• Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

***OFFICIAL*** Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Thread

13K views 130 replies 50 participants last post by  HadouKEN 
#1 ·
Light Heavyweight bout: 205 pounds

See less See more
#44 ·

There's a recent picture of Shogun, he looks like he's in good shape but time will tell if his body can withstand the punishment.

#47 ·
Yah I'm with BC here. They should have put Alex vs someone else to set em up for the title fight, but not against Shogun.

This is going to be an interesting fight. One who moves laterally constantly picking angles vs a guy who pushes forward aggressively.

Without any favoritism, I think Gustaf might take the decision by knocking down Shogun, but not finishing em. Now if Gustaf finishes Shogun I will be helluve surprised. But I won't be surprised if Shogun finishes Gustaf.

#111 ·
Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. But it's in the books and the LHW title holder needs a true challenge. One with excellent movement and strong striking. If Gustaf doesn't take it, there can ONLY BE ONE!

Enter "The Spider."

#48 ·
When it comes to Shogun nowadays I just don't know. He looked good in the Machida fights and got the better of Forrest in the rematch, but then you look back at his fights against Forrest, Coleman and Vera and he looked awful.

Either Shogun gets Gustaf in the first round or Gustaf avoids the onslaught and finishes Shogun in the later rounds/wins a lopsided decision.

#57 · (Edited)
It's pretty crazy, Shogun is 6-4 in his last 10 with 6 KO wins, and 2 decision losses both of which were controversial.

His KOs come over the likes of Overeem, Liddel and Machida...

And he avenged 2 of the 4 losses with brutal KOs.

And people say he's washed up.

He also won the UFC LHW title during that run.

#58 ·
Excited to see these two gentlemen go to war. I like both of them and I think it will be an exciting fight.

I'm really shocked that Shogun is such an underdog. I don't think it will be an easy fight by any means, but I think Shogun has the toolsto pull it off. Gustaf is a great prospect and definitely a future contender, but I simply think that Shogun's striking, chin, and experience will be the deciding factors here.

Shogun takes a competitive decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.