MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - UFC hoping to eliminate injuries with implementation of “dangerous activities” clause

View Single Post

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rauno
HiiiPoWeR

Rauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among Men
UFC hoping to eliminate injuries with implementation of “dangerous activities” clause

Quote:
After a series of high-profile fights falling apart due to injury it looks like the UFC is ready to do what little it can to ensure the safety of competitors outside of the Octagon during the build up to a bout. While Zuffa certainly can’t police the way its employees train, the company can prohibit certain behavior outside of the gym if it creates an unnecessary risk to said individual’s well-being.
According to MMAWeekly, the UFC is now attaching a “dangerous activities” clause to bout agreements making fighters liable if injured while participating in extreme sports or other athletic exhibitions, as well as while riding motorcycles and other similar vehicles.
The latter situation came into play a few weeks back when featherweight champion Jose Aldo suffered damage to his foot in a motorcycle accident and had to pull out of a headlining title-defense at UFC 153. The change in policy will also affect a number of other fighters who enjoy riding bikes (such as Frank Mir and Hector Lombard) as well as those who enjoy wakeboarding/snowboarding.
Lightweight Donald Cerrone, an avid outdoorsman with a huge collection of motorcycles/ATVs, recently commented on the situation in an interview with AlienWare where his disdain of the UFC’s decision was evident.
“They say you can’t snowboard, wakeboard, bungee jump…all kinds of ridiculous things,” said Cerrone. “Horseback ride, yeah…which I own horses and I will not NOT ride them.”
“I don’t know, I guess I’ll have to sit down with Dana (White) and figure this out. But that’s who I am. I’m wild and crazy, and I need to have these things to keep me…I can’t get painted into a corner is basically what I’m trying to say,” the disappointed Cerrone concluded.
Fortunately for Cerrone, based on the structure of the clause, the UFC only plans to prevent “dangerous activities” when a fighter is officially signed to a match-up rather than serving as a year-round limitation on freedom.
Fiveouncesofpain

This makes sense, as soon as you get signed for a fight, you'll take a few month hiatus from all the dangerous stuff.