Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Jones heading to HW at the end of 2013? He says "Probably"

3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  BlackManRising 
#1 ·
It wasn't long ago that Jon Jones floated the idea of a move to heavyweight into the media, only to have it quickly shut down by UFC President Dana White. Jones, the reigning UFC light heavyweight champion, had work to do, White essentially said, and plenty of challengers were breaking down the door for a shot at his belt.

Fast forward to a current climate that sees Jones preparing to defend his title for a fifth consecutive time, against a man who hasn't fought at light heavyweight in seven years, and the notion of Jones moving up in weight no longer seems so far-fetched.

Participating in an online MetroPCS chat with fans on Tuesday night, White, with Jones by his side, posed the question to the 25-year-old champ.

"I'll definitely move up to heavyweight," Jones responded. "But it'll probably be around 2013. Maybe at the end of 2013."

Jones is currently filming The Ultimate Fighter 17 opposite former middleweight Chael Sonnen in advance of the pair's April 27th title fight.

After which, Jones made it clear he still desires a fight against Dan Henderson in order to wrap up the UFC 151 chapter of his life. Minutes later, "Bones" also expressed interest in fighting rising Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson in order to quiet critics who complain about his reach advantage.

So while a move to heavyweight is obviously on his mind, Jones' reign at light heavyweight still has plenty of mileage left in the tank.

"Right now I have a nutritionist and I'm starting to take the career a lot more seriously than I used to, so my weight cuts are getting a lot easier," said Jones. "I walk around a lot thinner naturally. Right now I'm at, like, 225 (pounds). That's a 20-pound cut. That's really easy. So I might look bigger than most people when I'm fighting, but I'm really not."
Source: MMAFighting.com

If he only has 1 or 2 fights left at LHW I really feel like it's a shame one of them is against Chael :/

#5 ·
Minutes later, "Bones" also expressed interest in fighting rising Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson in order to quiet critics who complain about his reach advantage.

Am I missing something here? so just because Gustafsson is as tall as Jones, that somehow negates the fact that Jones reach is 84.5 and Gustafssons reach is 76? Alex is really a T-rex for such a tall guy & has the same reach as Shogun.

Also regarding Jones moving to HW I really hope he does soon, he has so many more interesting matchups there than at LHW.

#16 · (Edited)
I may get some flack for this, but in my opinion, Jon Jones has NOT cleaned out the division enough to make a permanent move up to Heavyweight. He's got so many contenders lined up. Chael Sonnen, Machida/Henderson winner, Gus/Shogun winner, DC, Teixera, Phil Davis. Who knows what kind of future guys like Ryan Jimmo and Nedkov will have. And what if guys like Mo Lawal, Mousasi, and Feijao join by then and they tear up the LHW division?

He's still got plenty of fights still at Light Heavyweight. And while he may be the favorite in just about all his fights in the up and coming future, to completely right off the rest of the division is ridiculous, especially seeing how unpredictable UFC fights are...

#18 ·
Jones weighs a alot more then 225lbs. This is exactly what Rashad Evans was referring too. The guy is fake as a 3 dollar bill. He would rather lie to the public and have them think he is smaller then he actually is so his looks greater in his skills. Jones gets offened in interviews when people say he's bigger then everyone.

He was 225 back in late 2010... Somenbody post up some pics of him then and now.. he's put on at least 15 pounds of solid muscle.

#20 ·
Now how do you know he's lying?

The only way to prove this is someone tweet Jones and ask him to record him weighing in or something.

#19 ·
Overeem would snap those chicken legs in half. Jones would have to bulk up a lot to be competitive at HW. His entire game plan at lhw revolves around out muscling guys, which he won't be able to do unless he makes the transition slowly. Jones does have aHW frame though, so let's not kid ourselves; Jones could be a full sized 250-265lb HW in 5 years if he starts bulking up.

#24 ·
I believe him when he talks about his weight because in the past he has mentioned getting to larger than 230 when he took too much time off. Based on his response it sounds like he says that isn't happening anymore because he has a nutritionist who helps him watch his weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.