MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - True or False: Stephan Bonnar should be in the UFC HoF?

View Single Post

Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Iuanes
Featherweight

Iuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DLee View Post
I vote no for putting Bonnar in the HoF. But whats so wrong with having Mask in there? I mean, he was the face for the biggest MMA Clothing brand out there. TapouT has sponsored at one time or another all of the biggest fighters. They sponsor the undercards guys and local fighters too. They even had a show on Versus that I liked watching. TapouT has been huge for the sport. He died in an untimely fashion and was put in to the HoF as a great gesture to remember him. Hell, his name is still on the Octagon a lot. I went to the first UFC event after his passing, UFN 18 in Nashville, and they left an empty chair next to Punkass and Skyscrape. Because tapout sponsors soooo f'in many people and are really the first huge company to come out of MMA, I support Mask in the HoF.
Agreed, I don't have too many problems putting mask in there. He basically pioneered MMA wear and sponsorship, but I wouldn't put him in there if he wasn't dead.

Fans might think its ridiculous because he's not a fighter and wore silly face paint, but you just have to think of him as being in the 'builder's' category, just like the hockey hall of fame has for non-players who contributed to the game

As for Bonnar, no. He simply wasn't good enough for era he was fighting. No belts, nothing really, just that one huge fight. If the UFC wants to make a category in the hall of fame for 'Hall of Fame fights' then fine, put Bonnar in there. Hall of Fames are supposed to celebrate excellence, Bonnar was an above average fighter who was caught cheating twice.
Iuanes is offline   Reply With Quote