Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

JDS Reminds Everyone, Including Jon Jones, Who is the “Baddest Man on the planet."

8K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  Killz 
#1 ·
JDS Reminds Everyone, Including Jon Jones, Who is the “Baddest Man on the planet."

Junior dos Santos Reminds Everyone, Including Jon Jones, Who is the “Baddest Man on the Planet”

Junior dos Santos is not a fighter that backs down from challenges, and any fighter willing to step into the heavyweight division will find that out very quickly.

Through nine fights in the UFC, dos Santos has nine victories, with seven of those coming by way of knockout or TKO. In the two decisions he’s had, dos Santos has battered those opponents into a bloody pulp, leaving no doubt who was the victor when the final bell sounded.

Despite the path of destruction that dos Santos has left in his wake, he’s rarely mentioned in the mythical “pound-for-pound” discussion, but there’s one fight out there that could change all that… if it ever happens.

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has teased for months about potentially moving up to heavyweight, and stated recently he might even do so by the “end of 2013.” If that happens, Jones would then enter the peripheral vision of UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos, and that might be just the challenge he’s been looking for.

“People like to imagine a lot of things. Jon Jones is an amazing fighter. He’s really good, he’s so confident, and I like him a lot. He’s very nice with me; I’m nice with him,” dos Santos said about Jones recently.

RELATED POSTS

Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez Not Likely to Land at UFC 152 After All
Junior Dos Santos Still Looking for a Knockout Against Frank Mir at UFC 146
Junior dos Santos Knee Nearing 100-Percent
UFC Champ Junior dos Santos Headed for Surgery
Brock Lesnar Ready to Prove He’s Still the Baddest Dude on the Planet
Handshakes and smiles aside, dos Santos has no problem with Jones, but if he decides to take a trip into the heavyweight division, then the Brazilian will happily defend his turf. Then dos Santos will remind Jones just who really is the “baddest man on the planet.”

“I’ve got the heavyweight belt. There is just one baddest man on the planet, and I think I am this guy now. If he moves up to the heavyweight division, I would think about that fight,” said dos Santos.

“If they put him in front of me to challenge me, we’re going to fight. I will give my best.”

The next time the heavyweight champion will compete is at UFC 155 in a rematch against Cain Velasquez, the man he defeated to win the title. Following that, dos Santos will most likely come face-to-face with former Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem.

But if dos Santos can do to those two opponents what he’s already done in his last nine fights in the UFC, a superfight with Jon Jones might be just the kind of match-up the heavyweight champion would get excited about, and the timing would likely line up perfectly at the end of 2013.
Source

See less See more
#55 ·
I have to agree... JDS is the baddest man on the planet. He's a great striker but I think his mentality is the most dangerous part about him. If he had not become an martial artist I think he would have been an assassin. I really think his brain works differently than most people.

#60 ·
I don't care who would win between JDS and Anderson, they will never fight and rightly so.

JDS vs Jones... bring it on. We all want to see Jones move up, many feel he should be a HW already. Nothing wrong with him being LHW, he makes weight without consequence so fair is fair... but every fight is the same story.

I want to see Jones outmuscled, I want to see him forced to scrap, I want JDS to show everyone who the boss is. He's not the only HW I'd pick over Jones either.

#61 ·
It can't be said that Anderson has one of the better chins in MMA, imo. How often have we seen him hit? Rarely. And when have we ever seen him hit with a power shot? Never.

To my knowledge, Chael Sonnen is the only man to ever knock Anderson on his arse. And that was hardly a power shot. Granted, Sonnen is awesomeness in human form.

#74 ·
If it was his first Heavyweight fight Cigano would KO him for sure. A lot of Bones striking is so successful because of the Anderson Silva effect but with technically superior strikers like Dos Santos and Reem, not to mention Cain (with his own skill set). I personally can't wait for Bones to move up.

I just hope Anderson gets to whoop him first.

#79 ·
Yea, a common quality opponent is more relevant than fluke flying submissions in the very early stages of Anderson's career. Before he was widely known. Before he was considered great. Yea, I would say the Hendo example is a TAD more relevant. Both fighting Hendo within the last 5 years. Not fights from '04 and '03. I mean call me CRAZY, but I would think a Dan Henderson example is just a little more relevant.

Your post would be all great and stuff if my whole argument was based off 1 example of MMA Math.

This place is sort of funny like that. You use one example...and people call you a newb, and idiot, for using MMA Math. It is like a badge of honor to be the guy who posts 'MMA MATH Doesn't work!"

So you can continue to freak out over 1 small example and entertain me with irrelevant fights from almost 10 years ago and act like they had the same significance as an Anderson title fight or a Fedor/Hendo main event.

I apologize for posting any semblance of MMA Math.

Take the Hendo fights TOTALLY out of the conversation. I still think Anderson is better than Fedor all time. So what are you mad at?

#81 ·
Who knows for sure. But in my opinion Anderson in his Prime would have beat pretty much everyone Fedor beat back then. Nog may have been able to get him down and keep him there or eventually sub him. But the others would have got sub'd with their sad sub defense. Or KO'd/outstruck. Anderson the 185lb champ would have beat all these HW monsters...in my opinion.

Lets look at Fedor's last 8 wins. Count them 8.

Pedro Rizzo: A former champ! Over a decade ago! Was coming off a beastly Ken Shamrock win!

Ishii: a Judo champ that had like 5 fights!

Jeff Monson: Yea, that pile of back back problems so far out of his prime it isn't funny!

Brett Rogers: A former tire changer. A straight can these days who beats women for glory! A never was.

AA: actually a decent win here. Always had a glass chn though. But good win here at the time.

Tim Sylvia: The slowest HW of all time. Basically a slob that shows how sad the UFC HW division was at one point.

Hong man Choi! Enough said.

Matt Linland! An old ass 185er who finished his career 2-5 in his last 7 fights!

Did he decline when he came to SF? Or did he run into actual fighters who weren't broken down, old, one-dimensional, freak shows?

Anderson can translate too any era. Even the future. At multiple weights. Fedor even in his prime wouldn't be able to handle today's HW division. At least in my opinion. And he never got the energy to drop to 205 once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.