MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Silva is attending UFC 154.

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
Iuanes
Featherweight

Iuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A BallerIuanes Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Luck or chance: is fortune (whether bad or good) which occurs beyond one's control, without regard to one's will, intention, or desired result.

I would say Serra had control of his punches. And it wasn't beyond his control.
Thats one way to cherry pick a definition, where did you get it? firstly, from dictionary.com

1.the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I'll probably get pneumonia.
good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
a combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person: She's had nothing but bad luck all year.
some object on which good fortune is supposed to depend: This rabbit's foot is my luck

Secondly, even using your definition we can still arrive at luck beyond your intention. Using the Serra example you need to ask the question what was the main factor in his win? His own ability or the surrounding circumstances (ie GSP's carelessness, lack of focus)

If GSP is the overall better fighter, the fight will go beyond one's control and against one's own will. Regardless of whether you think GSP is the vastly superior fighter, the categorization remains the revelant point.

In a fight, 2 forces go against each other, the stronger force becomes the circumstance or fortune that imposes itself on the other actor. When we say someone got lucky, we say it precisely because they were up against a force, which should have, negated their will.
Iuanes is offline   Reply With Quote