Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC FOX 6 adds two more fights

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Stun Gun 
#1 ·
The card for the UFC's return to the Windy City continues to experience rapid growth.

Another pair of fights is headed for the January card in Chicago. Clay Guida (29-13 MMA, 9-7 UFC) will make his featherweight debut after a long run at lightweight when he meets Hatsu Hioki (26-5-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC). And heavyweights Mike Russow (15-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Shawn Jordan (13-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) will clash.

UFC officials late Wednesday announced the fight bookings, which the Chicago Sun-Times previously reported.

UFC on FOX 6 takes place Jan. 26 at Chicago's United Center and will be the promotion's second trip to that venue. UFC on FOX 2 took place there this past January. The main card will air on FOX with prelims on FUEL TV.

Guida is an upstate Illinois native who spent the first part of his career training in the Chicago suburbs. And Russow lives an hour south of Chicago, but is a police officer in the city.

Guida in September announced plans to drop from lightweight to featherweight and hoped to return to action in the first part of 2013. That will indeed be the case as he is thrown right into the 145-pound fire against Hioki, who until recently was regarded by many as the No. 2 featherweight in the world.

Guida in June dropped a close split decision to Gray Maynard in the main event of UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J. Prior to that, he dropped a lightweight title eliminator against Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 1, which snapped a four-fight win streak that included victories over Takanori Gomi and Anthony Pettis.

Hioki in June at UFC on FX 4 was upset by Ricardo Lamas by unanimous decision. That setback snapped a six-fight win streak for the Japanese fighter and was just his second loss since 2007.

Russow will look to get back on track after suffering his first loss since early 2007. In June, Russow went into enemy territory in Brazil and was quickly stopped by fan favorite Fabricio Werdum at UFC 147. That loss snapped Russow's 11-fight win streak. In January at UFC on FOX 2 in Chicago, Russow won a unanimous decision against John-Olav Einemo.

Jordan in July dropped a unanimous decision to Cheick Kongo at UFC 149 in a fight that was widely criticized by fans and UFC President Dana White alike. Jordan, a former fullback at Louisiana State University, won his UFC debut in March with a TKO of Oli Thompson.

UFC on FOX 6 will feature a main event flyweight title fight between champion Demetrious Johnson and top contender John Dodson, plus a lightweight contenders battle between Donald Cerrone and former WEC champion Anthony Pettis. Plus, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson recently tweeted he'll be meeting Glover Teixeira on the card.

The latest UFC on FOX 6 card now includes:
Champion Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson - for flyweight title
Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis
Quinton Jackson vs. Glover Teixeira
Clay Guida vs. Hatsu Hioki
Erik Koch vs. Ricardo Lamas
Shawn Jordan vs. Mike Russow
T.J. Grant vs. Matt Wiman
http://mmajunkie.com/news/31495/clay-guida-hatsu-hioki-mike-russow-shawn-jordan-added-to-ufc-on-fox-6-in-chicago.mma

I am excited to see Guida Vs Hioki. I think it's going to be a close fight.

#6 ·
I'm no Guida fan. But I don't see Hioki subbing him with ease.

Hioki came in pretty overrated. He couldn't sub George Roop and I feel he actually lost. In his last 9 fights he has sub'd 2 guys who are irrelevant. He certainly can sub Guida, but Guida can certainly keep this standing and go baboon on him.

Hioki like most Asian circuit fighters who come to the UFC is overrated. I think Guida will transition well to 145.

#8 ·
Taking him down would be the worst thing he could do, Guida is no where Hioki's level on the mat and after Hioki was robbed in his last fight I'm sure he's working on finishing guys.

#10 ·
Gudia takes a dominant decision here. But the question here is what the hell are they thinking with Jordon/Russow? I hope to hell that it is not on the main card because that will be one of the worst fights in a long time.

#12 ·
I would imagine Koch/Lamas will be the fourth fight.

Guida is a terribly boring fighter, and he's only exciting when he's getting beat up, and after his last performance I doubt they reward him with a spot on FOX. Plus Lamas beat Hioki even though it was a robbery and Koch was supposed to fight Aldo, granted because he was the only guy free to fight him but I would rather see MM/Dodson, Pettis/Cerrone, Rampage/Glover and Koch/Lamas over any other potential line up.

#13 ·
Guida is a popular fighter who has won more than his share of FOTN honors and a couple FOTY's, there is no way the UFC sticks him in an untelevised fight cause of one bad performance.

#14 ·
He's had two, and he also angered people in the Gomi fight.

Koch/Lamas is the better fight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.