Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Ronda Rousey Talks UFC Debut, GSP on Women’s MMA, Sex Before Fighting, and Zombies

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  RWCNT 
#1 ·
The MMA world has been buzzing ever since Ronda Rousey was announced as the first ever woman to sign with the UFC.

Over the last year, Rousey has quickly become one of the sport’s biggest stars and now that she’s in the UFC, that star power will only grow. The newest addition to the list of champions in the Octagon hadn’t done any interviews about her new UFC deal until Wednesday night when she appeared on Jim Rome’s new sports program on Showtime.

Of course the major point of interest for Rousey’s appearance was her new UFC contract, which marks the first time the promotion has ever signed a women’s fighter, and now the entire bantamweight division will join their champion in the Octagon in 2013.

Rousey was obviously excited by the opportunity to sign on with the UFC, but inking a contract is only the start for the work she believes is still ahead for her.

“There’s so much more that I want to do, that like once it happened I was like “yes this is amazing!” and then right after I’m like now I have to fight, now I have to do this, so I’m very, very excited, but I really didn’t spend that much time dwelling on it because there’s so many more things that I have to get done now that that’s happened,” Rousey stated.

“I need to prepare for my fight coming up. I can’t just sit around and do a little dance about getting signed, I’ve got to win my fight.”

The fight Rousey is talking about hasn’t been announced yet, but it appears there are initial signs that something could be coming very soon. A few names have been rumored as Rousey’s potential first opponent with fellow Strikeforce transfer Liz Carmouche leading the way as a possible candidate.

No matter who the fighter ends up being, Rousey knows that the initial celebration about signing and being the first woman in the UFC doesn’t really matter much if she doesn’t go out and perform in her bout.

Rousey Addresses Georges St-Pierre’s Recent Comments on Women’s MMA

“It’s good for her,” UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently said about Rousey’s arrival in the organization. “I’m happy for the girls that fight, but me personally I have a hard time watching the girls fight. It’s the way I grew up maybe, the mentality, I’m different, I’m old school, but I have a hard time watching girls fighting, it’s hard for me.”

St-Pierre’s comments were met with some harsh criticism by many of the female fighters who took offense to his statement that he was not a fan of women’s MMA.

Count Rousey among them because she was not a fan of St-Pierre’s remarks, and believes they are akin to boxing fans who sometimes discount mixed martial arts without really appreciating what goes into the sport.

“Initially the way that he said it, it reminds me a lot like when you listen to boxing fans that are like “oh the MMA fighters, they’re good athletes, and they’re talented and good for them, but I can’t stand to see guys humping on the ground like that, it’s not a real man’s sport, good for them that they make money” that kind of prejudiced against it,” Rousey stated.

“He seems to have very much that same kind of prejudice towards women in MMA, and he said it as tactfully as possible, that doesn’t make it a tactful thing to say.”

Based on her initial response via Twitter, Rousey says she found herself in the crosshairs of some strong criticism, but she’s not backing down from standing up for women’s MMA whether it’s Georges St-Pierre or anyone else making the comments.

“People were getting mad at me for being like that’s wrong. But if there’s an absence of debate, I think that just pretty much means acceptance of it,” said Rousey. “These girls when they go out to fight, they’re pouring their hearts out, they deserve to be celebrated and not just merely tolerated.”

Rousey Talks About “Abstaining” from Sex Before a Fight

There’s an old ideology in sports that you shouldn’t engage in sex for a certain amount of time leading up to competition.

Some boxers say they abstain from any sex for six weeks leading up to a contest, and the mythology has been studied by different doctors with some supporting the claim, and other shooting it down as not backed up by biological fact.

For her part, Rousey goes in the opposite direction because she’s a woman.

“For girls it raises your testosterone, so I try to have as much sex as possible before I fight actually. Not with like everybody, I don’t put out like a Craigslist ads or anything, but if I got a steady I’m going to be like “yo, fight time’s coming up”,” Rousey said with a laugh.

She went on to point out that there have been studies done that show men who abstain for months leading up to a fight, the practice can actually backfire in their physical readiness for competition.

But there are always drawbacks as Rousey put bluntly, “You can’t (expletive) somebody and go fight that day.”

Rousey on Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Rome asked Rousey a varied number of questions during her time on the show, and she addressed them all point blank and with honest, candid responses. Rousey talked about her desire to punch Kim Kardashian in the face, and a few other topics, but none quite as interesting as what she would do in the face of a zombie apocalypse.

“(Expletive) houseboats. Houseboats,” Rousey said when asked where she would go.

“It depends on the kinds of zombies you’re dealing with, if you have slow, all the time slow daytime zombies or you could have sprinting fast nighttime zombies, like in 28 Days Later, so it would kind of really depend. I would lean more towards houseboats, if it was sprinting nighttime zombies cause then you could just go out at night and just come back and chill during the daytime, just live on a boat, it would be cool.”

As far as I remember, GSP never really said anything disrespectful towards Rousey, just that WMMA didn't appeal to him. Which is a fair honest opinion

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ronda-rous...on-womens-mma-sex-before-fighting-and-zombies

#3 ·
What's everybodies deal with GSP's comments? He said his happy for them but he personally isn't watching women fight. He never disrespected them or doubted their abilities. Just his personal opinion and didn't say everybody has to feel the same way.

#6 ·
As Ronda says he said it as nicely and politically correct way he could. That doesn't mean where he was coming from was disappointing to her.

She probably feels that he has been in many gyms with women practicing BJJ and TK along side him. She is a Judo. There is/was a woman like Cyborg. She feels that GSP as a martial artist should appreciate their skills and backing their existence to compete and show those skills on that level.

I've been against Women in the UFC but not Women's MMA. I'm just not interested in whatever kind of division they put together. I am interested in Ronda. But it about stops there.

GSP didn't say anything wrong. But she probably felt like he would back women in the sport more than that and not making it seem cringe-worthy.

I'm not gonna lie, I only clicked on this topic because I saw "Ronda Rousey" and "sex".
Agreed. If I were her boyfriend I would be pushing Dana for more fights. She's probably wild as hell the week before the fight. Judo Chop!

#13 ·
GSP would make Rousey orgasm quickly. His hips are fast, mobile and powerful ;)

I love GSP. His stance on women's MMA is my exact stance. It was what i was trying to get across before when everybody attacked my view. I'm old school, I don't want to see women get hurt. A REAL man wouldn't want to watch women brusing each other to the point of non recognition. That's not normal. Women are not built for that, they are delicate

#19 ·
While I disagree with GSP's opinion, it's not tactless. Rhonda should look the word tact up in a dictionary next time she preps for an interview since she's built her short career on having none. I'm all for no tact, don't get me wrong, but calling one of the most respectful champions in MMA tactless when you're openly talking about your sex life and hanging out with guys who border on Asperger's level social dysfunction is the pot calling the kettle black and then telling it to use the back of the bus. :confused03:

This is obviously a ploy to stand on GSP's shoulders whilst besmirching his name to get more hype for her debut...

Secondly(and more importantly), house boats are shit for zombie invasions. Zombies can't drown, and have no air in their lungs to make them float. They can just wait under the water forever. Not to mention, we don't know for sure the virus/curse/radiation won't affect animals in the same fashion. Zombie alligators/crocodiles? Zombie sharks? Zombie squid? No thanks! I'll take my chances on the roof or in the tree tops. Go up the stairs, then destroy them!

#22 ·
While I disagree with GSP's opinion, it's not tactless. Rhonda should look the word tact up in a dictionary next time she preps for an interview since she's built her short career on having none. I'm all for no tact, don't get me wrong, but calling one of the most respectful champions in MMA tactless when you're openly talking about your sex life and hanging out with guys who border on Asperger's level social dysfunction is the pot calling the kettle black and then telling it to use the back of the bus. :confused03:

This is obviously a ploy to stand on GSP's shoulders whilst besmirching his name to get more hype for her debut...

Secondly(and more importantly), house boats are shit for zombie invasions. Zombies can't drown, and have no air in their lungs to make them float. They can just wait under the water forever. Not to mention, we don't know for sure the virus/curse/radiation won't affect animals in the same fashion. Zombie alligators/crocodiles? Zombie sharks? Zombie squid? No thanks! I'll take my chances on the roof or in the tree tops. Go up the stairs, then destroy them!
Thanks for the laugh! Yah she's a female version of the Diaz Bros except she's a bit more articulate.

Zombie crocs and squid...roflz!

#20 ·
“For girls it raises your testosterone, so I try to have as much sex as possible before I fight actually. Not with like everybody, I don’t put out like a Craigslist ads or anything, but if I got a steady I’m going to be like “yo, fight time’s coming up”,” Rousey said with a laugh.
So if she doesn't have a "steady" ill just assume her coaches and training partners are getting some action, possibly and most likey "group" action... dirty Ronda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.