MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Thread

View Single Post

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
GrappleRetarded
Banned

GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM33 View Post
If you watch the fights, you'll see that Gustaf is not just hype. It doesn't matter who's on his record, just watch the way he fights... he's good.

He didn't finish Thiago Silva... so? He dropped him in the first minute then out-maneuvered him all night, beat him up nicely. Thiago dazed him with a hook... so? It was Thiago's only decent attack and Gus handled it well. Then carried on tooling him.

If he loses to Shogun, it doesn't mean he's hype. It means he fought a tried and true hard man with much more experience than himself. Look at the betting lines, Gustaf is actually favorite.
He's being hyped as a legitimate threat to Jon Jones, and I don't buy that hype for one single second. I don't think he'd be able to do any better than Jones' previous opponents. In fact, I think he'd get obliterated in the first round by Jones. And yes, I have watched his fights, all of his UFC fights to date.

I'm not saying he isn't a top ten fighter, he is, but a Jon Jones killer? Absolutely not. His boxing is.....good, his over all grappling seems to be just above average and he still hasn't been tested against a really competent grappler looking to take him down since the Phil Davis fight.

Again, like I mentioned in the other thread with Rory Macdonald, I don't see a single area in which Gustaffsson really excels in. You'll say his hands, but I don't think they are that out standing. He was getting lit up badly on the feet by James Te Huna.

He's got decent hands and is a competent grappler. Sorry, but that skill set just doesn't cut it if he wants to pose some kind of legitimate threat to Jon Jones.

I think Shogun will pull a James Te-Huna, rush Gus on the feet, bombard him with shots, BUT not get out grappled and beaten up on the ground like Te-Huna did.

Shoguns coming for that knock out and then it's back to square one for The Mauler.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote