MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Glover Teixeira: The UFC will trump soccer as the biggest sport in Brazil

View Single Post

Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding

LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Yeah I think when you take into account that you have to "be a fighter" to even enjoy MMA, compaired to literally every kid in Europe playing football as a youngster (and Brazil has much more passion for football than we would), it will just never take over.

The only real sports MMA can be compaired to would be like kickboxing, boxing, judo, karate and other martial arts. A lot of people like to combine it with WWE, but the only reason that they are together is because WWE is genius with their marketing and are completley capitalizing on the MMA boom just like they did with boxing in the 90s. Pro wrestling will appeal to children always, while MMA is an almost exclusivley adult show.

I'm just waiting for the day that UFC takes over boxing in PPVs. Once we lose the likes of the Klitschkos, Mayweather and Pacquaio, there is a chance that guys like Jon Jones will bring MMA into a new era. We just need more modern day legends because it wont be long before we see the back of Anderson, GSP, Vitor and all the other big name legends.
UFC won't over take Boxing, personally I don't see the whole reason why anyone would want to see the UFC or anything take over Boxing. Boxing is very fun to watch, it's the politics that have ruined Boxing but there is still big, big money in Boxing, much more than in MMA.

You're also forgetting about guys like Canelo Alvarez, that guy's the future of Boxing, the lighter weights are also accepted by the Boxing world, you'll never see a 145 lb or 135 lb fighter be the biggest draw in MMA. Boxing still has the Mexican audience in the palm of it's hand, something MMA doesn't quite have. The lighter weight classes could help that though, Erik Perez is a guy that I think can reach the Mexican audience and lure them in.

Also, WWE sucks man, I hadn't watched it in years but I tuned in back in April to check out Brock, that was some of the worst stuff I've ever watched, the WWE has gone down hill so much in the last ten years it's not even funny. It used to be awesome, now it's just completely lame. They have to bring back guys like The Rock and Brock Lesnar just to sell PPV's.
LL is offline   Reply With Quote