Early reports: UFC 152 did 450.000 buys
The early numbers are in for UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort which featured Jon Jones' return to action after the cancellation of UFC 151 and they're not terrible but not spectacular either. Dave Meltzer is reporting at the Wrestling Observer (subscription required) that the show sold slightly more than half the buys Jones got in his last outing against Rashad Evans at UFC 145 (700,000):
Preliminary numbers from UFC 152 are 450,000 to 460,000 buys. Keep in mind these are still early numbers and can vary greatly. It's at the low end of expectations. I think the key here is that the six weeks between shows really didn't make a difference. It's considerably down from Jon Jones' last fight. Obviously Vitor Belfort wasn't going to draw as his opponent like Rashad Evans because you had no grudge match and betrayal storyline. But this looks to be less than Lyoto Machida. I really don't think all the publicity was going to keep people from buying, but one thing is pretty much for sure. All that publicity didn't either make him a bigger marquee star, nor did it create a situation where he sold more because people would buy to see him beat up. The only people buying to see him beat up were the same people buying to start with.
We'll have more commentary on what these numbers mean tomorrow but for comparison here are some recent UFC PPV numbers:
- UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar 2 - 190,000
- UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao - 235,000
- UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen 2 - 1,000,000
- UFC 147: Franklin vs. Silva 2 - 140,000
- UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir - 560,000
- UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans - 700,000
- UFC 144: Henderson vs. Edgar 1 - 375,000
- UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit - 400,000
- UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes - 235,000
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem - 750,000
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - 485,000
MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!