Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Ronda Rousey officially joins the UFC - SF closing in January.

10K views 114 replies 39 participants last post by  SideWays222 
#1 ·

Ronda Rousey just made MMA history ... becoming the very first female fighter to join the UFC ... TMZ has learned.

Rousey -- a former U.S. Olympian -- has officially joined Dana White's MMA organization ... and automatically becomes the 135 lb women's champion.

We're told 25-year-old Ronda will defend her title in 2013 -- possible opponents include Sara McMann, Cris Cyborg and rival Miesha Tate.

Rousey has been fighting in Strikeforce since last year and emerged as a superstar ... beating the living crap out of just about everybody she's faced. In fact, she's undefeated.

And there's more ... sources say Strikeforce, which airs on Showtime, will be running its last event in January before folding up shop for good.

A rep for Strikeforce had no comment.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/08/ronda-rousey-female-fighter-ufc-fighter/#ixzz2BgU5J4gP
http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/08/ronda-rousey-female-fighter-ufc-fighter/

Great move if true, Women in the UFC is huge.

See less See more
#52 ·
Word of advice Dana White and the Feritto's - Do not be tempted by the machine. Nobody really cares for MMA'S women, especially people in my country. I am a MAN, and a real man would not want to see a woman harm herself in public like this! It is no different to the teenagers in america who self harm, I do not like it and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Why can't women just leave the one thing we do extremely well to ourselves??? I am for women's rights but this is too much.

#53 ·
I am a MAN, and a real man would not want to see a woman harm herself in public like this! It is no different to the teenagers in america who self harm, I do not like it and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Why can't women just leave the one thing we do extremely well to ourselves??? I am for women's rights but this is too much.
I think anyone who needs to scream "I am a man", is really a boy wanting to be a man. And, as a REAL man, I feel so sorry for you that women are taking away the last bit of esteem you have for yourself. Poor you real man. Poor poor real man.

#58 ·
I want to elaborate on my opinion of women in the UFC. A lot of you seem to enjoy watching WMMA, and that's completely fine. I respect other's tastes, although I personally don't enjoy watching WMMA (as is my right to my own taste). I fully support women in pursuing their passion, and I realize that they are dedicated and hard-working in the sport just as men are.
Having said that, it is a poor business decision to include women in the UFC simply because it is not marketable and therefore not profitable. I know it's hard for most of you to believe because you live in this MMAForum bubble where UFC is one of the most important things in life and MMA is clearly the best sport, but the reality is that the majority of people in America still don't even know what MMA is.
Many people still perceive MMA as barbaric human cockfighting, and despite what we may wish the UFC is NOT mainstream yet on the level of the Big Four sports in the U.S. For a lot of people, including myself, watching two females hurt each other and get bloody is simply unappealing. Agree or not, that's just the way it is and there is no logic that can make us feel otherwise.

Furthermore, some people are selling this sort or idea that "who wouldn't want to watch two women rolling around in shorts?" First of all, comments like this are sexist in the very same sense that its proponents seem to denounce. Second of all, most female fighters that I have seen are ugly, period (some exceptions). Third, there is nothing sexual involved in fighting and watching women get beaten, unless you are some sort of sadist. On the contrary, this is repulsive and quite the opposite of what guys want to see.

Finally, a giant segment of the UFC fanbase consists of conservative, traditional, military types that will never accept women's MMA in that it is simply not traditional. Right or wrong, it's bad for business. Dana White will regret this.

#60 ·
I'd really like to add some rational, well made comments to support women fighting in the UFC, and women's MMA in general, because there are plenty to me made.

I'd like to but I can't, because I'll watch for no other reason than Ms. Rousey makes me go weak in the knees. Seriously. I will pay for each and every card she is on.

I would also like to apologise for being such a guy, but I won't... because I'm such a guy. Like most other guys. Which is what Dana and Zuffa are banking on, I'm sure.

Welcome to the UFC ladies. Please don't think less of me for admiring you for your guts and your hotness (especially you, Rhonda. *sigh*).

#71 ·
Wow! I'm amazed at some of the comments in this section. A few pages ago I had to stop reading the "copter" guys post simply because of how insanely stupid they were.

Here is a simple fact. If we as MMA fans want MMA to continue to grow, this is an inevitable step. There isn't a sport in the world that hasn't eventually crossed gender boundries, NOT ONE. This isn't 1920, women have every right to compete in this growing sport as any man.

Frankly, I find the fights very entertaining. The smartest thing the UFC could do in the next year would be a woman's version of TUF. To the victors would go the spoils but lets be honest, in the end, you could and would need to take just about all of them.

Also, if they're smart, which they are, they will continue to push fights like they did Tate and Rousey. These women are amazing athletes and sexy as hell, they would be fools not to use that to push their fights to a predominately male crowd. That's not a sexist statement, just fact, and these women are smart enough to know that, that's why they're doing half naked photo shoots all over the internet.

I say, good for them, and bring it on!! Women's TUF, now!!

#72 ·
I hate it when people like you get on their moral high horse and act like you're some progressive intellectual saint. Nobody is saying that WMMA should be illegal, we just don't want to be forced into paying $60 for a PPV that includes women fights that not everybody wants to see. No other sport, including boxing, puts women and men on the same card/event/league. Therefore, your comparison doesn't even hold up.

#73 ·
Okay here it is and the reality and alot of what I think people have forgotten and missed. Any womens sport becomes the hottest commodity for about 2 years then what happens? Womens Basketball? They make nothing compared to the men and their fan base is nothing compared to mens. Womens baseball......people seem to forget that it was brought back in the late 90's and is not around anymore. Womens Soccer....sky rocketed when Mia Hamm and the girls won the gold.....then went back into obscurity til Hope Solo popped up. Womens football.....yeah they have to put the girls in lingerie to get people to watch it. Its the latest fad and I hope its gone just as quick as it starts. All other womens sports are still more interesting to me than womens MMA. If they make a TUF season its going to be Cyborg or Tate, and Rousey. the whole cast will get a deal. I CANT WAIT FOR A WOMENS CO MAIN EVENT OR MAIN EVENT!!! Said no one ever. No way people rather watch a womens title fight over Ben Henderson, Aldo, Edgar, Guida, Maynard, or Diaz.

#74 ·
Real fight fans will watch it.

Fans of finishes won't, unfortunately, most MMA fans actually favor finishes over the actual competition. Same reason the 125'ers get no respect, many MMA fans aren't real fight fans, they just watch for finishes, not the actual competition. Boxing fans are 100 times better.

#77 ·
Jeez, I hate it when one claims that others are not a "real fight fan" just because they don't have the viewpoint. Why can't they understand that WMMA is not everyones' cup of tea?

For me, I would prefer that Strikeforce becomes a WMMA organisation. Build up the talent there, bring over some Invicta competitors or something. When the division is deep enough, integrate UFC and Strikeforce. I'm sure with more finishes and just a higher skill level in general, people would be more open to the idea of WMMA in UFC.

#78 ·
Because it goes farther than Women's MMA.

The 145 lb, 135 lb, and 125 lb fighters are the best athletes in MMA, they're the most technical, the most skilled, and the fastest fighters out there.

But most MMA fans don't care about skill or talent, they just care about who can knock who out or who can choke who out the fastest. I truly can't understand why people criticize over size or gender. All you need to do is look at the reaction to Condit/Diaz, they expect people to just go in and trade with wreckless abandon as opposed to use skill and a gameplan.

#82 ·
Watching Roflcopter post is a step above watching retards post.

And it's not a big step.

You know if it's against the rules to be racist here isn't it also against the rules to be sexist? If you're going to ban one 'ist it's not kosher to okay another.

#81 ·
I'm not a fan of women's MMA.

I'm not anti-women MMA and if Dana wants to put a female division into the UFC then that's fine with me, but I certainly won't be buying (streaming) any events with them headlining it unless there's some other fights that are interesting on the card, as I'm not a fan of them. I only know 3 female fighters, the roid hound, the hot chick who did some movies, and the armbar woman. The only reason I know of them is because they are popular enough where you can't really avoid knowing about them around an MMA forum.

#85 ·
It isn't about whether or not the lighter fighters could be heavyweights.

It's about relative athleticism. All divisions have it.

Jose Aldo is fantastic, he does crazy, mindboggling things in the cage when he gets in there. Same with guys like Anthony Pettis.

You see a woman's MMA fight and it LOOKS like a joke.

I saw Marloes Conenen, supposed to be this top tier pioneer of women's MMA, get taken down and mounted repeatedly by Carmouche who wasn't even training a full year and looked every bit of. She had no idea how to punch, and spent entire rounds punching Coenen from mount like you punch when you are 4 years old and don't even turn your fist over.

It was absolutely disgraceful, and these were "top 10" fighters.

There's some sort of disillusion that I must hate women because I'm not PC and don't delude myself into thinking that I'm watching high level mixed martial arts when they step into the cage. It's like watching a drunken bar fight 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent is watching Cyborg smash some poor girl's face open in 2 minutes or watching Ronda throw someone and armbar them.

#86 ·
There's some sort of disillusion that I must hate women because I'm not PC and don't delude myself into thinking that I'm watching high level mixed martial arts when they step into the cage. It's like watching a drunken bar fight 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent is watching Cyborg smash some poor girl's face open in 2 minutes or watching Ronda throw someone and armbar them.
You have no idea what the **** you are talking about. At all. Women are just as athletic as men. Not as strong maybe but just as athletic. And you obviously have only watched a handful of women's mma matches to think this kind of stupid misogynistic bullshit.

But we've had this conversation before haven't we, Roflcopter? How did it end last time? With your whole "science supports my sexism" stance completely debunked and you smacked down by mods for being a sexist asshole?

#88 ·
PGA Average Driving Distance - 290

LPGA Average Driving Distance - 250

MLB - 93 MPH fastballs

Softball - Underhand

NBA - 23'9

WNBA - 20'625.

They are now talking about lowering the rims to 10 feet so the women have a chance at dunking the ball. :laugh:

Olympic Sprint Medalists Men 100m - Sub 10 seconds
Olympic Sprint Medalists Women 100m - Sub 11 seconds

Olympic High Jump Men - 2.38
Olympic High Jump Women - 2.05

Yep, just as good.

Clearly. :laugh:

#91 ·
A gorilla could kill the best fighter on the planet. Does it make men's MMA not worth watching??

Where's your flexibility statistics? Agility statistics? Pain endurance statistics?

No one is saying women could beat men in fights, but that doesn't mean female fighting isn't interesting.

You totally ignored the argument that women's MMA is in its infancy. Put Megumi Fuji against a lot of the guys in UFC 1 you'd see some men tapping.

#89 ·
the talent just isnt there yet it womens mma. the number of girls who grow up wrestling and practicing a MA is definitely lower, so there are less people out there with solid backgrounds. It is just like the Hw div...less athletes that are also that big = smaller talent pool.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using VerticalSports.Com App

#90 ·
Lots of stats that don't take the variables into account. Smarmy, self deluded condescension. An intensely radiating fear that someone with a ***** might be as good as a man.

Yep it's a Roflcopter post alright.

All you have proven is that my continued belief that sexists are just as ignorant as any racist. And like racists their beliefs say a lot more about them than it does the world.

I'm done in this thread. You have fun making yourself look even more like a complete raving ****tard.

#97 ·
Roflcopter is right, I can't believe anybody is actually arguing that women are as athletic as men. That's like saying 2+2=5, it's just an obvious well-established scientific fact. If you think the only difference between a man and a woman is a penis then you don't know anything, there are tons of hormones and millions of years of evolution that have shaped women and men differently. I know you want to be PC and pretend you live in a fantasy world where women and men are the same thing (why do we even bother with 2 different words?), but you are ignoring reality.

#94 ·
You know your day got ruined when you start throwing around vague, unsupported theses like "BUT DA VARIABLES AREN'T CONSIDERED".

Women aren't more agile than men, on HS agility tests the national standard is 2 seconds lower for men then women.

Flexibility deteriorated rapidly with age in both genders, and such a thing isn't measured statistically.

It flexibility is the best you got in terms of athletic achievement then :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#102 ·
You know your day got ruined when you start throwing around vague, unsupported theses like "BUT DA VARIABLES AREN'T CONSIDERED".
Yeah because we know the strongest and fastest guy who can jump the highest always wins in MMA. This is the guy championing MMA skills on the one hand, while lampooning HWs on the other. Right, Jon Jones doesn't need to have raw athleticism because he's a smart fighter who knows how to use his body (see Stefan Struve). His best attribute is that he 'studies' just like Anderson Silva studies.

MMA is one of the sports where intelligence and technique overcome pure athleticism more so than most sports.

Women aren't more agile than men, on HS agility tests the national standard is 2 seconds lower for men then women.

Flexibility deteriorated rapidly with age in both genders, and such a thing isn't measured statistically.

It flexibility is the best you got in terms of athletic achievement then :laugh:
The point is exactly to show that you can't quantify everything and that men and women's physiology is different. I guarantee more women will be able to pull off rubber guard than men, this is one area where women's MMA could be different and go in a different direction, but it doesn't count because they don't have penises.

Megumi has arguably more relevant MMA skills than many of the fighters at UFC 1. By what you've said in this thread you value skill over size, so which is it?

Kimo would only beat Megumi based on size and power. So is he more deserving of being watched than her?

Are gorilla fights better to watch than human fights?

#101 ·
I see some folks here keep comparing apples to oranges to downplay the significance of women's mma going mainstream. While double posting to get their count up no less...

We get it, you like men more than women, it's ok guys. :thumb02:

For those of us that actually enjoy the ladies, we get to see more of them start emerging as strong role models for young women everywhere. That's terrific news!

Alas, some are still dissatisfied, so I'm gonna petition Dana White to hire me as the first UFC ring boy for when they fight, so you "men only in the octagon" boys will have something to look at. Happy now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.