered to fight him too.

#197 ·
I've defended nearly every "questionable" move and statement by JBJ. he's a young guy, I said. He's been thrust into the spotlight...

This, though....I just don't see how I can defend or back him. Come ON Bones.....the only thing I hate worse than having people see me backing a horse that doesn't deserve it is having that conversation with MYSELF.

#204 ·
The UFC is not entitled to anything by any means, but they tossed Jones a bone(lol) with Chael, and he sat there like he was too good for it. The guy is 25, has a deal with Nike, prolly some other badass sponsors, has been hyped to the max, has been given the limelight, and it's all thanks to the UFC. I'm not saying he owes anything to the UFC, but it was unreasonable for him not to fight Chael on short notice considering he had a full training camp, Chael's arguably less dangerous than Hendo but poses a similar challenge, and Chael would have had 8 days to prepare for the fight. There are three ways to formulate a decision, one is based on logic, the next is based on what the right thing to do would be(ethics), and the last is on the emotional impact it has on you personally as an individual. Jones chose the last one, and focused on himself only. If I lose the belt to Chael on 8 days notice it would be terrible for my career, Chael doesn't deserve to fight me, I don't really need the money from this event that bad. Whatever.

#205 ·
This sucks.But its NOT surprise in MMA that fighters get injuried like this, why does UFC act like this is so much worse than other times?

oh yes he said no to Sonnen.So what? Im sure there would been other options out there IF they really wanted it to work.

Why shut down a whole card Dana? You talk about Greg Jackson and Jon Jones being that bad..but you guys where the ones that decided to cancel the entire card!

to blame all or most of this on Greg Jackson and Jon Jones...comeeee on Dana!

#208 ·
From a business aspect if you look at the total cost that went into UFC 151 then ruining the event, it would probably would have been a lost if they went through with it without the main event. My guess it was cheaper to cancel than go through with it.

#209 ·
Greg Jackson has responded:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2...na-white-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-mauro-ranallo

Minutes after UFC president Dana White announced that UFC 151 was cancelled because Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones declined to fight potential Dan Henderson injury replacement Chael Sonnen, Mauro Ranallo talked to Jones' head trainer Greg Jackson about the fallout, specifically White's comments about Jackson being "an (expletive) sport killer".

Jackson pointed out that Jones didn't turn down the fight on eight days notice but that it's really three days due to fight week being full of weight cutting and media obligations.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days notice and I don't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said on The MMA Show. "Three days to fight a guy that caliber is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

Jackson said that to fight someone of Sonnen's caliber, you "need to have a full training camp. That would seem smart to me. Fighting on three days notice isn't taking (the sport) seriously to me." He added that the decision wasn't solely his, but that Jones' entire team met and discussed whether to take the Sonnen fight on short notice. He merely added his opinion.

At the time of the interview, Jackson said he hadn't talked to Jones yet. He was also surprised at the negative reaction from White. After the jump, get the details about what Jackson thinks about his relationship with White given Thursday's comments.

SBN coverage of UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson

On his feelings toward White now, Jackson said that he wasn't mad but confused. "I really like Dana and respect him...there is no ill feelings. I'm more confused than anything else."
"It's a serious fight with serious ramifications. I don't think I need to reach out to Dana. I didn't mean to cancel an event and was asked to give an opinion and I gave it. We all got together and are on the same sheet of music. These guys are professional promoters and that's what they do," he continued.

"I didn't know they had it all riding on one fight. It's one of those things...as a trainer. I'll give you my opinion. I'm not a yes man...I do what's best for my guy. I'm surprised by the veracity of his response but that's my opinion."

Jackson also said that if Sonnen was presented as an opponent for Jones in late-September instead of Lyoto Machida, they would have taken the fight.

"In this case (of the short notice fight), it's a world title fight in the best sport in the world on three days notice. This isn't backyard brawling...it's a professional sport."

"I think Chael is brilliant. He circumvented an entire division...went right from Anderson (Silva) to Jon. It's brilliant...he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm always impressed by him," Jackson said.

#213 ·
UFC is the one to blame here. Why should a champion take a fight on 7 days notice ? the last 7 days are just media and weight cutting days! Of course loads of people and going to step up to fight the champ they will have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

The UFC should NOT of cancelled the whole event! The UFC has let the fighters down and every fan who booked holiday, travel and accommodation for this card! Yeah they can get a refund on the tickets but all the latter not a chance.. moving this to a free event would of been the best option for everyone. The fighters would of got paid and the fans would of got a card to attend.

Dana just had a roid rage!

#217 ·
As much as I dislike jones I'll admit its not his fault here, the ufc dropped the ball. The man is the champ, under no circumstances should he be force to defend his belt when his opponent is the one to withdraw. It's the fight game, but at the end of the day Jon Jones is the one who has everything to lose and nothing to gain by taking a fight on short notice.

#220 ·
I agree, Im with Dana on this ( don't happen often) If your the f**king world champion and considered a p4p best, you fight, period. Especially a guy thats smaller, unprepared and will make you a ton of money. I never was the biggest JJ fan but I liked the guy, Im really not impressed with any of these developments.

#221 ·
Anyone that says its not JBJs fault and he shouldnt be disrespected should be standing up and giving huge props to every other fighter who either takes a fight on short notice or accepts a replacement fight.

Who is really at a disadvantage - the guy who trained to fight Hendo for months being offered a fighter very similar or the other fighter who hasnt been training.

JBJ has nothing to gain but everything to lose? Really, this is the type of garbage that ruined boxing and made UFC so great. Champs took on whoever the UFC deemed worthy of the title shot. Poor JBJs, wont fight Chael, thinks Lyoto is beneath him. Talk about a diva.

And I will say JBJ is a crazy talent and I was pumping him since the Bonnar fight but as of late this type of behaviour is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.