Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP/Silva Superfight to Happen

13K views 142 replies 48 participants last post by  HitOrGetHit 
#1 ·
from sportsnet.ca

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/11/16/georges_st_pierre_anderson_silva_fight/

After months of speculation, UFC president Dana White confirmed Friday that Georges St-Pierre will fight Anderson Silva if he wins his bout against Carlos Condit Saturday at UFC 154 in Montreal.

The long-awaited super fight is scheduled for May with Toronto, Dallas or Brazil potential venues.

"This thing has been a hypothetical forver now," White told Showdown Joe Ferraro Friday night. "In no way has the UFC in any way shape or form overlooked Carlos Condit but now we're down to reality time here.

"Tomorrow night either Georges St-Pierre or Carlos Condit is going to win that fight. Anderson Silva will be sitting cage side and if he wins those two will fight in May at Dallas Texas Stadium, Toronto, or a soccer stadium in Brazil. It will happen."

Silva and St-Pierre are widely considered the top two pound-for-pound MMA fighters in the sport's history.

The 37-year-old Silva (32-4) has not lost in 15 fights in the UFC.

The 31-year-old St-Pierre (22-2) will return to the cage Saturday after missing a year due to a knee injury.

#3 ·
I have less interest in Silva/GSP than I do Condit/GSP.

And honestly, I find it rediculous for Dana White to even announce a night before GSP's return.

Why not wait until after the fight? Why put Condit down like this - unless it's just to pump him up...

And also - why not say who Silva will fight in GSP loses?

#4 ·
Need to do it in Dallas in a stadium that way neither guy will really have a "home cage" advantage. A soccer stadium in Brazil would be bad ass as well. But I would be hella happy if they put it in Toronto because I will be there for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

#6 ·
Well I would suggest Anderson wouldn't take the fight if GSP loses but, it's Anderson Silva, he's a bully looking to pick on a fighter coming off an injury that has altered the careers of many and not for the better, when he could go up and do a much more intriguing fight for the fans but he's too scared Bones will mark up his face.

If Georges does win, make him come to 170, don't give into that bully's demands. If he wants to pick on the little guy make him drain himself to the point he can't defend himself and teach him a lesson and expose him to the entire world.

#12 ·
By that Logic should Jon Jones fight Silva at 185:confused02: Same Size Difference Between Silva And Jones as their is Between Gsp and Silva...
Jones 6'4" 230lbs 84.5" reach
Silva 6'2 210lbs 78" reach
Gsp 5'11" 190lbs 77" Reach

Those are pretty fair #'s give or take a pound for each fighter.. Silva is alot smaller then he used to be(Bonnar fight, compared to Forrest fight).. Gsp may be as well too since he doesn't lift weights anymore....

#7 ·
Do Brazilians pay for PPV's?

I think for the biggest reach, it needs to be in Dallas Cowboy Stadium, as others have stated.

Cowboy Stadium

May 4- Open

May 11- Kenny Chesney

May 18 - Open

May 25 - Taylor Swift (and typically the memorial day weekend show in Vegas)

So what better weekend than May 4 (Cinco De Mayo) in Texas! book it before boxing does, they usually have a big PPV, I doubt they would try and compete with Silva/GSP.

Pack on a great PPV card and people will flock!

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/events/index.cfm?action=month&month=5&year=2013

Rogers Center (SkyDome) Toronto

May 4 - (Blue Jays day 5 of a 6 game home-stand)

May 11- Open

May 18 - Open

May 25 - Blue Jays (day 6 of a 9 game home-stand)

http://events.rogerscentre.com/

It's been done, people will probably attend cause of GSP and being a stadium show, but Jon "The Future" Jones has failed twice to bring the hype to Toronto

#9 ·
Do Brazilians pay for PPV's?

I think for the biggest reach, it needs to be in Dallas Cowboy Stadium, as others have stated.

Cowboy Stadium

May 4- Open

May 11- Kenny Chesney

May 18 - Open

May 25 - Taylor Swift (and typically the memorial day weekend show in Vegas)

So what better weekend than May 4 (Cinco De Mayo) in Texas! book it before boxing does, they usually have a big PPV, I doubt they would try and compete with Silva/GSP.

Pack on a great PPV card and people will flock!

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/events/index.cfm?action=month&month=5&year=2013

Rogers Center (SkyDome) Toronto

May 4 - (Blue Jays day 5 of a 6 game home-stand)

May 11- Open

May 18 - Open

May 25 - Blue Jays (day 6 of a 9 game home-stand)

http://events.rogerscentre.com/

It's been done, people will probably attend cause of GSP and being a stadium show, but Jon "The Future" Jones has failed twice to bring the hype to Toronto
If Floyd wants to fight on Cinco De Mayo, then damnit to hell Boxing GREATNESS will fight on Cinco De Mayo and we will all watch, in astonishment.

Especially if it's against Pacquiao, either way, Silva/GSP, Pacquiao/Mayweather we all know what the result will be, except one guy actually would beat someone his own size.

#8 ·
Geez what an announcement the day before the show. As if he doesn't have enough going on already.

Anderson and Maia fight somehow derailed this years ago already. Only 24 hours to go!

#30 ·
Until I hear GSP say he'll do it I don't buy it. He would probably lose and might get clowned on, and that is very bad for his image, which he puts above everything else.
He does seem a little aprehensive when it comes to this superfight. To be honest, I just don't think he wants to focus on anything else right now other than the Condit fight. When he wins and Anderson enters the cage to challenge him, I'm sure with all his adrenaline going, GSP will accept the fight.

#25 ·
Man i dont like when Dana does this. GSP has said numerous times that he does not want that fight. It is one thing trying to push someone in to a fight in his own weight class if he is resistant. Its completely different when the guy has his own path for his career and it is competing at 170 not going up to face the p4p best fighter. You dont try and force that on someone unless both guys want it. And in that case it wouldnt be forced.

#26 ·
I think GSP's hesitation had more to do with moving up to 185 and being able to pack on enough muscle to not be at a strength disadvantage. No point fighting the "BJ Penn 185" with a paunch.

What they've been bandying about lately though is a catchweight fight at 180 or 178, and that I think would keep things more fair. Silva would either have to lose some muscle, or come in much more drained from a major weight cut, giving GSP an advantage in spite of his relative smaller size.

I think GSP would be more open to that, based on what he's said. He's always given bulking up as the main reason.

#37 · (Edited)
Lets see if Jones will be able to maintain 205 when he is above 35 years old. Anderson used to be as skinny as Condit, but most of casual fans(not referring to you) will forget or never knew how he skinny was before.

Now, to make weight is an special gift+dedication, but haters will still use that against Anderson, who came from 170, stablished at 185 and even at 38 can go up to 205 and back never failing the scale. Anyway, it's not like he is bulking muscles to make 205. GSP is a way more muscular individual than Anderson.

Now if he fools another MW contender, ppl complain. Now if he faces GSP, ppl complain. Geez...

#38 ·
I hope Dana is wearing Diapers come fight night on Saturday. Someone should zoom in on Dana's face if GSP wins. You'll see the look of a man just jizzing all over his pants at the thought of all the mad $$$$$$$ he'll rake over this super fight. Never mind if it's a good fight, or that AS is too big for GSP. This will be the MMA fight of our generation, our Ali vs Frazier. Boxing has yet to showcase Mayweather vs Pacman but if this super fight were to happen a lot of new casual fans would jump on the bandwagon. Making the sport maybe a bit more palatable to those who find it barbaric.

#45 · (Edited)
I hope Dana is wearing Diapers come fight night on Saturday. Someone should zoom in on Dana's face if GSP wins. You'll see the look of a man just jizzing all over his pants at the thought of all the mad $$$$$$$ he'll rake over this super fight. Never mind if it's a good fight, or that AS is too big for GSP. This will be the MMA fight of our generation, our Ali vs Frazier. Boxing has yet to showcase Mayweather vs Pacman but if this super fight were to happen a lot of new casual fans would jump on the bandwagon. Making the sport maybe a bit more palatable to those who find it barbaric.
Actually that would be Silva vs. Bones, I tell you Silva is a miss-match for GSP, it would suck to see every1 get hyped up so much for a quick 1st round thrashing, Jones/Silva would at least be a good fight.....

Better yet, even as a GSP fan I hope Condit pulls off the upset tonight, but we will probably see GSP take him down and control him for 5 rounds and get the UD. I as a GSP fan am tired of the same oh song, I honestly want to see GSP finish him, or get finished himself.....

#39 ·
Should be in the biggest venue in the U.S.

Cowboys Stadium would be awesome and is my pick.

Too bad NY isn't open for business. This fight at the Garden? That would be badass.

Then again, Toronto would be cool because I am fairly close to Toronto, and I could possibly go and not even have to stay the night.

#47 · (Edited)
fightfan76 said:
Actually that would be Silva vs. Bones, I tell you Silva is a miss-match for GSP, it would suck to see every1 get hyped up so much for a quick 1st round thrashing, Jones/Silva would at least be a good fight.....
I predict that if Silva ends up thrashing GSP in the first round he will start to lay off and revert to his style of letting the other fighter push the pace. He's done this on numerous occasions (Maia, Griffin, etc) and prefers the counter-punching style. I think one of the worst outcomes to happen would be for Dana to bill this as the best two fighters ever, and then it ends like the first UFC on Fox event. If people don't already think Dana is full of shit, that would be the icing on the cake.

fightfan76 said:
Better yet, even as a GSP fan I hope Condit pulls off the upset tonight, but we will probably see GSP take him down and control him for 5 rounds and get the UD. I as a GSP fan am tired of the same oh song, I honestly want to see GSP finish him, or get finished himself.....
GSP has either been injured (He fought Shields with 1 eye for half the fight due to Shields eyepoking him all night long, and he fought Alves with an injured groin) or he's left his opponent much worse for wear than himself and nearly finished them (Koscheck, Hardy, Fitch).

He's put everything into his last 5-6 fights, he just had an unlucky set of cards if you ask me.

#49 · (Edited)
I predict that if Silva ends up thrashing GSP in the first round he will start to lay off and revert to his style of letting the other fighter push the pace. He's done this on numerous occasions (Maia, Griffin, etc) and prefers the counter-punching style. I think one of the worst outcomes to happen would be for Dana to bill this as the best two fighters ever, and then it ends like the first UFC on Fox event. If people don't already think Dana is full of shit, that would be the icing on the cake.

GSP has either been injured (He fought Shields with 1 eye for half the fight due to Shields eyepoking him all night long, and he fought Alves with an injured groin) or he's left his opponent much worse for wear than himself and nearly finished them (Koscheck, Hardy, Fitch).

He's put everything into his last 5-6 fights, he just had an unlucky set of cards if you ask me.
I already said GSP is my fav fighter, having said that, I make no excuses for any1 including GSP, whether what you say is true or not, he is a fighter and has not finished anyone in long time. I am ready for the WW division to be shaken up a bit even if that means GSP losing, although I would rather see him get the finish. Thats crazy, a GSP finish would shake up the division IMO.....lol

#53 ·
It would be ironic and sort of funny.

But I am afraid of this, because any GSP fan will use the knee as an excuse. Or say well he had pressure of looking ahead to Anderson...pressure that he shouldn't of had to deal with.

Same reason I am afraid of the Anderson fight. Anderson will dog him, but there are built in excuses of he isn't as big. Which no doubt would be said should Anderson win. Even if Anderson KO's him with a knee on his first shot in. People would still somehow correlate it with the size difference.

It is a lose/lose for Condit and Anderson in those fights.

#52 ·
evzbc said:
I'm sticking to the first things I said.... it's supply and demand.

GSP has WAY more fans than JBJ. And while you and I both know that Jonathan vs Anderson is the fight that SHOULD happen, GSP vs Anderson will sell more. And let's be realistic, it's still a SICK fight.
Well at least we can agree that Silva / Jones is the fight that should happen.

Silva/GSP will sell more, and if it's done in Toronto, Dana can get away with ridiculous ticket prices as well. If you look at the official numbers from the Rogers Centre show, the total gate was 12,075,000 USD with an attendance of 55,724 (average price of 216.69 USD).

A Silva/JBJ fight would likely take place in Brazil, and looking at Silva/Sonnen 2 numbers, the average ticket price was around 150-155 USD.

The obvious money is also in the PPV buy rates. Events with GSP are typically close to 1 million buys, with Silva and Jones around 400 or 500 thousand.

evzbc said:
Jons is also tied up with Chael Sonnen. So if you feel strongly that Anderson shouldn't fight GSP, I wonder how you feel about Sonnen vs Bones... :)
Don't even get me going - that fight shouldn't even count towards Bones win record / title defenses. I might as well get in the cage with him...

#54 ·
You're generalizing. If Condit wins, then he wins. Plain and simple. We'd be foolish to ignore factors such as ring rust if they're blatantly apparent, but I expect ring rust to be a non-issue. If Carlos wins, it's more likely to be because he's a damn good fighter in his own right.

As for the size difference between GSP and Silva, turnabout is fair play. One of GSP's most dominant performances came against BJ Penn, and to this day, many people claim, 'Well, he only beat up on a lightweight'. That road, much as I dislike it, goes both ways. But again, that would be a factor I'd completely ignore unless it were blatantly obvious. There's a difference between Anderson KOing GSP in ten seconds and outmuscling him (and let's be honest... if he can hold off much bigger men like Chael and Bonnar, he can probably do it to GSP).

I don't see this as being too big a deal regardless. If Silva stomps GSP, most fans will see it as his being the better fighter. You're associating a handful of GSP fans with the lot of us, and to be fair... every fan base has its 'go to' excuses and defence mechanisms. Let us not pretend that this isn't especially true of Silva fans.

#55 ·
I was generalizing. I should have said many of his fans.

GSP is the most calculated guy in the sport. He says and thinks his knee is 100%. So if he gets in the cage tonight, he is ready.

Most all fighters and trainers don't believe in ring rust. So not sure how people can use it. Condit hasn't fought since February? Not as long as GSP...but what about his ring rust?

I don;t hear a lot of people say "oh Penn was small". GSP gets tons of credit for that win. I use that fight as an example when people say Anderson is picking on a smaller...because between Sherk, Serra, and Penn GSP has made a name off smaller fighters. Maybe I haven't talked to the right people, but people gave him a lot of credit for dominating Penn after Penn beat him up in the first fight.

What exactly would he out muscle him by? May come into play on defending TDs. But Anderson isn't going to Couture him against the cage or look to take him down and hold him. If GSP fans want to get all giddy over him taking one of the best wrestlers in all of MMA...who competes at 205 down in practice...then what is the problem?

I'm associating the 10-20 posters here that already are crying about size. And then the ones that think GSP will win now...but will then join that group when GSP loses. There is a big % who thinks it is very fair. But also a good % that doesn't. No doubt in my mind...because there has already been so many threads on it...that after the fight there would be thread after thread complaining about the size and then telling us Anderson is a chicken and why doesn't he go fight Bones. Which he might do eventually. Can't fight GSP, Weidman, and Bones all at the same time..

#57 ·
Most all fighters and trainers don't believe in ring rust.
I have never spoken to a single fighter or trainer in my nearly 23 years of training who did not believe in ring rust because it's a very real thing. There are entire training regimens based around eliminating ring rust. Trainers and fighters give seminars on how to mitigate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.