Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Is the 2012 injury meltdown permanent or just a phase?

• Its just bad luck. this cant go on forever

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • "Expect more cancellations" is the new "business as usual"

Votes: 15 78.9%

Is the 2012 injury meltdown permanent or just a phase?

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Budhisten 
#1 ·
Does anyone here imagine, this could become "just how the game is", in the same way that boxing is basically a guaranteed frustration for different reasons. will we just accept that over half the great fights arent going to happen?

we all seem to assume its just bad luck.

people mention the insurance, and thats one explanation, but surely the bigger question is...how long can it continue for?

See less See more
#4 ·
To me it's the same as it was 4-6 years ago, the only differences now is with the increase frequency of events it just highlighted more. Look at the stats of events:
2012-31 events this year
2011-27
2010-24
2009-20
2008-20

Realistically they could spread out fights more and we would not notice the hits. For example after UFC 148 they were 4 events prior to tmr's fight. Then you have another 2 events and a PPV in less than a month's spam from Jones vs Vitor. To me the main problem leading into the future is they don't have enough star power to make every PPV marketable.

#21 ·
I know he's gone, but how in the hell would the insurance explain fighters getting injured?

On one hand you get in the ring and have your match, you get paid by Zuffa, your sponsors and you become a bigger name.

On the other hand you pull out with an injury, you do not get paid by Zuffa, you do not get paid by your sponsors and meanwhile you become less relevant in your division. But you get your doctor's bill paid - bet the gym you had your camp at will be happy about that :p

BTW this was a troll's troll... Full throttle and nothing less - easy work for us ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.