Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

The Era of Mixed Martial Entertainment Has Arrived

3K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  John8204 
#1 ·
The UFC stamped a message loud and clear this week with the decision to forgo the spirit of competition in favor of spirited banter by awarding Chael Sonnen a shot at Jon Jones’ light heavyweight title. In summation, the company is now approaching Mixed Martial Arts as though it’s actually Mixed Martial Entertainment. Vince McMahon would be proud. Me? Not so much.

Sonnen’s unprecedented booking in a bout men far more deserving were overlooked for is a slap in the face of any fan or fighter who held out hope that the UFC favored performance above all else…other than performance in front of a microphone/camera, that is. Gone are the days where it truly matters if you are a streaking veteran, former champion, Muay Thai master, Golden Gloves prodigy, BJJ blackbelt, Olympic medalist, or NCAA All-American. Taking their place is the new breed of fighter – a man who may not always win in the end but can cut a promo like no other.
In the immortal words of Forrest Griffin, who had the following to say of Sonnen’s chance at Jones’ championship on UFC Tonight, “Why work your way to the top when you can talk your way to the top?”
Let’s be completely clear about the situation – Sonnen called Jones out repeatedly after stepping up on short notice as a replacement and being rejected, the UFC was desperate to try and spark some additional interest in the Ultimate Fighter franchise, “Bones” compromised his principles, and the whole thing will be marketed as giving people what they supposedly want. Equally obvious in the equation, Sonnen has no right jumping Dan Henderson, Alexander Gustafsson, Lyoto Machida, Mauricio Rua, or even Glover Teixeira if the UFC professes to care about the purity of sport like every other major league does.

The 27-12-1 Sonnen has never notched a victory in the UFC as a light heavyweight, has scored a single stoppage inside the Octagon in more than three years since re-joining the promotion, has a ten-inch reach disadvantage, is smaller in general, is one-dimensional in a department Jones is completely competent in, and also happens to be 2-2 in his last two tilts with both losses involving a finish including his most recent appearance in the cage. Realistically, Sonnen’s takedowns are not going to work against a much larger guy who has literally put on his backside a single time in his UFC career, and he lacks the power as well as overall technique to put Jones away while standing. Comparably, Jones is more athletic and polished in numerous disciplines, possessing a variety of ways to end his adversary’s evening.
And yet, based on his sometimes comical, sometimes cringe-worthy rants Sonnen has been given a crack at perhaps the most valuable prize in the game. This is a strap that’s been worn by the likes of Hall of Famers Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, and Randy Couture as well as some of the best in the game today, not an oversized beltbuckle with a changeable nameplate and spinner up front.

There’s nothing wrong with factoring marketability into matchmaking. Every sport has an entertainment component involved and that’s okay. But, it should never be the primary focus of the product being sold. Fans want to see the best quarterback trying to lead their team to glory, not a career back-up who hasn’t ever won the big game but “has the biggest arms, the greatest charm, and does the most harm”; they aren’t interested in it being the bottom of the ninth in the World Series with the guy who is “better than Sean Combs” and “better than John Holmes” up to bat unless he’s clutch. And Sonnen is most certainly not that. Just ask Anderson Silva or, for that matter, Demian Maia if you have any doubt.
When the dust finally settles, the two will face off on TUF, Sonnen will talk smack, Jones will try to do the same but fail more often than not, the eventual bout will lead to an entertaining but obvious victory for the supremely skilled 25-year old, and life will move on. The silver-tongued Sonnen’s elevation from a former middleweight coming off a defeat to #1 contender at light heavyweight is by no means the end of the world but rather a “fun fight” loads of folks will tune in for. It is, however, the end of the any innocence still remaining in the evolution of the UFC, and that, in my opinion, marks a somewhat sad day in MMA history.
Fiveouncesofpain

An article i think you guy's would find interesting.

#28 · (Edited)
I somewhat agree - it's just never been as obvious until now.

Another way I look at it is this;
The UFC travels to Canada, Brazil, Japan and the UK several times each year. When they do so, the cards are loaded up with fighters from the "home" country. It's unreasonable to think that the UFC can do this, without somewhere along the line overlooking some of the most deserving, and the most competitive fights. They book the fights that will sell when they travel to these countries, and not necessarily the most competitive fights.

They are in the business of selling tickets and PPVs, and if there has to be a compromise between ratings/sales and quality/competitiveness of fights, ratings/sales will take priority. (especially when ratings are struggling).

#4 ·
There are clear flaws in this argument. First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW. The article seems to imply that entertainment is valued more than competitive level, which is absurd. Think of the match ups we'd see if that were even close to true.

There's also no denying the fact that they're giving us the fights the majority of fans want to see. What it fails to mention is that the reason Chael vs Jones is happening is because more people will buy it. IE, more people want to see it.

That article is no more than a fine example of the fickle and often clouded sense of logic that comes with the majority of MMA fans.

#5 ·
Seriously? The bolded part made me lol after your argument... I can't take you serious now.
There are clear flaws in this argument. First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW. The article seems to imply that entertainment is valued more than competitive level, which is absurd. Think of the match ups we'd see if that were even close to true.

There's also no denying the fact that they're giving us the fights the majority of fans want to see. What it fails to mention is that the reason Chael vs Jones is happening is because more people will buy it. IE, more people want to see it.

That article is no more than a fine example of the fickle and often clouded sense of logic that comes with the majority of MMA fans.

#11 ·
What are you people complaining about? Back when Jon Jones declined the fight with Chael Sonnen everybody in the world except for me, Ben Henderson, and King Mo were ragging on Bones and saying he should have fought Sonnen. I tried explaining to everybody on here that they should be angry at Dana White for even suggesting such an absurd fight, but instead everybody was talking about how Jones was a ***** and isn't being a team player or keeping the fans in mind. Now that the fight is on, everybody wants to act like it's a tragedy? What happened?
All of you morons are getting exactly what you deserve. Be careful what you wish for next time...

And to be clear, I have been calling this fight a joke and a disgrace from Day 1 since Dana proposed it as a replacement fight. You can look through my posts and you'll see this is true. The Bones-Sonnen TUF is a sad day for the UFC indeed, and 2012 overall has been a terrible year as an MMA fan and I have lost a TON of respect for Dana White and the UFC as a result.

#18 · (Edited)
If it was like 80s WWF and all the fighters had crazy gimmicks but the fighting was real, I would be totally OK with that.

I'm talking the full costumes, none of that wrestling tights garbage. Think The Mountie, IRS, Big Boss Man, Sgt. Slaughter, Kamala, etc...

This is what happens when you have a champion that isn't a draw, you have to have them fued with a character with a lot of heat to get a good rub and get them over.

This is WWE attitude era thou as both guys are neutral characters ATM.

Perhaps Bones will turn full heel and Sonnen will turn face? That would be a good bit of booking. Bones can give Sonnen a bump and if Sonnen really sells the cut, that`ll get Bones some good heat, then when Sonnen does the job, Bones can go full heel in a mic spot after the match.

I`m thinking this will be a good time to bring back Lesnar. He`ll get a big pop and he and Sonnen can fued with Bones which will put Bones ever more over.

We can have Junior put Lesnar, then Bones and Lesnar can work a HW match at Wrestlemania at Madison Square Gardens.

#19 ·
Lmao at Sooj and the Rocky mention. I was making cartoons for a while and I considered making one where the commission talks to Apollo about his decicison to fight an unknown fighter who isn't even on the ranks as his next title fight. Need to get back into that shit.

And ONE occurance of someone getting a title shot undeservingly means that the entire UFC is changing? From Lesnar/Couture until now it hasnt happened, and that was something like 50 events ago.

#20 ·
I just don't understand how John Jones can justify taking a fight with Chael Sonnen. When just yesterday he said Daniel Cormier wasn't deserving:confused02: He also said DC isn't that well known, but I'm pretty sure TUF would of helped with that...

This is ducking at it's finest...

#22 ·
This is about one thing and one thing only.

Money....

You know why Glover, Gustaf, and Phil aren't getting title shots, because the UFC doesn't want to pay them and then have to spend the next 5-10 years paying those guys contender level wages.

The UFC is now going to make these guys (and Jimo, Manuwa, and Magalehas) fight each other over the next year till we get one contender the UFC has to pay and not three. Chael and Belfort got title shots because they're already getting big pay checks. The UFC doesn't have to add another Main Eventer to the books.

The real victim in all of this is Alexander Gustafsson, he would have taken a title shot last month but the UFC refused to "screw around" with another event (in DECEMBER). Although they had no problem asking Shogun(Gustaf's opponent) to fight Jones. Whats the difference between the two men....$150,000 guaranteed dollars. It's a horrible catch-22 in this sport, you want a shot at the champion make sure like you are paid like a champion first and then we'll give you the shot.

#23 ·
Fighters have been getting ill-deserved title shots since the beginning of the sport, it's always been about money. You can't tell me that having Tito fight Ken three ******* times wasn't all about money.

#25 ·
They should have made it Cormier vs Sonnen for TUF. Then we could see Fhael get shut down in the coaching department as well as fighting. I also don't see Jones being a very good coach with his head so far up his own ass coupled with the fact Fhael doesn't deserve to wash John's jock strap in his mouth, let alone get an immediate title shot against him. I didn't realize sh*t talk is a major component of mma now. In that case, step aside Anderson/Fedor/GSP I'm the new GOAT and I'm here to stay.:confused05:

#32 ·
I actually love this fight. Not because I think Fail Sonnen has the slightest glimmer of hope of any chance in this fight, but because this very well might be his last fight, ever. Fail will get beaten within an inch of his life, hopefully ending his career in such an embarrassing fashion that he goes into hiding. Or, we could get really lucky, and Fail will be beaten to death so we never have to hear him say another stupid thing, ever.

#41 ·
Oh, this era came years ago. Freakshow fights in Pride, The Ultimate Fighter, Kimbo Slice, Gary and Jarrod Shaw, Brock Lesnar, BJ Penn getting multiple undeserved title shots, and many many more fine examples of sports entertainment. Chael Sonnen didn't usher in a new age because that age was already here.

#43 ·
This is such a fallacious argument. What's happening with Chael here is completely unprecedented; can anybody name a single instance in UFC history when a fighter coming off a loss was given a title shot at a HIGHER weight class that he has never fought at in the UFC? I CHALLENGE YOU TO REFUTE THIS!

#52 ·
I agree 100% with this article it is nonsense then Sonnen is getting a shot at Jones. I'm not interested in that match up at all I think it will be easy for Jones. Sonnen hasn't proved any abilities to be a contender at light heavyweight. IMO this is a slap in the face of all the contenders in the light heavyweight division and all the hardcore fans that watch MMA as a sport and to see the best martial artists in the world fight.

#53 ·
I'm almost half tempted to say B.J. Penn as well. He did lose to GSP (unspectacular fashion as well) before he fought Hughes for the title and WW isn't really his natural weight class. But GSP did get injured and they needed a replacement so I guess I'll let it slide.

#56 · (Edited)
Lesnar = Beat Heath Herring.
Couture = Former HW Champ
Edgar = Former LW Champ, lost controversial fight, many feel he won.
Silva and Bonner = Last minute fight
Belfort = Short notice fight, on a win streak.
Any other guy you thought of was undeserving was either either already proven, or on a win streak, or used as a last minute replacement to save a Event at least.

Sonnen = ???

Sonnens situation is no way similar to the rest of these guys, still cant believe people are finding excuses in thinking that Dana White made the right choice to get crapped on. Sonnen isint proven, he is not on a win streak and this isint a LAST MINUTE FIGHT! Sonnen now has 6 months to prepare! The same 6 months that Machida, Hendo etc wanted but was told to buzz off by Dana! This is driving me bananas when MMAFighting.com editors and some Zuffa zombies are not getting these facts. And them using his "dominated Silva for 4 Rounds", or no one else would step up as an excuse for him earning this fight with Jones is insane. They didnt want to fight Jones at the last minute, but they would now if thy had 6 months to prepare. Sonnen struck undeserved gold, and he probably knows it.

PS. Someone please give me some instances where this happened in other sports, since you say it happens often, I would like to see it. Their is a reason why they have a regular season in team sports, to see who is most deserving to go the playoffs and play for the Championship. Kickboxing has Tournaments, Bellator has tournaments, Boxing would get eaten alive if they let a loser with a .500 record fight for a Title. The only place where this happens often is... WWE. And the UFC=WWE comparisons have been getting pretty accurate, but I dont think even the WWE would let Triple H go to Wrestlemania if he lost on Raw and got his hype destroyed. I also dont think fellow Combat Sports would even allow something like this to happen.

#57 ·
Lesnar = Beat Heath Herring.
Couture = Former HW Champ
Edgar = Former LW Champ, lost controversial fight, many feel he won.
Silva and Bonner = Last minute fight
Belfort = Short notice fight, on a win streak.
Any other guy you thought of was undeserving was either either already proven, or on a win streak, or used as a last minute replacement to save a Event at least.

Sonnen = ???

Sonnens situation is no way similar to the rest of these guys, still cant believe people are finding excuses in thinking that Dana White made the right choice to get crapped on. Sonnen isint proven, he is not on a win streak and this isint a LAST MINUTE FIGHT! Sonnen now has 6 months to prepare! The same 6 months that Machida, Hendo etc wanted but was told to buzz off by Dana! This is driving me bananas when MMAFighting.com editors and some Zuffa zombies are not getting these facts. And them using his "dominated Silva for 4 Rounds", or no one else would step up as an excuse for him earning this fight with Jones is insane. They didnt want to fight Jones at the last minute, but they would now if thy had 6 months to prepare. Sonnen struck undeserved gold, and he probably knows it.
Just to add to your already good points. Vitor was also a former UFC Champion and not just a last minute replacement but multiple fighters turned down the last minute replacement before it fell in Vitor's lap. That situation is in no way comparable to Sonnen.
Bonnar vs Silva was not for any title, Bonnar was on a 3 fight win streak and the favorite to win the fight was the guy moving up in weight. That's on top of being a late replacement to save a card. Again that is completely different situation.
Frankie was just rematching for a title he had around his waste coming into the fight before. No need to go any further, obviously not comparable to Chael situation.

Just thought I'd add that to your list. If it would let me + you again, I would.

#58 ·
@OUSOONERSOU lol bro I almost forgot this one "Hendo had two title shots in a row before and lost them both" excuse. Hendo was the PRIDE MW and LHW Champion, he was in those because he had to unify the freaking Titles with his UFC counterparts! I guess your casual MMA fan doesent know that. :confused03:

#59 ·
Y'know the difference between Lesnar and Chael, Lesnar was one of five men(Nog, Mir, Sylvia, Couture) in the title mix with the regular and interim title shots the division wasn't shut down for 18 months which is what this Belfort/Sonnen thing has done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.