MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Chael Sonnen declares himself to be the UFC light heavyweight champion… by forfeit

View Single Post

Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #64 (permalink)
Killz
The Fun Police

Killz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among MenKillz Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaswe82 View Post
Ah cool also speaking of the MW division I mean I can't deny that the first time around Sonnen did beat some solid MWs. The second titleshot in my opinion was kind of a gift.

He beat Stann who is a stylistic dream for him, and then at best got a draw with Bisping, IMO Bisping won that fight.

So one stylistic dream and a controversial decision. I can say without shame that he talked and marketed his way to that second titleshot more or less. And for him to get a titleshot right away at LHW where I dont see him ever earning one, to me thats just bush leage BS.

Just to clarify what I meant. I can't deny that he can compete at the highest level at MW though.
Agreed on all fronts here.

Whilst I dont think Chael could legitimately 'Earn' a LHW title shot by fighting his way through the best the LHW division has to offer, I think Him stepping up to fight Jones on a weeks notice is very commendable. I also think that whilst that fight may not have been competitive, I think the vast majority of fans would be excited to see that fight.

For Jones to turn down that fight, that a lot of people wanted to see, I think is why so many people are getting so annoyed about the situation.

However... I do not agree that Sonnen should have been given a shot at 152 as that is totally different circumstances. At 151 he was stepping up to the plate in really time short circumstances, to save a card that otherwise would be scrapped. 152 is a bit further away and means they had enough time to draft in somebody more deserving of a title shot... Im not too sure Belfort is that person though

"You see a mousetrap and I see free cheese and a f**king challenge" ~ Scroobius Pip

My Super FFL Team That Most Definitely Isn't Going to Come 2nd Last This Year!
Jose Aldo • Carlos Condit • Hector Lombard • Edson Barboza • Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson