Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC allowed to promote Alistair Overeem fight despite suspension, but not Nick Diaz

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  DanTheJu 
#1 ·
It seems that Alistair Overeem's extra effort with the Nevada State Athletic Commission has earned him some brownie points, while Nick Diaz isn't getting the same treatment. Both fighters are currently suspended by the commission - Overeem for a positive test for elevated testosterone, Diaz for elevated marijuana metabolites (his second offense in the state). Despite the suspensions, the UFC has been granted permission from NSAC to promote Overeem's bout with Antonio Silva in February at UFC 156. Dana White confirmed that at the UFC 154 post-fight press conference last night, but with a caveat:

"We asked the commission, can we start setting up a fight for him, but he’s still got to go before the commission.".

"I think Alistair has been doing the right thing as far as the commission is concerned and doing all the things that he needs to do to get back in their good graces. It’s looking positive and optimistic because he’s been doing what he’s supposed to do."

Basically, that means that neither side sees much of an issue with Overeem being re-licensed. So if they can do it for Overeem, would it work the same way with Diaz? Dana's answer was pretty blunt:

"Nope."

He didn't elaborate on whether they had even approached the commission in regards to a possible Diaz bout or not, but either way, it looks like Diaz's war with the commission will continue until his suspension is up on February 4th.
Wonder why this is. Is it because Diaz is a repeat offender? I'd think it would be exact opposite to be honest. Diaz obviously was suspended for something (while still not allowed) to gain a performance enhancement.

Or maybe they just want to start promoting Overeem now as they know a title fight is almost a sure thing when he's able to start fighting again.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/...ir-overeem-nick-diaz-suspension-nsac-mma-news

#2 ·
Diaz really ****ed himself over.

I'm not a pot guy, never smoked it, never will and I do like Overeem, don't think he beats dos Santos but what he did was way worse, even if Nick is a two time offender steroids is way worse than some plant.

But Overeem fell in line, he did what they wanted him to do, Nick tried to appeal and then he tried to sue them so now he just needs to hope that he isn't in a similar situation as Chael in early 2011 when it looked like he might have to retire because the athletic commission is dicking him over.

#9 ·
He does if he wants to make money in MMA.

Dana is a promoter, Dana promotes fights.

#4 ·
I'm prob a little bias. I smoked pretty heavily for 8 years of my life. Did a year in prison with another 5 years suspended for it. I always hate to see penalties for smokers and I'll admit my hardcore pothead days is what drew me to Diaz in the first place.

But rules are rules, regardless of my opinion on the plant, legal or sport wise, it is a banned substance.

Though I didn't know Diaz went that far as to try and sue them over it. I agree with you he should just fell in line like Overeem did and bite the bullet on that.

On a side note, love your new avatar!

#11 ·
Corruption in it's ugliest form. Alistair Overeem tests positive for sea-biscuit levels of testosterone, but plays the game, cooperates and acts nice with the athletic commission so they do him a favour.

Nick tries to sue these sly old gits at the commission for their BS so they make an example out of him.

What a crooked dastardly bunch of old codgers. They make me feel sick.

#12 ·
Corruption in it's ugliest form. Alistair Overeem tests positive for sea-biscuit levels of testosterone, but plays the game, cooperates and acts nice with the athletic commission so they do him a favor.

Nick tries to sue these sly old gits at the commission for their BS so they make an example out of him.

What a crooked dastardly bunch of old codgers. They make me feel sick.
So, one guy gets caught breaking the rules once and makes amends for it. Cooperates with what is required to get back in the ring, and does all that he is supposed to do to get his job back.

The second guy, gets caught a second time breaking the same rule. Fights the commission tooth and nail, even attempts to sue them. Does nothing that will help him get his licence back, even attempts to compete in another non-sanctioned combat sport (very frowned upon when suspended from an athletic commission) but flakes out and doesn't show up.

Now the second guy is the one in the right and the commission is in the wrong? He broke the rules and basically put his middle finger in the air and told the commission to suck it! Well, guess what? He will have to wait until his suspension is up, then attempt to get his licence back then. Not before! He has shown no signs of wanted to get his licence back, nor has he worked with the commission to do so.

On the other hand Overeem has shown that he wants to get back in the ring, and seems like he is taking out of competition drug tests and doing all that is needed.

I say good for them!

#14 ·
Nick Diaz has always proven to be a complete idiot. The man shot himself in the foot so many times and never learns from his mistakes. He is only a victim of his own stupidity and is now reaping the benefits.

#15 ·
This way he can have PR while not having to do PR.
Plus I can't blame Diaz for not wanting to eat their shit. One could say he's an idiot for it, personally I admire the guy for not playing the game the way everyone wants him to play it. The comissions are full of shit, everybody knows is, nobody is doing anything. Everyone is just eating the next bowl of shit and saying "Oh, man, this tastes good!". I completely understand how the dealings of the athletic comissions can turn somebody against them.

And it would be terribly boring if he crawled back to them and nicely asked for a license.

#19 ·
weed can be performance enhancing if it calms you down and helps you focus.

people should be able to fight drunk, that would be great. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.