MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The official Rusty CJ5 build thread

View Single Post

Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rusty
Gone Hunting

Rusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings System
Well the dirt track speedshop couldn't get big enough tubing to make my arms The biggest they could find was 1.75 inch and it was 17 bucks a foot so I told them not to worry about it. There's a place called Rusty's offroad that makes arms for $189 a pair with bigger tubing and better joints on the ends. They take about a week to make them once you give them the measurements so I'm gonna go that route. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the trip next weekend.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise because I've learned alot more about how to build a well performing four link in the mean time. It's alot more complicated than I thought.

I'm still going to try and finish the jeep as soon as possible though so after spending yesterday helping my friend sort out his steering and brakes it was back to the jeep today.

Here's the spring seats for the rear coils.

They were cut off a solid round block of steel and turned down on the lathe to size. The small one goes on the top of the axle and the big one goes over the bottom coil and a bolt threads through into the bottom one.

You can't see the small seat in this pic but it's under there.

Here we are leveling the seat on the axle before welding.

And here's a shot looking down through the coil. I really like this pic for some reason.

This is the upper spring seat bucket. It will be welded to the lowest part of the frame rail on the inside with a bolt running up through it. We'll probably use a similar mount type as we used on the lowers.

And here's the pieces that will be used as the axle truss. The upper control will mount on top of this once it's welded onto the axle.

I know it doesn't look like much progress but there was a ton of measuring, leveling, torching, grinding, and welding for this to happen. Tomorrow I hope to have the truss done and the control arm mount locations figured out and then it's on to ordering the arms Thanks for reading.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote