Dragonlance had mages' colleges just like that in 1986. Four years before Jordan penned the first WoT novel.
I've read those novels too but the one in Dragon Age is almost a point for point rip off of the White Tower from the WoT.
- inborn gift dangerous if untrained
- taken from their parents by force if need be
- initiated through the dream world through a ceremony that they can't be told about ahead of time
- the emotional/power lobotomy if they are considered uncontrollable.
- an organization of warriors dedicated to their defense who also have the duty of killing them if they turn "bad"
Does it get much more blatant than that? Individual characters can even be linked between the two. It's really, really bad.
That is not dead which can eternal lie and withs strange aeons even death may die.