MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Chael Sonnen declares himself to be the UFC light heavyweight champion… by forfeit

View Single Post

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #69 (permalink)
The Best Around
Featherweight

The Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnotut View Post
I agree with your first comment that Sonnen converted JJ fans to his side, but I definitely wouldn't say it takes "balls to challenge" Jones in 8 days. Quite frankly, I say that Sonnen (or any other fighter who wanted to fight JJ) is also acting like a "business man." If he wins, he wins. If he loses, then he really didn't lose. Why? Because his loss will be explained away by the fact that he only had 8 days to prepare. That sounds like a very rational, business decision to me.
Exactly, a lot of people don't get this.

If Sonnen wins: Then he wins the LHW title, obviously.

If Sonnen loses: Gets a lot of fans in the process. Dana loves him even more. He literally does not lose a single thing in the standings. Makes six figures EASILY, if not seven. Looks overall awesome.

I would call it more "balls of wisdom" than "balls of steel".