Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Shin Splints?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RangerClydeTheBlue 
#1 ·
After I felt some pain at the side of my shins after karate, I was told I probably had shin splints. I was also told that it was probably caused by bouncing on my toes. Looking it up, it can develop into something serious, so is there any cure for it early? I have a bandage which I'm switching between them which seems to get rid of it for the time being, but it can come back. When I'm drinking, it's a killer because the blood flow goes into your legs and it becomes MUCH more painful.

Any more I should know to stop this from becoming a serious thing?

#2 ·
Yeah exact same as what I'm doing. I do karate and another martial art, 4 times a week in total, but I've given them all a miss this week to leg them rest. Only time I'm really feeling anything is when going down the stairs do hopefully I can get back to bouncing on my feet in karate without any issues. I read it's from overtraining so I guess I'll just have to relax a bit more and take training a bit slower.

#6 ·
I dunno, I was always told it was just something you had to suck up and get used to. I used to have a little trouble with shin splints but mainly when running until I started stretching more thoroughly. I used to half ass my stretching but once I started putting in about 10-15 minutes of good, quality stretching...they went away. Don't know the name of the stretch but you put your fut against a wall (the toe area) and bring your knee towards the ground. Should feel alot of pressure on the calf and it works wonders!

#9 ·
ClydebankBlitz said:
Alright I'll work on the stretching angle. I've got a few things I was told to do so I'll give it a go. Karate again tonight. I'm going to stay flat footed so it doesnt get worse again though.
Ironically, this night I ripped my knee trying to protect my shins. In fighting flat footed, I went for a head kick and couldnt move my standing leg as quick to pivot, and fuked shit up. Only just got back a week ago after like 2 to 3 months off. Shin splints are gone though :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.