MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit Thread

View Single Post

Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
TanyaJade
Middleweight

TanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF MaterialTanyaJade Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM33 View Post
I'm not labeling Condit as mentally weak, for me he showed weakness in that particular fight. Interim title, main event, dangerous opponent... and he was a different fighter, in many people's opinions not for the better. Diaz can be emotional, he frustrated Nick and got the win... just. Will he have the same dilemma entering an even bigger fight, will he risk his reputation again?

The point of most martial arts is to disable your attacker, the quicker the better, the more damaging the better. UFC stands for Ultimate Fighting Championship. Fighting is a contest, there is no purer sport. Sure there are rules, but those rules are there purely so you can't inflict too much damage when doing the disabling bit.

People have different philosophies on what makes a good fighter and what wins fights, Condit did not care if he didn't hurt Diaz all night he just wanted to look busy and make contact in the safest ways possible. I don't respect that.

Fighting, sport, contest, martial arts, whatever you want to call it. Before the fight, they all say how they want to and will, finish the fight. Only afterwards is a decision victory so acceptable, when they and their team know they tried their best. Unfortunately Condit looked like he trained to get the nod, not the finish. That's obviously fine with some people, but I've trained in several disciplines and his tactics were hard to watch for me.
I still don't understand your argument. Was Condit supposed to go balls to the wall against Diaz? A guy with an iron chin, relentless pace and cardio for days? That just seems primal and stupid. Instead Condit realized that he would be at a disadvantage and adjusted his style accordingly. I attribute that to mental strength, personally.

As for the rest of your post, I will respectfully acknowledge that we have extremely different views of martial arts and MMA in general. I am also a practitioner who holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and I have also trained various striking disciplines over the course of my life. Plus, two of my brothers are All-American wrestlers. And they're older than me. It's safe to say I learned a little bit of wrestling along the way

I train to be athletically fit and because I admire the philosophy of martial arts in the sense that St. Pierre does. Training to me is not about beating someone up, it's about growing as a person with every punch and kick you throw. If that's not for you, then that's fine.

Rich Franklin - Holly Holm - Carlos Condit - Andrei Arlovski
Credit to Spite for the sig!
TanyaJade is offline   Reply With Quote