Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chael Sonnen declares himself to be the UFC light heavyweight champion… by forfeit

9K views 101 replies 46 participants last post by  Killz 
#1 ·
“When I decided to go after the light heavyweight championship, I knew that I’d win it like I always do. I just didn’t know it would be by forfeit. But I do stand before you today the light heavyweight champion. I’m in the same position today as I was yesterday. The fight’s going to happen sooner or later. It’s not like I’m not going to beat this guy up. It’s just a matter of when. My biggest concern isn’t with the fight or myself at all. My biggest concern is with Dan Henderson and his health. I have a personal relationship with him. I know his kids and how much he loves playing with them, so I just hate to see the guy’s health in any kind of jeopardy.”

“I don’t know the mindset or who’s around (Jones). I only know who’s around me. Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, Randy Couture. These are the guys who molded me not just physically, but mentally. They would fight anybody, any time, anywhere. Some people mean it when they say that. I’m from that same mold. I’d never disrespect those guys that gave so much to me by being the first one from our group to back down. And I never say that to sound like a tough guy. I say that because I think it’s really important that you’re never a bully in this sport. I hate them so much.

“They are all a bunch of punks and bullies and I will never be one. The only litmus test I have for myself—am I willing to fight anybody? When the day comes that I won’t fight somebody, I won’t fight anybody. If there is someone out there that makes me go ‘I’m not fighting him,’ then I’m not going to fight anyone anymore. That’s what bullies do. Bullies pick and choose who they get in fights with based on who they think they can beat. I will never, ever do that. When the day comes that I back down, I will quit this sport.”

“This was his biggest opportunity. There’s no question I could beat Jon Jones. Jon Jones can beat me too. But I can beat him. If you ever wanted to stack the deck in his favor, you’d have done it on September 1. You’d have called me out of the blue, switched weight classes on me, put me on a plane to do a press tour, put me everywhere in the world except in the practice room. That was the opportunity he had. I could have beaten him, but he could have beaten me too. The next time we meet up, when I’ve had a camp and my coaches around me, that’s not going to be the case. It’s really important to win these fights, and the world saw me lose a fight. I fell down. I’m not going to fall down again.”

“Jon Jones is a delusional brat. He talks of being a businessman?! What?! What risks did he take? What capital did he raise? Where exactly is his office located? How many people does me employ? Hey JJ, put me on the phone with your secretary… Oh wait, what?”
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1308996-chael-sonnen-exclusive-ufc-champion-jon-jones-is-a-delusional-brat

See less See more
#48 ·
If anything he says pisses Jones off, at this point I'm willing to say I like Chael.

Anything he does to get under Jones's skin, to rile him up, to let him know that he's a selfish asshole that let fans down, let fighters down, let the UFC down, then I'm good with it. It's only the truth after all.

#50 ·
I can see why Sonnen does this ( for money and fame ofcourse) but it still makes me want to puke in my mouth.

A fighter who lacks the skill to compete at the highest level who always get titleshots because he can troll, fk me thats sad. And it just shows that all you really need to do to get rich and famous in the UFC is talk alot of shit and be far far up Danas hole.

Sonnen has balls of steel for taking this fight? well if anything it shows he atleast has half a brain. If Sonnens balls are made of steel then mine should be made of the same stuff Wolverines head is, because I would have taken that fight for the reward Sonnen gets & I'm a featherweight with low level amateur fighting skills. I mean how bad can the beating get, the ref saves you before you die anyway.

I know it's not comparable but the idea of him NOT taking the fight when he has absolutely nothing to lose and so much to gain well....I'm amazed that people think it's something to celebrate.

#51 ·
Come off it, Sonnen doesn't have the ability to fight at the highest level?! Who are you kidding. He put a beat down on the P4P No1 fighter for 23 and a half minutes before getting submitted. If that isnt the ability to compete at the highest level I dont know what is.

And I am by no means a Sonnen fan!

#52 ·
How the fuk does Sonnen have the biggest rivalry with Anderson Silva, move up to LHW, and immediatley have the biggest with JBJ? Lol, dudes a genius. He takes his oppertunities so well. He knows that Brazil was the soft spot for Silva, and then he used Silva's awful first fight to spur him on even more (even though he won). He at first was deperate with JBJ, but now he's right there in his head and I beat Bones is fuming.

#55 ·
Yet he earned a title shot lmao.

But yeah I agree with you. Interesting fights ahead for him, but I see him struggling with a lot of people. If he picks his fights he could well EARN a shot. He'd beat Shogun imo and I think there are some big possible wins for him with Evans or Page, but I think the main contenders beat him every time.

#70 ·
Here's a business plan option for you.

option A: Become the champ who takes all comers,who carries the company, the sport, the fans and the other fighters on your shoulders.

option B: Become the champ who is afraid to fight anyone including an out of shape, smaller challenger who is much less prepared to fight,without at least 10 weeks of specialized preparation, all while cultivating the open animosity of your employer.

Learn from Jon. Stay in school.

#71 ·
That was a poorly laid out business plan. Business-wise he will make MORE money from this. Lesnar outdraws GSP. Mayweather outdraws Manny. Why? "Bad guys" sell fights.

I don't agree with Bones's decision but I have accepted it and moved on. And unless you are part of the UFC or tied to one of the fighters, you should too.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#74 ·
Would like to see your business plan on how it was a good decision. Lesnar was a bad ass with a huge previous following. Mayweather is more of an asshole then a badass. The difference between those two guys and JJ is jones is being a bitch about it. People pay to see assholes fight but not chickenshits. Point will be proven on the jones vs belfort card
The only big PPV JJ will get in the next few years is if he fights Chael Sonnen or anderson silva

#77 ·
Nobody is saying he's intelligent. We could all say that we're more intelligent, regardless of age. But there is a difference when you're under the spotlight and millions are watching your every move. Everything you say is turned against you in the future and your every move is calculated.

Bones should have taken the fight, but I am just looking at it from all angles. And DonRifle, we will see about the PPV buys. A lot of casual fans who like seeing him fight could care less.

#85 · (Edited)
I called it hypocrisy because you just told us how shit comes from Sonnen's mouth.

Yet your favorite fighter has said things like "won't catch me drinking and driving" " I will never turn down an opponent". Both shit statements.

At least with Chael we know it is an act and 80% of it is him trying to get a laugh.

Chael may be full of WWE crap. But Jones is full of actual crap.

And I am no Sonnen fan at all.

PS: you have a weird obsession with Jones "transformation" when he enters the cage. You talk about it in every post. It is weird. Everyone has a switch when they go in the cage.

#89 ·
There are enough stars. Why did there need to be two PPV's in September to begin with? That is over-saturation on the UFC's part and now it costed them millions. You ALWAYS have to prepare for the worst. What if someone got hurt the day of the event?

I totally agree, the UFC asking Jones to do it was beyond reasonable. I can see him not taking the fight because he wouldn't gain anything by winning, and he would lose a lot by losing. Do I support the decision? Absolutely not, but it happened. It shouldn't have stripped him of the belt because he was not obligated to fight Sonnen. If it was in the contract, that's another issue. Maybe that's something the UFC should address.

Both of these short paragraphs are why I blame the UFC the most, and Jones second. If it had a good co-main event, then it could have pulled a Franklin/Wandy and been a bad PPV but still gone on. If it was in the contract, then Bones would have been forced to fight Sonnen.

#91 ·
There are enough stars. Why did there need to be two PPV's in September to begin with? That is over-saturation on the UFC's part and now it costed them millions. You ALWAYS have to prepare for the worst. What if someone got hurt the day of the event?

I totally agree, the UFC asking Jones to do it was beyond reasonable. I can see him not taking the fight because he wouldn't gain anything by winning, and he would lose a lot by losing. Do I support the decision? Absolutely not, but it happened. It shouldn't have stripped him of the belt because he was not obligated to fight Sonnen. If it was in the contract, that's another issue. Maybe that's something the UFC should address.

Both of these short paragraphs are why I blame the UFC the most, and Jones second. If it had a good co-main event, then it could have pulled a Franklin/Wandy and been a bad PPV but still gone on. If it was in the contract, then Bones would have been forced to fight Sonnen.
Cause some of us are fight fans and think the more fights the better. The headliner excited me enough to buy the ppv. The rest of the fights where just the cherry. Il take 24 cards over 12 cards any day of the week.

There are enough stars???

Okay make me a card with fighters who arnt already fighting on a card. Arnt injured. Medical Suspension. Taking time off.

Go..

#98 ·
This...

I hate most cats. They just shed their hair everywhere and scratch. Dogs on the other hand are truly mans best friend. :thumbsup:

Buttt

in Kitten form before they evolve into CateMons they are really cute. A kitten you can hold in the palm of your hand can warm even the biggest crooks heart. :sad01:

In 1st stage KittenMon form. You could never hate them. If only they could stay like that forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.