Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

If/when Cain loses, where does he go?

4K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  GrappleRetarded 
#1 ·
We know how Machida pretty much said he'd be screwed if he lost to Bones again, Sonnen lost to Silva twice and moved down, etc. If Cain loses, he's far out of title contention (and 100% out of it while JDS is champion). If Cain loses, what does he do/where does he go? Would he try to rack up wins for another eventual title shot, or possibly cut a lot of weight and go down a class?

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#4 ·
Reminds me of the picture of Cain and Bader.

He has solid muscle under a layer of flab. If he gets rid of it and drops to around 225~230 pounds, he should be able to cut weight to 205.

#5 ·
STAY AT HEAVYWEIGHT.

If he loses, nothing changes. Cain is a complete beast, and all he has to do is smash through a few people once again. This time, because of the unexpected circumstances of the first fight, he got the shot quite quickly. Next time, he'd need like 5 wins, and starting at the bottom I'm sure Cain can rip through everyone until once again he becomes the champ.

#10 ·
No idea how much the cut would hurt his performance, Cain has great cardio for a Heavyweight, he's a physical specimen for that weight but Junior simply has his number.

He will get stopped by Junior again, and his only hope is Overeem blasting Junior, which I don't think will happen.

#13 ·
I think it's a bit of an unfair statement. JDS has only been tested on the ground once, where he got outmatched by an amatuer fighter early in his career, and if anyone can put him there it's Cain. So many questions went unanswered in the last fight so I think he has a great chance.

Regardless, JDS might lose to someone else. He's definently not as complete as Jon Jones or Anderson Silva. He had top level boxing, good TDD and aparently good BJJ, but I don't see him being a sub from his back kind of guy so if he gets taken down and kept there, by anyone, I see him losing his belt. Overeem would be my favourite in their fight too. Cain still has a lot left at HW and I see him being a champ once again.

#18 ·
This.

One thing is not to be complete. Another thing is to use the skills you feel more confortable with. Others just argued Jones is not complete in his sub defenses or Anderson is not complete for his wrestling, although they are very effective. JDS just prefer to stand and bang and uses his arsenal of skills just to avoid other areas. I don't see ppl controlling him on the ground to the point he'll get submitted, but who knows?
Dont get me wrong, JDS has a lot of assets. But at the same time you have to see that he isn't "uunbeatable". Anyone who gets close and exchanges shots with you is at risk of being KOed, especially at HW. He wont be champ forever you know.

#20 ·
Is that difficult? Lol

It's equally unfair to claim that JDS isn't as well rounded as Silva or Jon Jones purely because we've not seen him put on his back. We simply don't know what type of animal JDS is on the ground, and if no one can take him there, he shouldn't have to apologize or be penalized for that. Besides, when have we seen Jon Jones put on his back? There are as many lingering questions with his ground game as there are with Junior's. For my money, Junior is the best fighter in the world, hands down. Here's a man who has not lost a single round whilst fighting in the UFC. Not once has he been put in jeopardy. And he's made every last one of his opponents look amateur, including a man many dubbed the next Fedor. I'd say that's more than either Anderson or Jon can say for themselves. JDS - the true P4P kingpin.

Would he really want to stay in a division where he's lost to the champion twice and has minimal prospects of taking the belt? I suppose he could gamble on Junior's some day losing the title, but that's hardly an ideal position to be in.
Well you can see Anderson being beaten if there were more Velasquez type figures at MW. His weakness is being taken down and kept there aparently. I just think that JDS doesnt have everything sown up quite as perfectly as say Jones does. Since hes a boxer it's easy to see him taking an L eventually.

Why does Cain have "minimal prospects of taking the belt"? Cain is a beast and is top 3 of the division with ease. If he loses the second time to JDS, he's easily getting a third shot. Dropping down means you cant compete at your weight class, and if your admitting that you cant compete then why are you even trying?

#21 ·
I think Cain has more of a chance against JDS than most think, but if he loses again, he will be stuck where a lot of fighters are. He will still beat most HW's but being 0-2 against the champ makes it hard to make a case for a third shot no matter how big of a run he went on.

He could drop to LHW and see how he does there. He would instantly become a contender and if he looks anything like he did at HW he will be a force to be reckoned with.

He could stay at HW and hope Junior loses the belt and have another crack at it.

Also have to take into account where Cormier lands in all of this as well as they have made it clear that they will not fight each other.

Sent from my iPad using VerticalSports

#30 ·
short answer? He becomes a gate keeper, much like Frank Mir. Personally, I don't see him making the cut to 205 and being successful, especially with Jones holding the belt. He's either a definite gate keeper at 265, or risks cutting to a division he's never fought in, without knowing how his body/physique will respond.

Not everyone can be champion -- you know that, right?

#31 · (Edited)
I don't see what the OP means, where does he go?

He goes no where. He stays in the UFC and as a HW.

So what if he loses to JDS again? It is teh HW divison, are people expecting JDS to have an Anderson type run?

What if he goes down to 205 get 1 fight then a title shot and loses? WHere does he go from there? 185? Or should he just quit?

No sure why people think if you aren't fighting for the title then you shouldn't compete? If he loses to JDS he just stays at HW taking huge main event fights and waits for JDS to lose.

Only thing is where Cormier factors in. He is Cain's wrestling coach, so they won't fight. If he wins the HW title, I'm sure Cain would maybe then try to drop. But if Cormier loses or Cain beats JDS it will be Cormier who drops to 205 not Cain.

#40 ·
Win or lose, he'd still be a dangerous contender at Heavyweight. The only guy other than JDS I could see beating him is Overeem. Or if nothing else, I could see Dana working his magic and getting him to drop to 205 for a possible shot against Jon Jones. I don't see why people are matching him up against Cormier when not only to they train together, but Cormier is his wrestling coach. That fight is less likely to happen than Koscheck/Fitch. As a matter of fact, I see one of them fighting at 205 depending on who's more successful at heavyweight.

#42 ·
Yeah I don't get why people are all like "no don't drop to LHW we need you at HW".

1. We need top LHW fighters, it's second only to the Fly Weight division right now in depth.

2. Winning a belt in two different weight classes is one of the ultimate reward's in MMA next to winning a tournament.

Cain can clean out the Legends at 205 build his reputation and legacy and retire a p4p great or he can be Jon Fitch have job security till he gets KTFO by some random guy.

#48 ·
Cain will be able to work his way back to a shot as long as he has a competitive fight this time. Truth is the HW division is shallow with fighters who could be viewed as legit threats to JDS right now. Come on besides Werdum,The Reem and Cain is there a single fighter you see as a threat? Anyone thinking Struve won't get smashed? Anyone lining up to see Travis "Tim Sylvia 2.0" Browne get a title shot? Didn't think so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.