MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Michael Bisping the only choice for Anderson Silva?

View Single Post

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
gazh
Milky Joe

gazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By Allgazh Is Beloved By All
Michael Bisping the only choice for Anderson Silva?

Who do you think will be the next challenger for Anderson Silva's title and when do you think it will take place?

Bearing in mind Anderson fights Stephan Bonnar in three weeks and taking into account current PPVs and scheduling it looks very unlikely he would be able to fight again this year unless he took something on short notice.

So logically the earliest he could defend his belt (other than fighting on short notice again) would be in January 2013 (potentially UFC 156). An obvious roadblock for his next title defence is the prospect of a 'Superfight' with Georges St Pierre who has a fight booked for mid-November making a January date less likely in my opinion due to the precise and cautious nature of the current Welterweight champion. Alongside that GSP was as recently as two weeks ago keen to remind a reporter that he still has many challengers waiting to compete for his Welterweigh title - after being asked about the potential superfight.

So then, if the 'Superfight' doesn't go ahead, i think January would be the earliest logical date for Andersons next title defense, let's look at some potential opponents:

Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC)
Called out Anderson after his Munoz win and has since been booked to fight Mark Boetsch on December 29th. Due to having a fight booked this could potentially put Anderson out of action for an extra 2-4 months if he gets the next shot. Ed Soares has described this fight as uninteresting.

Tim Boetsch (16-4 MMA, 7-3 UFC)
Currently undefeated at Middleweight and riding a 4-fight streak which include 3 decisions and 1 TKO. As above is booked to fight so would potentially cause a further log jam in the division.

Alan Belcher (18-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC)
Belcher has looked very impressive since returning from an eye injury, booked to fight Okami on the same card as Weidman-Boetsch.

Michael Bisping (23-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC)
Nothing booked, is arguably the biggest paperview draw from the selection above.

Outside of that you have the likes of Costas Philippou (decent streak but unknown) or Jake Shields (too early).

I really feel the stars are aligned for Bisping to finally get his title shot here, Anderson Silva will only defend his title ONCE in 2012 and has only been able to defend it twice each year since he won it in 2007.

IF THE SUPER FIGHT DOESNT GO AHEAD, WHO FIGHTS ANDERSON NEXT?

Last edited by gazh : 09-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.
gazh is offline   Reply With Quote