Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Struve vs Hunt likely for UFC on Fuel 8 in Japan.

3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  GoodfellaGr 
#1 ·
Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt Likely for UFC on Fuel 8 in Japan​

A heavyweight fight has been confirmed for the UFC’s return to Japan as Stefan Struve will likely face off with Mark Hunt.

Sources close to the fight confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that verbal agreements are in place for the contest landing at Saitama Super Arena on March 2.

A winner of four fights in a row, Stefan Struve has slowly been making his climb into the top ten of the heavyweight division.

The Dutch fighter literally grew up inside the Octagon, and now looks to take another step towards his ultimate goal of earning a UFC title shot at some point in the future.

Standing in his way is former K-1 fighter Mark Hunt, who returns to his old stomping grounds in Japan for his next appearance in the UFC.

Hunt is a winner of three fights in a row including knockouts over Cheick Kongo and Chris Tuchscherer, and now hopes to add a 7-footer to his resume when he faces Struve.

While verbal agreements are in place, UFC officials have yet to announce the bout or where it may land on the UFC on Fuel 8 televised card.
Source: http://ht.ly/fNFan

Excited for this bout. Huge fight for Hunt. If he wins this fight he might be ready for a number 1 contender match. He better work on his takedown defence!

#6 ·
Struve by....tko.

A perfect place for this fight to happen. 7ft guy vs 5ft10 guy

#10 ·
Hunt via brutal KO. Struve isn't getting him to the ground and Hunt is a far better striker, who hits like an absolute truck, and Struve's chin is...well...not amazing.

#11 ·
This fight is not a gimmie but a winnable fight given to Hunt because I think the UFC brass believes its what the fans want is for Hunt to continue on his ascent up the ladder.

#28 ·
I'm really torn on this fight, it's either going one extreme way or the other.

Struve usually has a bad fight IQ and gets himself into precarious situations. If he can sweep Hunt early, he'll more than likely secure a sub.

Hunt, on the other hand is a bruiser. Big mismatch on height/reach, but his hands hit like donkey kicks and his chin is etched from granite. He connects, Struve will wake up the next day back in Holland wondering what the hell happened.

I'm going for my PRIDE boy Hunt via brutal KO Rd. 1 :thumb02:

#35 ·
I don't want to act like Hunt has some amazing record. And I like both of these guys. Struve has potential to be pretty good.

But who has Struve beat? Hunt gets overrated by his fans and Struve gets overrated by his. But who has Struve beat? Why do many people think he is Rickson Gracie? Because he sub'd Lavar Johnson and Pat Barry? Anytime he has fought a decent or good fighter he has gotten KO'd.

Rothwell and Kongo are probably both better than anyone Struve has beat.

If they roll around on the ground of course Struve has a big advantage. But if they stay standing Hunt has a huge advantage. Last I checked fights start standing. Last I checked Struve didn't have very good TDs.

They both have ways to win. But I think people are overrating Struve more than they are overrating Hunt.

Lavar Johnson and Pat Barry both have worse ground games than Hunt in my opinion.

#36 ·
I don't think it has as much to do with Struve and who he's beat as much as it does Hunt and who he's lost to, namely Sean McCorkle who didn't just beat him but finished him.

Because of that I can't take Mark Hunt seriously as a contender or a relevant fighter in MMA today, Sean McCorkle is pretty bad, and yeah it was two years ago but Hunt's "improved" ground game isn't really all that improved to me, I still remain adamant had he and Rothwell not fought in Colorado he'd have lost to him and I expect Struve to wrap him up fairly quickly.

I also don't care about his victory over Chieck Kongo, let's not act like Kongo's some world-beater who fought for the title in the past.

Either way, I'm not convinced either of these guys is a legit contender and I don't even think they're top ten and I certainly don't see them beating Junior, Cain, Reem, Cormier, or Barnett.

#39 · (Edited)
Hunt has sharpened his game since mcorkle. He had a huge layoff and was thinking it might be his last ufc fight

its not just about wins and losses and numbers of....

Hunt has been training hard for the first time in his life and is motivated

the funny thing is even if Hunt gets another big ko, i dont think it will change ppls opinions on him. Needs a top5 guy if he wins this imo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.