MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Charlie Brennenman released by UFC

View Single Post

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
Stapler
Super Heavyweight

Stapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By All
Poor Brenneman. Not a bad fighter, but he seemed under sized and had a suspect chin. Or at least poor recovery rate.

I understand where you are coming from, GR. My whole problem is just grapple boxers in general. They screw themselves over. They get to the big show with those BJJ/wrestling abilities, and then when they learn a little bit of striking technique, they forget about what got them here. Koscheck is such a great MMA wrestler in my opinion, but he loves to fall back on his boxing and throw those big overhand rights and whatnot looking for a knock out of the night bonus. It drives me crazy because his double leg is sick. It's not bad to use that boxing of his from time to time, but he needs to remember that wrestling is his absolute strongest tool sometimes. He could potentially have less losses on his record if he did.

Maia is another example. He shouldn't have lost to Marquardt in my opinion, he's not a kick boxer. Throwing low kicks against a guy like Marquardt who hits hard and clearly had the better stand up was a bad idea. Maia also easily controlled Grove when they fought for the first two rounds, then he openly admitted after the fight that he wanted to test his stand up in the third. Grove wasn't exactly the best fighter in the world (considering he's not even in the UFC anymore), but he occasionally showed signs of brilliance. Maia still won, but that's not the point. If he's easily controlling Grove on the ground, why rock the boat? I believe Maia lost the third round on 2 of 3 judge's score cards. Needless to say, that was a gamble on his part. I'm just glad it didn't cost him an easy win.

Now that he's at 170, he may have the best BJJ in the division. I'm hoping he remembers that because now, he's not even at a size disadvantage like he was against some guys in the middleweight division.

End rant, I just wanted to say that ISS (improved striking syndrome) exists in MMA, haha.

Brenneman needs to work on his striking defense, and only strike to set up his take downs.

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia

Last edited by Stapler : 10-04-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote