MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Silva is attending UFC 154.

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ape City
It's a league game, Smokey

Ape City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
Luck isn't measured by how determined you are to make some thing happen, it's measured by how likely and how often you are able to do that one thing.

For example, I'm a terrible darts player. If I went into a darts game and my intention was to hit the bullseye with my first shot and I actually hit it, that would be considered an incredibly lucky shot. It doesn't matter if it was my intention to hit the bullseye and I hit it, what matters is the likely-hood of me hitting that bullseye consistently. The chances are very slim, because I'm rubbish.

Matt Serra KO'ing GSP could be considered an example of a lucky finish. Here's a guy with no proven real KO power who comes into the fight as a huge underdog and KO's George in the first round. Sure, he intended to KO George, but how often is he likely to pull that off? Not very likely at all.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Lucky KOs happen all the time. As other have said intention has very little to do with luck since you can intend to do something with extremely low probability and succeed.