Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Am I in good shape for my age?

7K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Liddellianenko 
#1 ·
I literally joined five minutes ago so excuse me if i'm not posting in the right forum,

I'm seventeen and 5,10
I weigh 170 Pounds.

I Curl roughly 35 pounds( 20 reps x 3 sets )(Each arm)
I bench about 180 pounds? I do about 2 sets of ten but when I hit my tenth one is when I literally give it all I got as my arms are starting to shake and give out.

Building muscle or toning I know the differences and what not but my main point is am I in good shape?

I can run about 5k Hard without stopping, I guess vomiting abit when you're finished is natural for pushing yourself,

I got the school record for 85 pushups in a minute and 110 crunches in a minute, My legs i can hold a good fair weight on them too, leg press i can do about 190?

I'm not joking or bragging, Serious question, am I doing good for my age/height/weight!?! Let me know!

See less See more
#2 ·
There are alot of aspects to being in shape and alot of it depends on what you are trying to do. As far as being in shape in general goes, check this out:

1. Your bench press is above average. I'd say the average person can't bench their bodyweight but that usually means people that don't work out regularly so who knows.

2. Your run is good. Alot of people can't even run a quarter mile without damn near having a heart attack.

3. The other weights (just like bench but it's the only one I know stats for) is moreso "weight room strength."

Are you in shape for the average guy? Yeah, I'd say above average. Are you in shape for a fighter? Probably about the level of any amateur or newly pro fighter who trains full time but not at the level of an elite fighter.

Just being honest. I can't do 85 pushups in a minute though. I can do probably more in the 40-50 range but I'm also a heavyweight haha. Keep up the good work!

#3 · (Edited)
Not to be a douche but 85 pushups in a minute is just stupid, I couldn't see anyone doing 85 good pushups like that. I'm assuming you normally do solid pushups, so nothing held against you it just seems like a horrible way for your school to measure.
I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard if you can bench your body weight 10 times without much difficulty that you're about average for you're size, I don't do weight training(I really should) but it seems like you're doing pretty good.

By chance how long before a run do you eat / how much water do you drink while running.As far as being athletic goes puking after a 5k is pretty bad but if you exercise often I think the issue might be that you don't drink enough before you run so your too dehydrated during the run leading you to drink too much during it.
If you don't already start more drinking water the night before you run until about an hour before and only sip on the water during the run.

#4 ·
I do agree, how have you done that many press ups within a minute. Your body been in shape and your body in a good routine are completely different but you sound as if your in full control so keep it up. Nice to see a young lad taking care of himself

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

#8 ·
Hey OP can you REGULATE and bust rhymes to THIS DJ.

Oh 85 pushups is great I did about 72 in a minute. So I'd say you're average. You can do 100.

#9 ·
82 press ups in a min is very good. That is not easy. I would be able to do just 50, but then I weigh 85 kilos.

For 17 year old, your very good shape. I'm mostly impressed with your running record. I would stop curling and do pull up variations though. Your arms mean nothing when it comes to strength unless it's grip. STOP CURLING NOW. Also do lots of leg kettlebell work like swings and goblet squats. They make you strong. Do not listen to people on here trying to put you down, you are a strong young man and it takes courage to ask people on the internet about how well you are doing.

#11 ·
I have never really lifted any weights, but I ride a bicycle daily (my old bike's wheel bearing was broken so the rear tire was permanently touching the brakes) and I train Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA. I should get on a leg press machine to see what I can do, but at my old job (Kelloggs factory) I put my back against the wall and pushed a 600kg crate full of cereal with absolute ease. Obviously I can't lift 600kgs with my legs but I think they are very strong. I also used to do 200 hindu squats per day, I don't anymore because i'm in Thailand and the training is very hard on the body as is.

#13 ·
I would say the complete opposite.

You can train your legs with cycling, running etc etc. You will put muscle on. You would struggle to put on much size in your upper body without weights IMO.

Cycling is one of the best things you can do to build your legs.

#14 ·
Proud German i've never lifted weights in my life but I guarantee you'd feel the thunder from my low kicks, gotta be doing something right ;)

Have you ever tried riding a bicycle uphill with 1/2 of the brakes on, while on a deadline to get to work? It's like a sweat shower. I'm so lucky I don't have bad b.o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.