Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Neck Crank: Should it be banned?

11K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  killua 
#1 ·
Guys, I am a huge fan of Demian Maia and his techinique and as much I loved how he tooled Rick Story to a perfect finish, I was wondering about the risks of that maneuver.

It's a perfectly legal move today, but if you consider Big Nog had his arm broken for delaying the tap and also Miesha Tate had her arm trashed for the same reason, Rick Story could be very dead right now or paralized forever if delayed the tap. What if he went out in the process and suddenly relaxed his muscles? :eek:

The scary name says it all: Neck crank.

What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well no one is going to delay taping to a neck crank. This isn't an IBJJF tournament. It's MMA, as much needs to be legal as possible, especially on the ground because too many guys get DQ'd on bullshit at tournaments with illegal techniques. No one wants to see that shit in MMA.

#3 ·
Guys have the option to tap, if you feel like your neck is about to get snapped you need to tap like Story.

#7 ·
No, neck cranks need to stay legal. The fighters are robbed of enough techniques as it is. We're not only talking straight neck cranks from the back position here, we're talking about the twister, last year's submission of the year. I guess the can opener could be classified as a neck crank as well although it's rarely used as a submission hold these days.

#10 ·
Ain't that the truth. There is nothing more annoying than someone cranking on your neck even though it is obvious they aren't going to get the tap. Instead they just squeeze for dear life, knowing your neck is going to be in pieces for weeks. The catch is when I get my head out, I am looking to destroy.

It's an interesting point really. What if guys just refuse to tap? Will there neck break? Anyone ever hear of this happening?

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It would be really hard to actually put a ban on it as it's the natural back up plan while the victim is defending the rear naked.

But the concern remains. The risk is higher then in other techniques (outside the other cranks mentioned), IMO. The "everybody would tap" idea is very subjective. A fracture can happen in an instant while you believe you'll be Ok.

Did you see the blood spurting from Story's nose? Tht indicates that along the crank, the blood flow in his veins was being constricted as well, increasing the blood pressure in his brains. He could pass out before tapping. The natural tendency in a perfect rear naked is the attacker to continue the squeeze as the guy goes limp while in the crank should be to continue the crank. Scary at least.

#13 ·
I'll try to be as concise as possible. The ref is there to try and protect the fighters, if he sees someone go out then it is his job to call the fight in time and prevent any further danger. That is part of his job.

As a fighter, your #1 job is to make sure you don't die. That includes realizing that no one will think you are a bitch, chicken, coward, etc, because you tapped to a sub. I am not going to blame a fighter for breaking an arm, neck, etc, as long as he follows the rules and broke off when the ref told him to.

There are enough rules in place, we really don't need anymore.

#19 · (Edited)
Mark Coleman has two nasty wins by neck crank.

Any mma fan who hasn`t watched all of Coleman and Randleman`s old fights in the UFC owes it to their self to watch them to see why we have weight classes and fouls in the first place. These guys absolutely destroyed people simply by being too big and too strong to deal with. If they got on top of you they could just pop your head right off with a neck crank or tie your hands up and just cave your skull in with headbutts caveman-style. I`ve always suspected that Ken Shamrock`s `broken hand` forfeit at UFC 11 was just a realization that if he got in there with Coleman he was going to get completely mangled. Coleman won a UFC tournament via being too scary for Shamrock to f*** with. Just beastly.

Randleman has a great `taste of your own medicine` moment when he comes up against Tom Erikson and finds out what it`s like to be the little guy and just gets his lunch served to him. It`s in a tournament in Brazil where Randleman is just running through everyone, then he tries that on Erikson and just gets served. That dude was freaking enormous.

In this pic he makes Randleman look like a little kid fighting an adult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.