Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory MacDonald workout routine? He's really strong

14K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Killz 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had an idea of Rory MacDonald's workout rountine? I ask because he is really strong. Stronger than most males in their late 20's, and he's only 23. He seems to overpower almost everybody, not just with technique, but with physical strength.

What is this specimen's secret? Is he lifting weights? Kettlebells? Or hardcore bodyweight stuff?

#4 ·
In before 'Rory is taking steroids and you know it!'.

P.S. To the OP, it´s perfectly normal to be stronger in the early 20's than in the late 20's if you work out since a young age.

#6 ·
Are you saying that because Rory's been working out since he was young (something we don't actually know) it's normal for him to be that strong at his age? I would imagine your strength peaks by your mid 30's. Guys who are 27 or so are really strong compared to when they are younger, I think.

Rory's super strong, I just want to know if he works out with weights or if it's purely bodyweight and stuff.

#9 ·
I would say Rory looking strong is due to him training *smarter not harder* with some of the best in the business at cultivating wrestling strength.

GSP and Rory manhandle ppl and look really strong because they have the best training methods for developing that type of strength. Anyone could develop the strength GSP and Rory have if they only knew how.

Developing that kind of strength isn't as easy as doing squats or running a lot. You're using different muscle groups. If a person took the time to study human anatomy and recognized which muscle groups were most important in successfully executing a takedown. Then, experimented to figure out how to best target and develop those muscle groups to their full potential -- they could probably enjoy a big advantage over others who aren't willing to go to those lengths.

I think at some point GSP and his trainers may well have done exactly that. That's the reason why GSP's legs are so massive in comparison to everyone else's and its also the reason why GSP and Rory have such dominant wrestling and top game.

#10 ·
Bingo! They train very differently from most. It's all functional strength, cross fit, and gymnastics. From what I know gymnasts are p4p the strongest; arms, shoulders, abs, core, back, quads, calves, etc. Body builders are more powerful, but we all know it doesn't quite translate to real striking power ala Super Mario. I do believe Overeem is one of the few exceptions because he trained in kickboxing and has the techniques. When he ballooned he just became "The Specimen." Roids along won't get you that...you still has to work hella hard in the gym to maintain it.

#13 ·
Developing that kind of strength isn't as easy as doing squats or running a lot. You're using different muscle groups. If a person took the time to study human anatomy and recognized which muscle groups were most important in successfully executing a takedown. Then, experimented to figure out how to best target and develop those muscle groups to their full potential -- they could probably enjoy a big advantage over others who aren't willing to go to those lengths.
Are you saying that they are doing unconventional exercises? Bodyweight or kettlebells or both? The type of functional strength you get can only really come from bodyweight and kettlebells is what my friend told me.

I mean, what do you consider to be 'functional training'? You talk a big game but you haven't given me my workout routine that Rory does.

#14 ·
You talk a big game but you haven't given me my workout routine that Rory does.
If he has a specific workout routine that gives him a considerable edge over his opponents, then there is a reason why random fans in the internet won't be able to tell you what exactly they do. That reason is called "a secret".

#23 ·
Wikipedia or sherdog are great for fight records,

Rory moved to 170, 2.5 months before his 20th birthday, approximately 8 months later he made his Ufc debut against the Mike Guymon

#25 ·
He really isn't all that strong

Everyone he has faced barring Condit have been favorable match ups to him but even then, Condit still has terrible TDD

Pyle has never been that great against wrestlers.

Che Mills is a British striker

Mike Guymon is well......Mike Guymon

He suplexed Nate in the third round but was still unable to keep Nate down and Guida already tossed Diaz through the air with a single leg. now obviously Nate has improved his strength along with his wrestling since then but it still isn't some incredible feat. not to mention Stun Gun already smothered him(before gassing of course) three months prior to his fight with Rory

Rory has some skills and certainly isn't weak but he doesn't have brutish strength.

#26 ·
Wrong Incognito, he IS that strong. Throwing around 6ft fighters light Nate Diaz shows amazing strength. It wasn't just the grappling, but the strikes and the way he hit Diaz, Pyle and Condit. You could feel the impact of the strikes that only a strongman can inflict. I felt like it was me being hit with a baseball bat just watching those fights on 1080i.

This Mills person may be a british striker but he is very strong defensive wrestling game, and is 5 years older than Rory and MacDonald made him look like a little girl. Do not imply that all the people Rory has beaten have had either weak strength or weak wrestling because that is not true. Look at Mills last fight, he was doing to the person what Rory did to him.

I think those pull ups Trix posted is what makes Rory so strong. His legs are super strong too, but I think that's from kettlebell swings and kettlebell single deadlifts. Nobody except GSP can beat Rory, I don't believe it

#31 ·
So Rory is a dude on roids who got screwed by Yamasaki the half mexican that was biased to a guy named Carlos in a fight he didn't even referee.

Nice thread. Continue.

P.s

Reactions: BlueLander
#34 ·
Rory wouldn't have won regardless, it would have been a draw unless some moron was judging, Condit clearly did enough to earn a 10-8.

#36 ·
Meh, doesn't really matter. What's done is done.

I'd be much more interested in a Rory vs. Carlos matchup today because of their previous encounter. Rory was able to come within inches of winning a fight against Condit then... imagine what he could do now. But then also take into account Condit's progression. Rory vs. Carlos II would be a damn good fight, and I'm hoping they'll book it after Macdonald stomps Penn.

#41 ·
Except Mario is Brazillian.

If you don't want to get into race related discussions, please stop making comments like that and bringing race into things constantly.

Lets just talk MMA, my friends.

Reactions: Killz
#42 ·
Just watched the Condit v MacDonald fight and I don't think it was a bad stop. The ref stopped at the ten second mark and Rory looks on another planet when he gets up. Ten more seconds and Condit could have dropped 3 - 5 more good shots. Not ideal, but the ref is not there to watch the clock, they are there for fighter safety. Condit would have lost the decision but he won the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.