Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

NEWS: BJ Penn Says Rory MacDonald Knew He Was Going To Lose

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Woodenhead 
#1 ·
Former UFC Champ BJ Penn isn't pleased with Rory MacDonald pulling out of their UFC 151 bout due to a cut with 10 weeks to go before fight night.

Penn talked to Sherdog.com about MacDonald's decision earlier this week:

"I know the reason why Rory [MacDonald] pulled out on September 22nd. The cut is a detail but I know the reason why he pulled out is because he knew he wasn't gonna win. If he let that cut heal, tried to train, whatever it was, whether he should have been in shape already... I've never heard of a guy pulling out of a fight 10 weeks early from a cut. Never in my life have I heard of a guy, 10 weeks before a fight, he got cut, he pulled out. You know what I mean? He feels he has to to what's best for him, for his team, they're gonna do that, but it's 100 percent fact that the reason why they pulled out is because they knew they were gonna lose on September 22nd. If not, you wouldn't pull out, you would go.

Like I said, I had a cut on my eye, 13 stitches inside and out five weeks before the Diaz fight. Didn't care. Opened up from eight weeks every week all the way up to the fifth week before the Diaz fight but did I ever think about pulling out? Not even once. "
Source mmanews.com

#5 ·
Really? It's hard to disagree with him pulling out of a fight because he had 40 stitches? 40 stitches isn't 'just a cut', it would take weeks to heal. I'm pretty sure the only person who thought BJ was going to win this fight was BJ, and possibly his mom, although I'm not even sure about her.

I can understand why all BJ does now is run his mouth though, it's pretty much all he is good for these days anyway. He has won a total of ONE fight in his last five, so actually, you know what, BJ is right. We should definitely defer to BJ's opinion on losing, he knows far more about it than Rory.

#7 ·
He's right. It's a BS excuse totally. Bisping got his cut and hasn't pulled out of the Stann fight. Tons of fighters get cuts during training weeks out and don't pull out.

It's shady as hell.

When i read 'BJ News' I was hoping to see 'BJ OFFERED TO FIGHT JONES, JONES TURNED IT DOWN' :D

Reactions: GrappleRetarded
#14 · (Edited)
I agree with him.

Like Jones, Rory is a young kid who is afraid to lose. It is more about business than fighting.

It was a big cut I will give him that. But I bet tons of fighters...even high profile fighters have trained all camp while a cut heals. And still made the fight.

He isn't ducking Penn. But my God, fighters are becoming so cautious. Soon guys will pull out over mat burns or a bad haircut. This sport is slowly turning into something else.

#15 ·
I don't understand how anyone can agree with BJ based on the fact that they have already re-scheduled the fight.
If they hadn't rescheduled then I might actually side with BJ but this is just typical BJ BS and his supporters somehow side with him without thinking about how ridiculous that sounds. I think this is just BJ keeping himself motivated by increasing his "hate" for his opponent. I don't have an issue with him doing that but he could probably keep it to himself instead of trying to make an issue out of a non-issue.

#16 ·
god Penn is a moron. Rory got cut, wanted to get a proper camp in and get his cut healed up before going into a big fight...fair play to him. I guess Penn wouldn't understand as when he's at WW he just gets lazy with his training. He probably forgot what a proper training camp involves and the effort it takes.

what a knob!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.