MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Silva is attending UFC 154.

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
GrappleRetarded
Banned

GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
MMA is an unlikely sport. They are big well trained men who punch eachother with 4oz gloves. There is no exact science. Is Mir lucky to sub Nog because in most instances they would cancel eachother out? Or was he just better on that night and there was no luck involved?

It has something to do with practice. Does it not? I refuse to call something that men practice daily...as luck. It is their life. They drill it over and over and over again.

Matt Serra's finish is certainly more "lucky" than Anderson making Bonnar look foolish. But I wouldn't call it "luck". Silva is simply the better fighter and striker. Matt Serra wasn't trying to take GSP down that night. He was looking to catch him. And he did. he practiced how he would punch GSP in the face, GSP wilted, and he did it.

In a team match. Lets say basketball. The NBA. The Miami Heat should be way better than the Nets. They may be HUGE favorites. But if the Nets beat them that night is is considered "luck"? Why because they aren't the better team? They practice every day to outscore their opponents using offense and defense. It wouldn't be luck.
Yes MMA is a sport where "any thing can happen and any one can get knocked out" as they say, but just like any thing else in life, you can still measure luck in this sport and intention still hasn't got any thing to do with it.

Serra's finish was considered lucky for a number of reasons, and again, it doesn't matter if it was his intention to KO Georges'. I'm sure it was BJ's Alves', Koschecks etc intentions to KO Georges and I bet they practised for weeks on end too, but they couldn't do it.

Serra was never known for KO power leading up to the GSP fight, in fact he had zero KO's in his entire career before that GSP fight. Then you have to take into consideration how GSP has always been an impeccable defensive fighter. When you weigh every thing up, the chances of Serra KO'ing GSP like that are incredibly slim. Regardless of how badly he wanted to do it.

I agree that in this sport any thing can happen, but luck can still be measured, just to a lesser degree than in most other sports.

Last edited by GrappleRetarded : 11-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote