Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Nooooooooo... Mir out of Cormier fight

6K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Should be used to this more than seeing the fights by now I guess:

Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) will not fight Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF), as it turns out.

An undisclosed injury has forced the ex-UFC champ to withdraw from "Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir," which takes place Nov. 3 at Chesapeake Energy Center in Oklahoma City, Okla., and airs live on Showtime and Showtime Extreme.

MMAjunkie.com (mmajunkie.com) confirmed the news on Tuesday night with a source close to the promotion following an initial report from news show Sports Rage. It's unknown whether a replacement for Mir has been found.

Sources indicated to MMAjunkie.com that a knee injury is to blame for Mir's withdrawal.

Mir was set to be the first active UFC fighter to cross over to Strikeforce. His matchup with Cormier materialized after fellow ex-UFC champ Tim Sylvia was nixed for a potential headliner with the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix champion.

In his most recent appearance, Mir replaced Alistair Overeem to fight UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146 and lost via second-round TKO. It was his second failed bid to regain the undisputed belt after a motorcycle accident forced him to relinquish the title he won at UFC 48.

The broken leg he sustained kept him out of action for nearly two years.

The undefeated Cormier most recently outpointed Josh Barnett to win the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix after entering the eight-man tournament in the semifinals as an alternate.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/30688/fra...-heavyweight-fight-against-daniel-cormier.mma

#38 ·
Heres something I just though, correct me if I'm wrong (don't know if it relates to Mir).

TRT helps older fighters recover quicker from training and helps them keep in good shape.
Older fighters are more prone to serious injuries.

Does TRT actually help them PREVENT injury, or just help with recovery time? Because if so then the older fighters getting injuries might just be a sign that they are too old to compete, and the only reason they can train and fight is the TRT. This could be pretty much the first and so far only downside to TRT...

#52 ·
Nonsense. Now you're talking about two entirely different things. The body slowing down doesn't equate to a fighter reaching his maximum potential. Your initial statement was that a fighter peaks at 29, and we've seen plenty of fighters disprove this notion. Bisping is only just hitting his stride. Evans stepped up his game exponentially in his 30s. Anderson Silva became a dominant force at 31-32. Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, heck, even Chael Sonnen has been fighting at his best in his 30s. There are plenty of fighters who become the best they've ever been after 30. Of course the body slows down eventually, but your 'prime' can also include the addition of a new skill-set, diet, or training regime.

It's not a hard and steadfast rule as it doesn't apply to everyone. You can call it a stat and namedrop Joe Rogan all you like, but empirical evidence exists that fighters and athletes in their 30s are just as good as they were in their 20s, if not better. And no one is throwing hatred your way. They're simply disagreeing. Stop being so sensitive.

#54 ·
This is 100% opinion and not fact. I have played all 3 of these sports for years and Ice Hockey was by far the harder of the 3 and I could skate very well before I started playing. But to others they might find a different one to require more athletic ability.

Sent from my iPad using VerticalSports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.