Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Amateur MMA Debut Knockout

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  FBrown 
#1 ·

Comments and Opinions are welcome.

#3 ·
Thanks for the comment; I should have mentioned that I'm the fighter in black. Hearing opinions on my opponents are just as beneficial though. This was my first return to any sort of competition since being in American Taekwondo; this was definitely a huge return for me.

#11 ·
One thing I noticed about your takedown defense... when you are defending shots you tend to step straight back and your stance narrows. You were also being caught pretty easily with ankle pics and single legs. What I would suggest is a simple technique GSP uses that works particularly well for people who come from kick heavy martial arts backgrounds.

One - is that just like striking you never move straight forward or straight back. Always move in angles. It's harder for them to get a bead on you and it's much harder to complete the takedown if they have to shift direction.

Two - when you step away switch stance. This changes the angle and availability for the single leg attempt. A lot of wrestlers will turn a double into a single leg if you leave it out there and this would address the straight dives for single legs and picks.

Basically it's a simple two step motion that makes it much harder for them to get the takedown that leaves you with a strong base and chambered to deliver strikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.