MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Rashad is confident GSP defeats Anderson Silva.

View Single Post

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
GrappleRetarded
Banned

GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
You are right Maia wouldn't toss GSP around like that. But you have to ask why he was able to do that when Chael is a real good wrestler none the less?

My reason is because Chael isn't going for a TD or going forward. He was afraid to to death to be on the ground. So weakly clinched. He probably thought Maia was going to pull guard. That TD is more or less a matter of Chael not being ready for it and sucking so bad on the ground.

GSP would never get tossed like that because in a clinch he would be dropping down for a TD. He isn't as afraid. Who knows though, in that same scenario perahps GSP would get tossed. He hasn't fought a guy like Maia was back then...a guy looking for subs and one of the best at doing it from his back and all areas. BJ was a top guy. Shields was a top guy and more a position wrestler/BJJ. Condit was never going to pull guard or do anything too nuts. When you are in the clinch as a wrestler and are hesitant to use your bread and butter for fear of the ground...you tend to get owned.

1 time getting taken down like that vs. an odd fighter like Maia shouldn't automatically mean he isn't an elite wrestler.

I didn't say he wasn't an elite wrestler - he is - I said that there is no way he is the very best wrestler in the game.

Not just that take down alone, but I also referenced the Michael Bisping fight, where for the majority of the fight Bisping was actually pressing Chael up against the fence and controlling him there. You think GSP would allow that? GSP would take a guy like Michael Bisping down at will and hold him there.

Not only that, but the statistics also don't work in Chaels favour. Sonnen has a 59 percent take down success rate and a 71 percent defense rate. In comparison to GSP who completes 78 percent of his take downs and has an 88 percent take down defense percentage. Quite a significant difference there. Official UFC statistics:
http://uk.ufc.com/fighter/chael-Sonnen
http://uk.ufc.com/fighter/georges-St-Pierre

The best MMA wrestlers in the game are GSP and Jon Jones. Whilst Chael Sonnen is certainly an elite wrestler, he's not even close to being the very best, there's a big difference. He's probably top five though.

Last edited by GrappleRetarded : 11-21-2012 at 11:42 AM.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote