Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Allegations say Stephens beat a man to critical condition

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  deadmanshand 
#1 ·
We like to abide by the code of “innocent until proven guilty.”

The media and legal system can relay facts in a sometimes bias way that will lead you to think and feel how they want.

Before reading this report from the Des Moines register it is important to remember that this is just one side of the story.

Check it out:

The victim had reportedly been asked to leave the bar and was still in the parking lot when Stephens and Bachman emerged soon after.

According to the victim’s wife, Stephens punched the victim in the left eye. The victim leaned against the building and Bachman punched him on the head and face several times, police said.

The victim’s wife helped him get into their car and was trying to lock the doors when Bachman reportedly pulled the victim out of the vehicle by his feet. Stephens and Bachman then allegedly punched and kicked the victim on his head and body for about a minute, authorities said.

The suspects fled. The victim was unconscious and stopped breathing twice, police reports show. He was intubated and taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Source: BJPenn.com

#3 ·
I find it hard to believe that proffessional fighters friend went out to the parking lot and helped him beat up some drunk. Sounds a little off to me. I think its more likely that two guys beat him up and some how that turned into "that UFC guy" and his friend beat me up.

#6 ·
Well if this is true then there's obviously bigger things at hand here, IE a man nearly being beaten to death literally but if this all comes to be true then can you imagine the backlash Dana will receive for trying to get him out of jail....to fight?

One thing, about this whole situation that has me puzzled, is this whole thing took place back in October of 2011, Stephens fought Donald Cerrone back in May on a televised event. I'm wondering, how no one ever caught wind Stephens was getting ready to fight someone like Cerrone and this wasn't brought up then, but when he gets set to fight on the prelims of an FX card this all comes to light now, nearly a year after it happened, it isn't like he went into hiding for a year or anything.

#9 ·
The thing when you flee the state, is no one involved in law enforcement or the court is going to give a shit about your side of the story.

That's why you don't flee the state.

Stephens is f***ed and if even half of this shit is true, throw away the key imo.

Fighting someone is one thing, going two on one with your friend is basically the definition of cowardice and I have no sympathy for people who behave like that.

I always liked Jeremy Stephens as a fighter, but that's neither here nor there.

#11 · (Edited)
Statement from http://lilheathenmma.com

For Immediate Release, 10/08/12:

In response to the recent arrest and allegations regarding Jeremy Stephens we would like to take this opportunity to reach out to his supporters and clarify some of the information that has been circulating in the media.

In 2011, Jeremy was attending a homecoming party in Des Moines, Iowa. A person in attendance became intoxicated and disorderly, and was asked to leave by the owner of the establishment. The intoxicated individual subsequently became involved in a physical altercation with another person at the event. We have learned that, as the featured guest at the party, Jeremy’s name came up during the police investigation of the assault.

Prior to being detained the morning of October 5, 2012, in Minneapolis, Jeremy had never been arrested in connection with the assault, contacted about any possible charge and or notified about any outstanding warrant by mail or any other means. Jeremy has lived at the same residence in San Diego and has maintained the same phone number for the past year or more. Jeremy also uses social media to provide updates on his training, and to thank fans, supporters, sponsors, and the UFC. In short, Jeremy is not a hard guy to find, which can be seen at www.LilHeathenMMA.com.

At this time, we do not know why Polk County (Iowa) authorities waited to have a warrant served on Jeremy until the morning of his fight. He arrived in Minnesota four days earlier, stayed at the hotel with other fighters for the event, and attended the public weigh-in on Thursday afternoon. Because he was arrested so close to the time of the fight, arrangements for his release could not be made in time for him to compete despite the diligent efforts of the UFC. Minnesota state officials were great to deal with, but Polk County kept changing the deal making it impossible to get Jeremy released.

It will take some time for this unfortunate situation to be resolved. We ask that everyone be patient and wait for the truth to come out. We also would like to thank Jeremy’s fans who are standing by him during this tough time and especially Dana White and the staff at UFC for their incredible display of support for Jeremy throughout the ordeal.

There is nothing to hide, so we will keep everyone updated as things progress. To be clear, JEREMY WAS NOT INVOLVED IN THIS ASSAULT AT ALL!

For any questions or concerns, you can contact management at the following;

www.EvoAgents.com

www.fb.com/EvoAgents

#14 ·
I reserve judgement until they can prove it was him or not. I have my doubts based solely on the amount of time it took for them to charge him let alone anything else. If they really thought it was him he would have been booked that night or the night after, then released on bail while they built their case. Instead he has been free and clear until just a few days ago. I'll give it time to develop.

#16 ·
Yes, the wife of the supposed victim is definitely telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth.:confused03: Dumb b****!

Hell, the first time I heard about all this, she was the one that started everything. So..., where's the part about her causing her husband, brother, both, whatever, being beaten half to death?

#18 · (Edited)
Anytime you have alcohol, women, fighters, arguing, etc things are bound to get out of hand.

None of us were there, so for anyone to call anyone a bitch, or claim innocence or guilt is just throwing more shit on the wall.

I'm sure it was reminiscent of an episode of Jersey Shore, and they're probably all guilty in some ways, regardless of who was throwing the punches.

#23 ·
American Police arrest whoever they want. I don't know if Jeremy assaulted anybody. The first reports I read said that he defended the woman who is now accusing him of all this crap. Then, I read that he had to play bouncer cuz this guy was drunk and causing trouble. 2 different sources say he's innocent of assaulting anybody. This meth head crack whore chick is the only source that is claiming he assaulted someone. I honestly think that eventually, all of this will just go away. Through my experience with the tainted legal system, this assault charge will likely be lowered to Battery at some point, which the DA hopes he can get Stephens to plead to something like Disorderly Conduct. If Stephens sticks to his guns, and the evidence suggests that his side of the story is what happened, then he'll get off without anything. The American Judicial System uses time against whoever they are after. They will make him sit in jail for however long they think they need to get Stephens to plead to something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.