Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who is a fighter that if they improved one skill could be an elite fighter?

6K views 63 replies 38 participants last post by  the ultimate 
#1 ·
Saw this question elsewhere and was curious on your thoughts?

Guillard can use some damn BJJ defense and he'd certainly fare better. Same with Stann if he can get some decent wrestling in.

#4 ·
I'll go with the big five divisions

If Joe Lauzon were more durable, and had better defensive game he could very well be a LW champion. I actually think that he's like Shogun where I can see him beating everyone in the top ten but also losing to everyone in the top ten.

Another guy is Jake Ellenberger, if he had better top control and/or cardio he could be elite. Really if he drops down to 155 and loses his excess muscle I think he could win the belt.

If Michael Bisping learned BJJ and used it he could be undefeated at this point. I think a big reason he'll never be champion is his game is so limited and predictable.

Phil Davis needs to learn boxing badly as he has all the other tools to be successful.

Roy Nelson's biggest issue is that he's so slow. He has great cardio but his handspeed, footwork, and wrestling would all need work.

#16 ·
I'll go with the big five divisions

If Joe Lauzon were more durable, and had better defensive game he could very well be a LW champion. I actually think that he's like Shogun where I can see him beating everyone in the top ten but also losing to everyone in the top ten.

Another guy is Jake Ellenberger, if he had better top control and/or cardio he could be elite. Really if he drops down to 155 and loses his excess muscle I think he could win the belt.

If Michael Bisping learned BJJ and used it he could be undefeated at this point. I think a big reason he'll never be champion is his game is so limited and predictable.

Phil Davis needs to learn boxing badly as he has all the other tools to be successful.

Roy Nelson's biggest issue is that he's so slow. He has great cardio but his handspeed, footwork, and wrestling would all need work.
You know what else he'd be at 155? Dead.

#5 ·
Frank Mir - wrestling
Shane Carwin - striking (Hits hard but isn't technically good)
Chael Sonnen - BJJ
Demian Maia - striking
Jon Fitch - striking
Erik Silva - wrestling
Clay Guida - striking

#8 ·
It's true, but cardio isn't really a skill. It's more about genetics, training, and will power. He's never really had issues with conditioning at 155. His best performance was against Diego Sanchez for all five rounds and we all know he's a cardio freak. At 170lbs he gasses out badly.

Maia is definitely a good one, but I'll go with Phil Davis. If Phil's striking was above average he could challenge the throne. Unfortunately I do not believe he possesses the necessary skills to do so not even in another three to five years. By then there will be new upcoming fighters with more complete skill sets entering the organization.

Oh Brock...I don't think there will ever be a rookie that can do what he did. He was able to overcome the experience disparity by sheer RAW POWER. I still do not consider him a true MMA fighter, but he beat some pretty solid fighters with a ton of experience under their belts; Mir, Herring, Randy, and Carwin. In fact if Brock mastered only one (BJJ or striking) he could have been quite formidable. He already was with his grappling and rudimentary striking. An anomaly.

#12 ·
Phil Davis are like the perfect example.

He got really good wrestling and poor standup. Another thing people seem to have missed with him is that he got a Reach of 79 in (201cm) which I think it the second best Reach in LHW. Gustafsson only got 196cm for comparision.

So if he could just improve his standup he could become really good.

#17 ·
With Fabricio Werdum's improved striking and clinch game if he developed a strong wrestling game the guy would be unstoppable.

#28 ·
The more I think about it, Nick Diaz and wrestling has got to be one of the best. I don't like the guy... but he would essentially be a better version of GSP.

Great striking, great chin, great ground game, incredible heart, and the ability to dictate where he wants the fight to go. Don't forget the killer instinct he already has. He wouldn't get "layed" on for anymore losses because he would have the wrestling to stop the TD.

#31 ·
may get flamed for this but I think Chale could be one of the greatest if he gained some power in his hands. his a grinder but if he could have the power to ko someone once he hits the ground. for example he hit silva a record number of times in their first fight and still couldn't ko him.

#33 ·
Give Spong some take down defense or defensive wrestling skills and he would be a major, major threat to everyone in MMA.

Give Jussier Da Silva some take downs and offensive wrestling and he would be nearly impossible to beat.

Same thing for Werdum, give him some offensive wrestling and he would be tough to beat.

Mark Hunt would be one tough bastard if he had defensive wrestling.

If Phil Davis had some kickboxing or just about any striking ability he would be amazing.

If you could give GSP more aggression or tenacity then he would be the best fighter ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.