Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Just me? Ready to see Silva get finished.

8K views 71 replies 39 participants last post by  Don$ukh 
#1 ·
I lost all respect for silva last night, i cant wait for the day he stands in front of his opponent with his hands down like an idiot and he gets clowned and KTFO. Just me? We all know he is a great fighter, he doesnt need to act like a douche to prove it.

#5 ·
aww thanks for the neg reps fellas.

i see what a couple of yall are saying, but my point is... is his showboating really worth it? one day if he doesnt retire before then, it could bite him in the ass with someone that catches a solid shot with power. if anyone thinks he is unbeatable then they are retarded.

#7 ·
The point isn't just showboating. IMO he uses it to confuse his opponents, and make them second guess their approach to the fight. Most of the time it works really well and his opponent throws his game plan out the window.

So here's a scenario, you are a great fighter standing across the ring from Anderson. You know take-downs are his weakness so you storm across and try to press him against the cage, to set up the take down.

Its not working, so you try to start throwing some punches to soften him up.

Its not working.

So then you just lose it and try to take his head off.

he drops his hands and lets you go to town and it does nothing.

What do you do from here?

#8 ·
He broke Bonnar mentally when he did that, it's part of the game, it's no different than what Nick and Nate do, except Anderson doesn't spew obscenities and rep his hometown in the process.

I didn't see a problem with it, my problem is still him holding the Middleweight title hostage.

#14 ·
the showboating is actually apart of why he beats opponenets IMO. A lot of people have talked about how silva wins by mentally dominating... He does this by this point here

'He basically is saying 'I'm not going to beat you with your weakness. I'm going to beat you with what you thought was your strength'

And just by going out there and showing a person he is confident enough to do that, they mentally crumble.

#16 ·
Silva was going to start fighting "Greg Jackson Style" and go for the win against an average fighter coming out of retirement?!?! Can't see Bonner being that unprepared.

I don't think your giving enough credit to his opponents. Anderson has been doing those kind of things for years....these guys have spent weeks training for the fight...I really doubt it surprises them.

I enjoy his fights as much as anybody but I think you guys are giving him waaaay too much credit. I think he just does it to entertain everybody.

#15 ·
Everyone thought Roy Jones jr was unbeatable & in his heyday he was but then he got old & looked human. Anderson put on a show last night but it was against Bonner who hits about as hard as Forrest or bisping. You really think he would stand in front of Texiera like that? Showboating is part of the sport & its the same as Ali or Roy Jones jr. you love it or hate it & you will watch it because you either love to see him put on the show or you hope he's put to sleep. I like it I just hope he doesn't stay past his prime like Roy Jones or Ali.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using VerticalSports.Com App

#18 ·
Anderson Deserves every bit of credit he's getting. Yeah sure Bonnar isn't up to much, but who has ever been able to do what silva has done to Bonnar and Griffen?.

Everyone acts like he has beat cans. Alot of you guys where giving Belfort a shot at Jones and Silva front kicked him in the face. A lot of you guys hang out of Dan Henderson's a**, the guy that beat Fedor, the guy that beat Shogun in fight of The Year, what happened to him, silva choked him out. Silva is the greatest of all time, and I dnt care what he does in the cage to his opponents.

#20 ·
As others have said, it's purely a 'mental attack'. It hasn't worked on everyone (Sonnen), but it's a solid way to throw your opponent off of his game without actually doing much work. He broke both Forrest and Bonnar with a few dodges and waves of the hand. Not many men can do that. I obviously feel badly for his opponents, as Bonnar will now surely retire and Griffin hasn't been the same man since, but hey... if you've got the gift, use it.

Some men break you with their endurance. Others break you with their wrestling. Silva breaks you with his mind. It is what it is.

#42 ·
Some men break you with their endurance. Others break you with their wrestling. Silva breaks you with his mind. It is what it is.
I like how him and Sonnen basically take the same approach in different ways - Sonnen trash talks you to hell before a fight to get you aggressive and easier to take down, Silva taunts and goading them on to set up the counter punches.

#21 · (Edited)
Not at all. If guys like Stephen Bonnar are dumb enough to get drawn into the strike for strike match it's their fault, Silva stands there with his hands down and Bonnar doesn't close the gap, not Silva's fault. Silva just draws guys into standing in his range by giving them opportunities to hit him, Bonnar should have been hugging him for 3 rounds to get the lay'n'pray but he did exactly what Okami did.

You can not fault Silva for using a strategy that tricks fighters into playing right into his hands. Sure it was cocky as hell, but don't stand 2 feet in front of him and you won't get kneed to death. Yeah you have to take the fight to him to win, but do it like Sonnen did in the first fight by allowing no distance ever. Bonnar stood right in front of him trying to tag him and that's exactly how Anderson beats guys. If you go into the cage and get tricked into trying to strike with Silva that's a reflection of how good Silva is. He goes over and makes sure the guy is ok afterwards, he's not doing it out of disrespect, he does it because people are dumb enough to think they can rock him standing.

Another reason you can't fault him is because if he didn't do what he did we wouldn't know how good he actually is, if he would have gone in and circled and been afraid of the takedown the fight would have been mediocre. Silva proved to the world that yes, he is the best, he will give himself a huge disadvantage and turn it into a trap. I'd rather watch a cerebral chess match where he completely outsmarts his opponents than a careful boxing match where he does what we already know he could do.

Did he embarrass Bonnar and was it unacceptable? I say Bonnar embarrassed himself by getting tricked just like Okami did. I don't get how people don't appreciate Anderson's performances, he's the best in the world at the sport we love to watch. Nobody does what he does, I don't even see how Bonnar's ego would be hurt so why bother being mad.

#56 ·
I can agree with most of what you've written, but I wouldn't say that Okami got tricked. Okami tried to wrestle Silva down against the cage at the beginning of their fight, but was convinced by a couple of Silva's knees to the ribcage that it's no fun to be in that distance with Silva. So he rather was forced to try the stand up game.

#29 ·
Seriously Mma fans will complain about anything.

I was at the bar last night and these two guys in affliction shirts were sitting at the bar behind me and during the fight they kept going Wtf this retard doing he doesn't know how to fight what a ******* idiot wow that black guy is getting his ass kicked, what a moron he's a bitch. Like two minutes left I turned around and said do you have any idea who that guy is? And they said no I just want boner to win so he can get knocked out by Chuck leedel. I just went prepare to be disappointed and turned back around.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

#32 · (Edited)
Seriously Mma fans will complain about anything.

I was at the bar last night and these two guys in affliction shirts were sitting at the bar behind me and during the fight they kept going Wtf this retard doing he doesn't know how to fight what a ******* idiot wow that black guy is getting his ass kicked, what a moron he's a bitch. Like two minutes left I turned around and said do you have any idea who that guy is? And they said no I just want boner to win so he can get knocked out by Chuck leedel. I just went prepare to be disappointed and turned back around.
lol they probably thought it was a lucky shot that ended it too.. i remember watching the Silva vs. Vitor fight in a bar and all i could hear was murmurs of it being a lucky shot and how he meant to kick him in the chest..

on a side note, its mostly uneducated fans that think his antics are disrespectful and purely showboating.. women a lot of the time too talk about how they cant stand to watch A.Silva fight because he plays with his food.. they just don't understand

#36 ·
What's the deal with all the butthurt over Silva proving he is the best fighter on the planet, again? Silva puts his hands down and moves, or just eats whatever he is hit with, for one simple reason, it forces his opponent to become confident in playing Silva's game. Hell, the only way Bonnar had any chance in the fight is if he could grind Silva against the cage. So..., Silva stood against the cage and let Bonnar try that. After a couple minutes or so, you could just tell Bonnar broke. He was implementing his best gameplan, Silva let him implement it, and it wasn't working. Bonnar broke mentally and spiritually. Went to plan B, which was hit and hope. By making Bonnar resort to plan B, Silva got the fight to his plan A, striking. Silva is a master technician. He is a tactical genius. It's not his damn fault he is that good. So..., if you are gonna be butthurt towards anybody, be butthurt towards..., God..., or whatever higher power that had the audacity to create a human being that is so f***ing much better than everybody else.

#37 ·
Silva deserves to be Knocked The **** Out. I can't stand him. He is soooo good and greatest ever, well then fight Jones. No, he wants to pick on a smaller guy that hast fought in years. What a joke.

#38 ·
You're a joke. He is the best of all time. He doesn't have to go fight a guy who could quite easily fight at heavyweight to prove he is the best. He wants to fight GSP because that's who he's wanted to fight for years and GSP is closer to his size than he is to Jones.

GSP walking around weight: 190 to 195
Anderson walking around weight: 202
Jones walking around weight: 230 to 240

So for Anderson to be the best Jones has to pick on a smaller guy coming towards the end of his career?

#48 ·
hatred? you think b/c i made a thread saying im tired of his showboating i hate him, and thats irrirational? do you watch other sports like football? tell me why you dont like another team and ill tell you you're being irrational. and no, i just think cruz is a fuggin doucher period. never liked him from the get go. silva, like i said... i used to like. i just dont care for that cocky, be bop around with your hands down, that shit is bound to catch up with you one day no matter who you are.

silva, cruz, etc. you cant but respect their abilities as a fighter, their styles may work, but god forbid i have an opinion and say i dont care for that part of him. i think its being careless, i dont give a shit who you are.

#45 ·
I agree he is the epitome of a douche while fighting, its weird how he bows and talks about respect, its like blatant hypocrisy. Hes arrogant in person too and does false humility which is even more annoying.

He plans on fighting for 5 more years so dont worry you will get to see what you want.

In the mean time check out him boxing a real boxer trying that clowning stuff and eating a left hook for it while looking like a tool.

#52 ·
If I may chime in I can sense your frustration because ironically I was not a fan of Prince Naseem, Sugar Shane Mosley, and Roy Jones Junior. They all had one thing in common.

Now for Silva he doesn't let his hands down til he figures out his opponents timing and power. It could be deemed as showboating, but really I think most are missing the point here. It's a pure tactical play. How many times has he proven that. He did it against Griffin, Okami, Belfort, Sonnen and now Bonnar.

It's the ultimate psyche out. You can't take it at face value then you'll deem it as showboating. Have you ever thought that it could backfire. It hasn't because he's always in control and it's part of his master plan.

The Spartans would hold formation while local village tribes would shout, yell and eventually charge in. The Spartans would hold calmly, defend, block, then counter attack and decimate entire legions. Why...because the tribes were scattered with no centralized focal point of attack while the Spartans had their shields protecting each other. Then they would rotate. Alexander followed by the Romans would perfect this phalanx formation many centuries later. In a battle against the Persians the Spartans feigned retreat then turned around and wiped them out as they ran after them breaking formation.

Just because they appear to be weak or defenseless does not mean they are. It is about controlling your opponent with the intent of finishing with an END GAME.

I hope you've gained more insight and appreciate Anderson Silva as you said that you were a fan before.

He's giving us a show and exhibiting martial arts at the highest level.

#57 ·
ok ill give u that, it may be tactical but i guess i wanna see someone actually take a fight to him where he doesnt feel confident enough to do that. i want to see someone bring the fight to anderson like we see in other bouts. yea, chael did their first fight and we saw what happened, but i wanna see a striker do the same. really show case his skills.

#53 · (Edited)
People saying he was in danger way underestimate his abilities. You could tell Anderson literally wanted to feel a little of Bonnar's power, mix it up and put on a show. The best part was when he went back into the corner, that may be the most badass thing I've ever seen.

Strategy wise Bonnar should have jumped on Anderson or backed the hell up, but he didn't and that's why Anderson is a freaking genius. He was in control of every single thing that happened in the fight, he let Bonnar push him against the cage, he let Bonnar hit him in the face. Anderson Silva outclassed Bonnar in such a devastating manner that Anderson would have had to close his eyes, fold his arms and kneel down to lose that fight. Bonnar could not have knocked him out because Anderson knows how to roll with punches so perfectly, there's a point where you just have to say yeah he is the best. It was amazing to watch from a strategical perspective, to see a smaller man have literally no chance to lose a fight against a bigger younger man. Anderson could have taken Bonnar's hardest punch and been fine because his reactions are so good he minimizes all damage by rolling with it, that was more art than combat yesterday.

credit to Bonnar for taking the fight, it takes two to make a masterpiece in the cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.