MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Gi? No-Gi? BJJ beginner. Thanks.

View Single Post

Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
HitOrGetHit
WEC For Life

HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmatt View Post
It's the kind of thing that you can't understand until you tried it. Believe me, it is way more technical than you could ever imagine. Ask any real BJJ practitioner and he will agree with that.
I have tried both for some time. They both require the same amount of technique to be efficient at. And ask a real bjj guy is pretty laughable when the person teaching my classes at Gracie is a world champion.

Quote:
Flipping your opponents without using strength, spider guard sweep or submissions... etc. All those techniques that will help weaker guys develop their game and take on bigger and stronger guys.
So this can't happen in nogi? I learn just as much technique in nogi as I did in gi.

Quote:
For instance, I fought again a small, 135 lbs, in both gi and no-gi about a week ago. While I could actually keep up a little with him in no-gi, he absolutely destroyed me in multiples ways when we grappled with gi. My strength advantage (I'm 6ft4 and 195 lbs) was useless when it came down to fighting with gi on.
The same thing can happen the other way. Some people are just better with a gi on and others without.

Quote:
Anderson Silva, GSP, Jose Aldo, BJ Penn, etc... Are all BJJ black belts ( and we all know that belt system doesn't apply unless you train with a gi).
There are plenty of bjj practioners that train primarily in a nogi setting. I have literally not one bad thing to say about gi or nogi, but to sit there and say one is way better than the other is pretty ignorant.

The 2014 Hit Squad (FFL)
Eddie Alvarez - Junior Dos Santos - Patricio Freire - Jessica Eye - Pat Curran

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote