Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Hendricks: "My jiu-jitsu is better than my hands"

5K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Sportsman 2.0 
#1 ·
“That’s why I laugh when people say ‘we’ve figured out your left hand.’ My boxing isn’t my strong point. It’s something I’ve only been doing for five years; I’ve only been striking for five years. I’ve done wrestling my whole entire life,” Hendricks told MMAWeekly Radio. “So if anybody’s going to say anything, wrestling is my strong point. I feel my jiu-jitsu is better than my hands.”

Wrestling is a weapon that St-Pierre has established very well over the last several years, but former NCAA champion Hendricks isn’t backing down from a grappling match with the Canadian icon.

“I can only get better. Look at how much better I got in just three months of being able to focus on training. I’m still developing as a fighter; I’ve only had 14 fights in my career. I think once I hit 20 fights that’s where I’m going to be at my peak,” said Hendricks.

“Always improving, that’s the No. 1 goal of mine.”

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/433831/Hendricks-My-jiu-jitsu-is-better-than-my-hands/

#6 ·
Come to think of it not many fighters can KO people with one shot consistently.

Mirko without a doubt was the deadliest. I mean once it landed that was it. Done.
Hendo
Rampage
Fedor
Edson Barboza probably has one of the sweetest KOs ever. Too bad it was against Terry Etim cuz he's a dope fighter.

#11 ·
It actually reminds me of the sort of thing Greg Savage..who I generally despise was talking about when he said a lot of MMA fans aren't really sports fans.

And that in a lot of ways they are sort of the least common denominator.....

I can't see any other way that so many dudes think this Sonnen guy is somehow groundbreaking and entertaining.

It's groundbreaking if the only other sport you've watched is competitive eating. Because honestly, Fuzzy Zoeller would probably give Sonnen a run for his money.

#13 ·
Sonnen's pretty funny and can hype the shit out a fight, but yeah pretty much. He's no Muhammad Ali. Although now that I think of it, it just goes to show how wrestling got shit. Muhammad Ali took his persona I believe from Gorgeous George, and people thought he was a genius for channeling a professional wrestler into his boxing character. Sonnen doesnt it now, and people say he should feck off to the WWE with all his fake and stupid shit talking and leave the industry too the fighters.

#19 ·
Power is the equalizer my friend. Kampmann is miles ahead of johnny didn't matter. Thing with Hendrickson you don't get second chances he can make a hundred mistakes and you need to only make one and it's over. Reminds me some of Henderson. I think George would beat him but I wouldn't be shocked if johnny stuffed a take down and counter wrestled long enough to land a shot like Condit did.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

#24 ·
I just Watched the Hendricks Vs Story Fight again Yesterday.... Even though though it was a really close fight, Story was able to muscle Johnny around when he wanted too.

I know Johnny has improved since then, but GSP is a freaking BEAST at 170 and will but him on his back fast. I guess Johnny has 5 rounds to land that 1 punch... That's the only way he has a chance.

#27 ·
I'm not sure how vocal I've been on this forum about Hendricks, but I've been praising Rig for some time now. He will beat GSP. He has the beard to take GSP's strikes, solid wrestling to prevent the constant takedowns, and the power in his hands to put the champ down. GSP won't be able to bully Johnny like Story did in the clinch, he just wont have the great size and strength advantage. The only chance GSP has is to drag Hendricks into unfamiliar territory, and see what kind of tank he has.

#31 ·
GSP's jab will be the difference, IMO. He'll get that lower stance (not straight up and squared up like Kampmann), turn his shoulders to lengthen his reach, and pump that long jab out there.

It's hard to wing lefts when you're being constantly peppered with a quick/stiff jab, and/or dumped onto your back.

It also appeared that Hendricks landed those bombs only when he had his opponent backing up.
GSP will most likely alternate circling and coming forward; anything but go straight back.

Once Hendricks realizes he can't blast GSP out with one big shot, I'm guessing he will lose via GSP top-control decision.

#32 ·
How can anyone take a guy named Canadian Psycho seriously? Of course he is going to be all over George's nuts. I guess to him KOing Fitch which GSP couldnt do in 50 minutes is just a joke. Or KOing Kampman who has been wailed on and never finished like that. Or Wrestle F%ck!ing and out boxing Koscheck .....well I guess GSP did do that. So yes in all fairness Hendricks hasnt fought anyone good at all.......This is coming from someone who is not even that big a fan of Hendricks. He can beat GSP.....its just simply a matter of him doing it. Which nobody but Matt Serra has seem to be able to do in...YEARS!!!

#34 · (Edited)
I think Hendricks can win but will he....I dont imagine so. Plus Im not really a fan of either guy. THey are okay I just dont get excited for their fights, Ill watch them but they are not like my top priorities. Either way I think Hendricks has a decent shot...just like everyone else. Its just a matter of doing it. Plus after reading your post again it makes me feel like you didnt read or understand my post because I didnt say Hendricks was going to win. I said he could. I guess there is a language barrier there because in all honesty i dont think Hendricks is going to beat him.

#37 ·
Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not writing Hendricks off. Truth be told, I never write any fighter off. Anyone can win on any given night. I just don't give Hendricks much of a chance against GSP. That's not to say I don't give him any chance, period. There is a difference.

I also understand that Johnny has solid wins. I've never said otherwise. But Martin Kampmann, Josh Koscheck, and Jon Fitch are not Georges St. Pierre. And acting as though Johnny is somehow superior to GSP because one knocked out Fitch in 12 seconds while the other dished out a five round beat down just seems asinine to me. By that same logic I could say that GSP is more impressive because he broke Josh Koscheck's face whilst Johnny Hendricks barely left with a victory. It's all quite silly.

At the end of the day, Johnny can talk about how good he is, but he's not stepping in there with Kampmann, Fitch, or Koscheck. He's stepping in there with the greatest WW to have ever lived. He can convince me he's better than GSP by defeating GSP.

#43 ·
What the hell does nationalism have to do with anything?

I think Weidman would beat Anderson, I hope BJ slaps the shit out of Rory, does that somehow make me prejudice against a certain nationality? No. lmao

#44 ·
Well I like Croissants......I mean Canada does have some awesome stuff like.....Annihilator 3 Inches Of Blood,and Strapping Young Lad....oh and Pamela Anderson and Shania Twains hot ass. Anyway I think GSP wins. Johnny has a chance though. Like any fighter in ya know....a fight.

#47 ·
Hendricks won't come close to beating GSP. Heavy handed wrestler? GSP has fought like 75% heavy handed wrestlers in his career. It's literally his specialty.

Someone like Maia is the only guy with an interesting style and drive to pose a threat to GSP. A guy with Sonnen like aggression, good take-downs and great off his back, add in a good chin and relatively good striking and he's a really interesting matchup.

But a boxer wrestler like Hendricks? IMO Hendricks is just a younger Koscheck, which was proved more or less in the very evenly matched SD fight with Kos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.