Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Bonnar and Herman tested positive at UFC 153

6K views 74 replies 35 participants last post by  rabakill 
#1 ·
#43 ·
Thats not really how it works.

Its helps cut water weight. If you are really heavy then water weight wont be enough. And IF you are very heavy and you cut purely water weight especially using Drostanolone. Chances are you are going to be taken to the hospital before you ever step in to the octagon.

+

We all imagined Bonnar to be much bigger then Anderson and Anderson to be faster. If they had a full training camp then everything would have been exactly the same. Bonnar would make weight and be the bigger guy while Anderson would be a little smaller.
So he basically just did what he had to do to make weight since it was a short notice fight and he was retired. (I see no problem there. Anyway that is my opinion and i am going to sleep. No one is going to make me care about something just because they care about it.)

Also I was actually surprised at how close they were in size. I expected Bonnar to be alot bigger then Anderson but he wasnt.

#44 ·
let the roiders roid.

their own fault if they get caught.

better yet, make roids legal... then everyone can get some and it's all good and even. :p

#45 ·
Drostanolone isn't just a weight-cuting steroid. It's derived from DHT and is highly androgenic & will give you a massiv increase in power/endurance, especially when cutting alot of weight. So IMO it's more likely that he took it to retain his strength while cutting all that weight rather than just as a weight-cutting susbstance.

You have to have experience with these things to know how they work, Drostanolone isn't strictly a diuretic & should 100% be considered cheating.

You can't compare hormones like this to weed or sleeping-pills or any other borderline "cheating" substances that happen to be banned in competition. Drostanolone is alot closer to testosteron than any of those other things.

Drostanolone is baciscly the same ting as DHT. This is what you can read on wiki about DHT:

In men, approximately 5% of testosterone undergoes 5α-reduction to form the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone. DHT has approximately three times greater affinity for androgen receptors than testosterone and has 15-30 times greater affinity than adrenal androgens.[1] During embryogenesis DHT has an essential role in the formation of the male external genitalia, while in the adult DHT acts as the primary androgen in the prostate and in hair follicles.

#49 ·
I would like to add that it now appears that a large contingency of super star athletes are using some form of PED or illegal substance. It's almost a norm now or perhaps it's always been around. Since the screening is a lot more stringent athletes are subjected to more tests and thus are a red flagged.

Every sport except for golf has experienced these issues or maybe curling and race car driving...hahha. You get the picture though.

It's too bad really. As one person use to say...cheaters never prosper.

#50 ·
Can't see how people can still defend this guy. His last big fight (The Griffin rematch) he also tested positive. Who knows how many other times he has been using and beat the test.

I dont think you can read a few sentences on wikipedia and then try and tell people how this steroid works. UFC needs to be more strict with these punishments.

#51 ·
I find it so funny that people think because it is used for water cutting...then that is exactly what it was for.

Bonnar has been popped for roids before..so why give him the benefit of the doubt? That roid he was popped for is a great indicator into actual full fledged ROID use. It is a supplement guys take after roid cycles.

Mo was JUST popped for the same thing. And made a big deal as he didn't know it was in a supplement he was given a local GNC. Is Bonnar really THAT dumb after all these years...popped once...long time vet...that he took something without knowing what he was taking? Or if it was legal?

Bottom line is he knew. He was popped before. He just slipped out and retired after this. It is BANNED for a reason. That reason is because it goes hand in hand with anabolic roid use. It has many times in the past.

Bonnar is/was aware of this. It is a shame that so many guy do in fact use roids and are able to cover it up. But a guy that was popped before doesn't surprise me. Bonnar cheated once...cheated again....and prolly cheated a bunch of times without being caught.

#54 ·
I'm just riled up over the fact people think Bonnar is that ignorant to substances this far into his career.

Was never a huge Bonnar fan but always respected him in the cage. He got popped before so it isn't that shocking.

Just a shame to go out on a failed drug test and a suspension. He had the opportunity to fight the best fighter out there...had he somehow won it would have been erased. Why take that chance? Bonnar knew what he was taking and knew it was banned.

#64 ·
That is sort of my point. A guy as smart as Bonnar was willing to test positive (what if he won???) lose a chunk of money, and lose respect? The other option if just miss weight. Silva was defending nothing. Silva isn't a 205er. What difference would it have made if Anderson came in at 202 and Bonnar at 210?

He probably lost respect from Dana, Anderson, his fans...

Where as I doubt he would have lost any respect if he said the short notice and Brazil location was making it hard to get on weight. Guys do this all the time...and agree beforehand on a catchweight.

Who knows exactly what he used it for. If he used it for JUST cutting water he is still wrong. What kind of mentality would you bring into a fight if you knew in the back of your mind that you were going to fail the test? There was no commission in Brazil and Bonnar probably thought it was a good time to do it. UFC had their own testing and it obviously wasn't half-assed.

Either way it baffles me that a long standing vet would rather test positive for a failed blood test over asking for a weight change or straight up being fresher and missing weight by a few lbs. It is odd that making 205 in a "all for fun" fight was on the top of his list. Did he not want to lose respect for missing weight? But didn't care about the respect he'd lose for testing positive? Doesn't make any bit of sense to me?

#65 ·
Well if he missed weight he loses like 20% of his purse. And i can see him feeling like missing weight is more unprofessional then taking a cutting water weight substance and popping positive when you are already retired.

If he wasnt planning on retiring after the Anderson fight then id be hoping to your side a little more. But its his last fight so he wanted to make the weight he agreed to and since this was a huge opportunity he didnt want to bug his boss close to fight time "Hey boss... i wont make weight. Can you draw up new papers for a HW fight. And uhh notify Anderson?? OH AND THX AGAIN FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY".

I would rather deal with it on my own then having to make that call too. Especially if im retiring.

#68 ·
Bonnar has lost many times. What does takingg a loss have too do with anything?

I would think more people would like to retire with dignity and respect. Rather than leaving the sport on that note.

Don't see how it really matters "what they are going to do to him now"....it isn't even about that...

#67 ·
I just feel he lost more respect with Dana, fans, Anderson and so on than he would have if he asked to change it or actually miss weight (sure they would have accepted a HW fight)

Can't speak for him though. But if he knew he was going to retire...why not leave with respect? Why even fight if a win wouldn't of counted in the end anyway? Seems like a LOSE LOSE LOSE. He got a beatdown. He wouldn't of won even if he pulled off the unthinkable. He lost respect of his opponent (as we all know Anderson and that camp is not fond of positive tests and TRT use).

But oh well. It is Bonnar's legacy. Not mine.

#74 ·
Completely disappointed in Bonnar. Not only was he stupid for cheating but it really does make me wonder what made him think he could get away with it. It worked so well the first time he did it. Idiot.

#75 ·
I would have taken steroids too if I was facing Anderson Silva. I would have taken pcp right before the fight just to not die. I would take steroids for that fight not to cheat and win, but to not get hurt so badly you're life suffers from it. Look at it from Bonnar's perspective, he's out of shape and gets called up on short notice for the biggest fight of his life. Of course he's going to dope just so Anderson doesn't smash his face in and he is disfigured for life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.