Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Thiago Silva suspended, again, busted for pot

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  AlanS 
#1 ·
GrappleRetarded ain't gon' be happy about this.

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®, released a statement today regarding UFC® light heavyweight Thiago Silva:

“Thiago Silva tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his bout at UFC on FUEL TV in Macau. The UFC organization has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents. Silva has admitted to taking the banned substance and has agreed to participate in an approved drug-rehabilitation program and serve a six-month suspension retroactive to the November 10 event. He must pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to fight again.”
http://www.ufc.com/news/Zuffa-Statement-on-Thiago-Silva

I thought he was awful happy for some reason....

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Stop suspending people for pot. It is so irrelevant it makes my brain cry out in pain. I thought the ridiculous notion that the recreational use of marijuana while competing in a sport would have resolved itself by now.

It was at least 10 years when that Canadian snowboarder tested positive for metabolites and was almost stripped of his gold medal. Thankfully they made the right decision and let him keep it; they recognized that smoking pot on friday night has nothing to do with training monday morning. Can't believe people are still being punished so harshly for using one of the safest recreational drugs known to man.

#8 · (Edited)
Ross Rebagliati.

The Post reported Alexandra Rebagliati, who's divorcing Ross after seven years of marriage, alleges he was violating a court order not to use illegal drugs while caring for their son. She claims the boy came home mimicking Rebagliati holding a joint and saying "Look, Mommy, I smoking."

Rebagliati, 40, smokes pot daily, she claimed, and tests done on the child's hair at a private clinic found "cannabinoids."
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/snowboard-champ-ross-rebagliati-child-custody-fight-over-181758938.html

That guy's probably a bad example...

#12 ·
The pot rule might be pretty stupid, but seriously, Thiago Silva is a moron. His last legitimate win came in 2009, against Jardine, and since then he's looked distinctly unimpressive, been handled by Rashad and Gustaf, and has wins but poor performances against Nedkov and Vera, he's done. Feed him to the loser of Shogun-Glover or maybe Mousasi, let him get mauled and send him on his way.

#14 ·
This is complete BS...the tests the athletic comissions do arent even accurate, they simply detect if the person smoked pot but from a urine sample you cant get an exact date, shit he could have smoked a joint almost a month before the fight and it could show up...thats ridiculous

I think until they can determine a better timeline of when someone smoked (like narrow it down to a few days) then these tests dont matter at all

#18 ·
Point is he shouldn't have been doing it at all. If he is stupid enough to smoke weed, whether it be a month or not, knowing the athletic commission will test him for it then he deserves to get his dumb ass suspended.

#17 ·
It's just metabolites again for ****s sake.

6 months RETROACTIVE? Who cares?? He's still training with the same guys in the meantime. Do any of you know what a metabolite is?

It's not like he was high near fight night. He was using it for training like most fighters do, and in my opinion it's well worth the risk.

There are just so many fighters these days.. if no one announced this no one would have noticed in the first place!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.