Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Bisping crowns himself Strikeforce 185-pound champ

7K views 62 replies 28 participants last post by  RangerClydeTheBlue 
#1 ·
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/30/...ael-bisping-luke-rockhold-mma-uncensored-live

UFC 185-pound contender Michael Bisping claims to be the unofficial Strikeforce Middleweight Champion after sparring with Luke Rockhold. Here's what "The Count" told the gang at MMA Uncensored Live.

After pulling out of his Lorenz Larkin fight due to injury, there's a very good chance that Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold will join the ranks of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as the last man to hold the promotion's 185-pound strap.

There's just one problem.

That's a title UFC middleweight contender Michael Bisping already (unofficially) has, seeing as how "The Count" got a taste of what the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) product had to offer on the feet. After a few minutes of exchanging leather, the brash Brit was considerably underwhelmed.

From his appearance on MMA Uncensored Live:
"Luke Rockhold? By all accounts he and Lorenz Larkin should fight and the winner of that fight -- if not both of them -- go over to the UFC. Are they gonna come over and be number one contenders? I don't think so. You're in Strikeforce, come over to the UFC and earn your place. Let me put it like this: I've sparred with Luke Rockhold recently and let's just say I'm the unofficial Strikeforce champion. Sorry Luke, but these are the facts."
Rockhold (10-1) will no longer be a part of the Strikeforce: "Champions" event, which serves as the Showtime network's final mixed martial arts (MMA) broadcast (that we know of) on Jan. 12, 2013 from the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

And Bisping?

He'll try to get that elusive middleweight title shot against Anderson Silva, one that's eluded him for years, by throwing hands opposite Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX 7 from Ginasio Estadual Geraldo Jose de Almeida in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Jan. 19, 2013.

A win could get him "The Spider," but would a loss get him Rockhold?

Time will tell.
To be honest, I believe Bisping.

#11 ·
The only behind the scenes story I can remember of closed door sparring was Anderson beating Vitor in training and in a championship fight.

I don't think Luke is really that good at all though. He's gonna be mid tiered once he enters the eight sided cage.

#12 ·
So first it was with Bisping the winner of Belfort/Bisping should be the number one contender.

Then it was the winner of Belfort/Bisping should be the MW interim champion.

Finally screw the UFC crap he should be the Strikeforce champion.

On one hand he's a delusional twit, on the other-hand he did win the Ultimate Fighter by beating Matt Hamill in practice.

BTW ofcourse he wants Larkin/Rockhold winner in the UFC guy knows Jacare will destroy him.

#16 ·
Bisping Vs Belfort SHOULD be for the number 1 contender spot. And with this Strikeforce stuff, man do you guys have ANY banter? He's not saying he should actually be the Strikeforce champ. It's like when I have a decent spar with my karate sensei and I joke to my mate "Next week I think I'll be taking the class". Bisping is defending his spot because he thinks Rockhold might get an instant title shot like Diaz did, and he's trying to put him in his place, all the while making the joke about being the new Strikeforce champ.

Come on guys, don't let you hatred make you stupid.

#19 ·
Bisping can be funny sometimes.

But his title aspirations are about to meet an ugly end.

#21 ·
Semantics (run on sentence time) he got the title shot but was removed from the title fight that didn't happen anyways because GSP was injured and then he lost the interim fight to Condit but he still got suspended so he wasn't going to fight for the title in a year.

#22 ·
Bisping I absolutely believe would smash Rockhold. I don't get the hate the guy gets, everyone swung from Bispings sack when he was but a lower mid tier fighter and somewhere between then and now it became the in thing to bury him as a fighter. Problem is that Bisping has actually became a damn good fighter since then and is a legit top 5 MW IMO. Will he ever be champ? Likely not but don't kid yourself there isn't a MW outside the UFC he would not smash.

#28 ·
Ofcourse you think Bisping is the better fighter because he's from England and most of you are homers. Which is fine, but...

He's been in the top ten for 3/4 years in which case he's gone 1-3 against top ten fighters. He finally beats Brian Stann and he's now ready to fight for a title? The thing is I want to not trash Bisping I really do but when you lose a round to Jason f'n Miller and you need to cheat to beat Jorge Rivera I can't I just can't.

People say Weidman hasn't earned it, wins over Boetsch, Maia, and Munoz should get you a title shot. Especially when you consider he didn't lose a round Jason Miller, he doesn't screw up in fights that cause point deductions, he hasn't lost a fight.

The guy ran down Henderson, Sonnen, Rockhold, and Weidman, now I don't know if all four guys can beat him but he's 0-2 and I don't see him "smashing" ie finishing either Rockhold or Weidman.

I'd love for him to fight Anderson Silva, so I personally don't have to see these trumped up main events with Bisping and deal with the drama from his fans.

Ultimately I wish I could walk away from these threads but unlike Bisping I'm not shameless.

#29 ·
I feel like Silva/Bisping would go just like Silva/Bonnar, Anderson would stand there, drop his hands and let him hit him, send Bisping into a panic where he spams takedowns and then Anderson would just finish him with a knee or something. No striker is going to beat Anderson unless you get like a Tyrone Spong at 185, he's fought guys with better hands than Bisping like Vitor and he beat them, he's fought better wrestlers in Chael and beat them.

The only time he's been put in danger is against guys who could wrestle him, Chael, Lutter, Henderson. Lutter even mounted him, that is what makes Weidman the most interesting fight for him at 185 and the most dangerous. Bisping is a guy who gets most of his finishes with volume punching or out-wrestles them like he did Stann, he can't use either to beat or even threaten Anderson.

#34 ·
looks like politics to me

Bisping has a hard time earning a legitimate contender spot for some reason (that I have no idea about)
he's calling Luke out for a 1st contender match that could be considered as legitimate

#38 ·
looks like politics to me

Bisping has a hard time earning a legitimate contender spot for some reason (that I have no idea about)
he's calling Luke out for a 1st contender match that could be considered as legitimate
Its because he loses the big ones...he lost to Sonnen granted many felt he won that one but he left it in the proverbial hands of the judges. He is a good fighter beating the guys he should beat like Miller Jason and Dan, Riveria but has problems with better fighters like Sonnen, Henderson, Silva. I expect Vitor to knock his head into the third row.

#36 ·
Rockhold has never done anything that would make me believe he is even close to Bisping's level.

I'd have him fight Brian Stann... maybe Mark Munoz. Although I'd pick Rockhold to lose either of those fights.

#43 ·
i simply don't like him because he is being a dick

sometimes i can't tell if he is trying to talk himself up the latter which i have no problem with or if he's just being a dick which i do have a problem with. For instance if he were to come out and start talking about silva belfort or weidman i would have no problem with that because he is challenging the best and trying to get up the later and honestly he is a threat but talking about a strike force champ who has no bearing on the situation is a dick move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.