MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Ronda Rousey officially joins the UFC - SF closing in January.

View Single Post

Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Dtwizzy2k5
Welterweight

Dtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level nowDtwizzy2k5 is on another level now
I want to elaborate on my opinion of women in the UFC. A lot of you seem to enjoy watching WMMA, and that's completely fine. I respect other's tastes, although I personally don't enjoy watching WMMA (as is my right to my own taste). I fully support women in pursuing their passion, and I realize that they are dedicated and hard-working in the sport just as men are.
Having said that, it is a poor business decision to include women in the UFC simply because it is not marketable and therefore not profitable. I know it's hard for most of you to believe because you live in this MMAForum bubble where UFC is one of the most important things in life and MMA is clearly the best sport, but the reality is that the majority of people in America still don't even know what MMA is.
Many people still perceive MMA as barbaric human cockfighting, and despite what we may wish the UFC is NOT mainstream yet on the level of the Big Four sports in the U.S. For a lot of people, including myself, watching two females hurt each other and get bloody is simply unappealing. Agree or not, that's just the way it is and there is no logic that can make us feel otherwise.

Furthermore, some people are selling this sort or idea that "who wouldn't want to watch two women rolling around in shorts?" First of all, comments like this are sexist in the very same sense that its proponents seem to denounce. Second of all, most female fighters that I have seen are ugly, period (some exceptions). Third, there is nothing sexual involved in fighting and watching women get beaten, unless you are some sort of sadist. On the contrary, this is repulsive and quite the opposite of what guys want to see.

Finally, a giant segment of the UFC fanbase consists of conservative, traditional, military types that will never accept women's MMA in that it is simply not traditional. Right or wrong, it's bad for business. Dana White will regret this.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote