Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Fights to make after UFC 153

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Toxic 
#1 ·
Anderson Silva

GSP

A good opportunity for either fighters to cement their place as P4P king. Would do great for their legacy. Anderson wants this fight, so lets hope GSP takes it. I see Anderson demolishing GSP though.

Other options: Weidman, Shogun, Jon Jones.

Anderson did say he might vacate his middleweight title though. Don't think he is intent on fighting Weidman. Nomore light heavyweight bouts for Anderson as well...not sure what he wants.

Stephan Bonnar

Retirement.

Big Nog

Stefan Struve

Stefan Struve is nearing top 5 with his win over Stipe. I think Big Nog demolishes Struve. Would make a good win for Big Nog to end his career with.

or

Bigfoot Silva

It would make for a fun fight.

Dave Herman

I'd say cut him. Otherwise,

Lavar Johnson or Shane Del Rosario

Glover Teixeira

Rampage

Glover wants that fight, give him it. Rampage might be out of his prime, but he still presents a difficult challenge for anyone in the division. He has good takedown defense, good striking, and a granite chin. If Glover gets past Rampage, it propels him into the top 5 of the division.

or

Phil Davis

Two prospects who impressed tonight. Would make for a good fight.

Fabio Maldonado

Jimi Manuwa

Fabio has pretty good hands, so lets see how he fares against another striker in Jimi Manuwa. Would be a hell of a fight.

or

Ryan Jimmo

Jon Fitch

Winner of Rory Macdonald/BJ Penn

Fitch looked very impressive. If Rory wins, he is ready for a top 5 opponent in Fitch. If BJ wins, we get to see the rematch of the draw they had in the previous bout.

Erick Silva

Thiago Alves

I think this would be an awesome matchup. Alves has good striking that would be an excellent test for Silva. His grappling isn't as good as Fitch so I don't think he would contemplate taking Silva down.

or

Che Mills

Two prospects going at it, lets see who is the better one. Che Mills looked pretty impressive against Ludwig.

Phil Davis

Vinny Magalhaes

I don't think Davis would be keen on taking Vinny down...or I might be wrong. Lets see how he does against an elite BJJ fighter, since he is so dependent on his wrestling.

or

Glover Teixeira

As I said above...

or

Winner of Sonnen/Griffin

I think Sonnen wins against Griffin, and its highly unlikely he has to fight another time before his title shot. However this would make for an amazing fight. Lets see whose wrestling is a notch better.

Wagner Prado

Ryan Bader

Both guys coming off losses. I think if Prado loses again he should be cut. He didn't look good in the standup and on the ground against Davis.

Demian Maia

Gunnar Nelson

This would be a step down in competition for Maia but dam if he submits Nelson it would be a huge statement. Nelson also has decent takedown defense so lets see how Maia fares.

or

Mike Pierce

A good test for Maia. If Maia is going to want to challenge for the welterweight title, he gotta get past some wrestlers. Pierce is an excellent one at that.

Rick Story

Jay Hieron

Frankly I don't like Rick Story, and I think Hieron should be able to pull off a win against Story. I hope Rick gets cut after this fight.

Post what you think should be the matchups made after this fight!

See less See more
#4 ·
Anderson should fight JBJ or retire.

GSP has lots of opponents left at WW, many who he has never fought.

1. Condit
2. Diaz
3. Fitch (deserves another shot after tonights performance)
4. Kampmann
5. Marquardt
6. Ellenberger
7. Maia

Silva just dominated a large LHW. As much as I like GSP, he has no chance against Silva. GSP is two weight classes below Bonnar, and smaller than Silva. Silva knows this, and appears to refuse to fight JBJ, while challenging GSP...

#12 ·
GSP is the wrestler and is like 6 or 7 years younger than Anderson.

Jones would dwarf Anderson like Anderson would dwarf GSP. Why should the old man of the 3 guys have to be the one who moves up to do a mega fight while the other 2 boys stay at their weight?

GSP would get wrecked. GSP fights like once every 2 years. No one should care about GSP.

Nick Diaz wants the Anderson fight. Even mentioned something on his page after the fight last night. I like Diaz, but he would get wrecked. At least he isn't afraid to try.

#21 ·
With his last two fights on contract he expressed interest in fighting GSP. Again he reiterated that within his camp there's Lil Nog, Fejiao, and Lyoto who are capable of challenging the current LHW title holder so he doesn't want to fight em. Dana White interjected and said he'll make it happen eventually...lolz...Anderson made a funny face while shaking his head to the audience and saying no.

Then he said he'd like to fight another five years with Dana saying heck I want him to fight another 55 fights.

Then towards the end one of the reporters asked Dana and Anderson about what they thought about woman fighting. Anderson surprisingly said he didn't particularly enjoy it. Then Rony Jason sheepishly took the mic and said, "I LIKE!"

#9 ·
Absolutely, I think that could be one of the best fights ever, Anderson v GSP is gonna be boring imo, GSP will do nothing but look for take downs and hold him down. Diaz and Anderson would be fun to watch even though it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, Nick can take a lot of punishment and also dish out a ton too. Obviously Anderson would be clearly the favorite but he is not gonna completely rip the shit out of diaz standing like he has done with everyone else, Diaz would be able to hold his own imo, he would still lose standing but make it a good fight.

#11 ·
Reza Madadi vs Justin Salas
Christiano Marcello vs Anton Kuivanen
Luiz Cane vs Jason Macdonald
Chris Camozzi vs Ronny Markes
Sergio Moraes vs Justin Edwards
Joey Gambino vs Daniel Pineda
Diego Brandao vs Jonathan Brookins
Francisco Trinaldo vs John Cholish
Gleison Tibau vs Thiago Tavares
Sam Sicilia vs Justin Lawrence
Rony Jason vs Rani Yayha
Rick Story vs John Maguire
Demian Maia vs Mike Pierce
Wagner Prado vs Chad Griggs
Phil Davis vs Ryan Bader
Erick Silva vs Brian Ebersole
Jon Fitch vs Jake Ellenberger
Fabio Maldonado vs Roger Hollett
Glover Teixiera vs Rampage Jackson
Dave Herman vs Christian Morecraft
Antonio Nogueira vs Bigfoot Silva
Stephan Bonnar vs Brandon Vera
Anderson Silva vs GSP or Weidman/Boetsch winner or Michael Bisping

#13 ·
Anderson - GSP or Weidman. GSP if he is willing.

Bonnar - Forrest: why not?

Big Nog - Who cares? He is awesome no matter who he fights. He wins with style, loses with style, gets injured with style. Some ideas, Josh Barnett or Kongo? Not huge on a Struve fight.

Dave Herman - probably cut.

Glover: Rampage

Fabio: Igor

Fitch: Ellenberger

E. Silva: DHK

Phil Davis: Bader

Maia: Winner of Rory vs. Penn.

#15 ·
I like Maghales/Davis neither is very good though and it likely turns into an awkward striking match.

Maia/Kos- see how he does with the elite wrestlers of the WW division.

Rick Story/Erick Silva - Another wrestler to challenge Silca but one on a lower level than Fitch.

Jon Fitch - Penn/Rory winner would make sense but otherwise Martin Kampmann.

Wagner Prado/Krzysztof Soszynski

Fabio Malondo vs Igor Pokrajac

Glover Teixeira - Rampage, Ryan Bader, Shogun or at least Brandon Vera. Give the man somebody we have heard off.

Stephen Bonnar/Forrest Griffen. Win or lose against Chael, Griffen is close to retirement and I say let those two go out the way they came in.

Nog/Kongo

Anderson Silva has to fight Jon Jones. No other fight will add to his legacy at this point.

#17 ·
Diaz Vs Silva is my dream fight considering that it'd be my #1 and #3 fighter going against each other stand up. Diaz can take punches as good as anyone else, but only when he's expecting them. Anderson's attacks are so unpredictable.

But not to push the boat out on noticing things, but I think Diaz has an alright chance. Bonnar quickly got Silva on the cage, and when Silva was moving his head, Bonnar was throwing at it. Diaz would be punishing the body a lot more, and I think it was against Maia (or Leites) where Silva got pretty gassed. If Diaz would punish him to the body, and somehow survive 3 rounds, he'd have a big oppertunity to take it. He'd also have better submission skills if the fight was ever taken down, but I think that's really irrelevent. The key element would be if Diaz could take the shots with his hands down low (like he has a million times before), or if Anderson hits as amazingly hard as he did against Bonnar and puts him away in as equally dominant fashion.

#19 ·
The difference is if Anderson hurts Diaz - since Diaz gets hurt pretty much every time he fights a serious striker - he'll finish Diaz. Anderson doesn't let people recover.

Anderson hasn't gassed in years and has never been tkoed in mma or any sport that I am aware of. Diaz really requires his opponents to let him push them back against the cage because his ability to cut off the cage is limited at best. Silva would do very bad things to Diaz. First round ko or tko.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.